Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Until Dawn

Venser

Erudite
So I played this yesterday and I was really surprised by how bad it is. The framerate is very choppy even on the PS4 Pro and it feels like it's running at 15 FPS. The facial animation is hilariously bad, to call it an uncanny valley would be an understatement. Many PS3 games have more realistic looking faces. Every single character looks like a grinning psycho with dead eyes. The dialogues are painful to listen to, way worse than in those cheesy horror movies the game is trying to mimic. I like the fact that every character can die and the game does some cool things like using the motion controls and having you hold the controller as still as possible while the character is hiding for example. But I don't really get the love for this game. The best I can do is categorize it as "so bad it's good" because I laughed at the facial expressions the whole time.

orcinator

Liturgist
I remember a streamer played this and it just felt like one of those bad slasher movies that spend way too long making sure you know the characters are unlikable so you won't feel bad when they get butchered but since this was a full price (?) video game they had to stretch everything out so instead of spending an 45-60 minutes on these retards it takes several hours to get to the actual horror parts.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I own this game, but never completed it. I don't remember having any issues with the framerate or graphics. But what was irritating is that the actual "gameplay" bits are so few and far between that, when you finally have to do something to prevent a character from dying, you have so little practice with the mechanics that you invariably fail.

I think that there is an option that lets you automatically succeed all of the quicktime events. Maybe I'll give it another try this Halloween season with that option enabled.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I own this game, but never completed it. I don't remember having any issues with the framerate or graphics. But what was irritating is that the actual "gameplay" bits are so few and far between that, when you finally have to do something to prevent a character from dying, you have so little practice with the mechanics that you invariably fail.

I think that there is an option that lets you automatically succeed all of the quicktime events. Maybe I'll give it another try this Halloween season with that option enabled.

I got past all the rail shooter parts with no problem. :cool:

The worst was just the "hold controller still" thing since it's so ultrasensitive. I lost someone at the end because of that. :negative:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I got past all the rail shooter parts with no problem. :cool:

The worst was just the "hold controller still" thing since it's so ultrasensitive. I lost someone at the end because of that. :negative:

lol just put it on the table.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Played this game almost twice (years ago) and was never able to save all the kids. Weirdo from 007 got killed again, which disappointed me enough that I didn't finish that second playthrough.

I like 3D environments in fixed cameras more than pre-rendered backgrounds. Allows the devs to do more with the lighting and camera movement. Also meshes better with the 3D characters. Would have liked forward tilt of the stick to always move the character ahead, like in Resident Evil, so that you don't turn in the other direction when you enter an area, but the game barely has real gameplay anyway, so it wasn't like this more modern movement interfered with combat or something. Shame nearly everything is over the shoulder or first person now.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Until Dawn was pretty dope. Most importantly the girls weren't fuggos and all had nice keisters. The Quarry is supposedly a spiritual sequel to this so I'll probably get it when it goes on sale, as long as it's done in the same style as Until Dawn where you're frequently switching between a cast of characters. That's the only way a game like this works.

Nvm, diverse fuggos = no buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I knew Until Dawn was great when at the beginning you're looking for your friend, and you don't see him, and you see a bag that's not yours, so I asked the character to look at the bag and she exclaimed "uh no he's not in the bag!" .

SumDrunkGuy

I'm watchin a Let's Play of The Quarry and It seems to capture the feel of Until Dawn pretty well. Dumb slasher movie with spooky atmosphere and some lol worthy moments. Ted Raimi is great in it. I'll probably get it at some point, could make for a fun weekend.

LOL, there's not one but TWO fags in the game. There goes any chance of me purchasing this filth. Fuckin SJW degenerate pieces of shit can't help but worm their way in and destroy every. single. fucking. THING.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm watchin a Let's Play of The Quarry and It seems to capture the feel of Until Dawn pretty well. Dumb slasher movie with spooky atmosphere and some lol worthy moments. Ted Raimi is great in it. I'll probably get it at some point, could make for a fun weekend.

Nobody cares, nobody asked.

SumDrunkGuy

Nobody cares, nobody asked.

And I don't give a fuck about your opinion, bitchboy. Don't like my posts then put me on ignore. You're nothing.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished the Quarry with all main characters alive and enjoyed the ride. I had hoped the epilogue would be more extensive though.

I didn’t play Until Dawn, but I will certainly do so.

SumDrunkGuy

It seems to be about on par with Until Dawn in terms of writing. I just can't get over the fact that they shoehorned not one, but TWO fags into the game. Ridiculous. Soon entire casts will consist of shitdicks. Also it's worth noting that all of the straight white males are portrayed as complete idiots and losers while the women and shitdicks are the more bright and heroic characters.

I kind of want to hate it, but the supporting cast is really solid (Ted Raimi, David Arquette, Lance Henriksen, Grace Zebriskie, and Lin Shaye). They're actually better than the main cast, unsurprisingly. They're all veteran actors. Of the main cast I really only care about Laura. She's easy to root for and Siobahn Williams is cute.

Wow, this game has like the most abrupt shitty ending ever. It's probably better if Laura and Ryan survive. They seem like the most important characters and the streamer got them both killed which fucked everything. Very different from Until Dawn because that game had no clear protagonist. The cast was more balanced in terms of importance whereas this game has a lot more throwaway characters who do almost nothing.

I played Until Dawn very recently because my housemate got a new PS5 and it was on the storefront for free.

I think "non-game" is a good description. It's a linear story where most events don't matter but some choices will arbitrarily kill someone 3 hours later with no real way to know beforehand, making it very metagame heavy. Then there are all the choices which do literally nothing but maybe change a dialog line or two.

It's another one of those overhyped Telltale style games where they like to harp on forever about how important your choices are, but when you actually analyse it, most of your choices don't matter, the story is largely preset, and there's only a few significant things you can do.

Mix that with utterly insufferable millenial trash characters, and you have a game that is an absolute chore to play.

Wouldn't recommend.

SumDrunkGuy

some choices will arbitrarily kill someone 3 hours later with no real way to know beforehand
I don't remember it being like that at all. Pretty sure most if not all characters live or die based on the choices you make in the moment, not on something you did earlier.

some choices will arbitrarily kill someone 3 hours later with no real way to know beforehand
I don't remember it being like that at all. Pretty sure most if not all characters live or die based on the choices you make in the moment, not on something you did earlier.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the choice to snoop on the guys phonecall at the start factoring into him not trusting you later, resulting in death

SumDrunkGuy

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the choice to snoop on the guys phonecall at the start factoring into him not trusting you later, resulting in death
Do you remember the name of the character? I'm curious now.

Do you remember the name of the character? I'm curious now.

I think it's the girlfriend of the guy with the thick glasses

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think "non-game" is a good description.
There are rail shooter segments though. :M

It's another one of those overhyped Telltale style games where they like to harp on forever about how important your choices are, but when you actually analyse it, most of your choices don't matter, the story is largely preset, and there's only a few significant things you can do.
? It's a story where everyone or no one can die. "Most of your choices don't matter" is nonsense.

A series of decisions can lead to a character's inevitable death, but there is no point where a single decision will inevitably lead to a character's death much later.

SumDrunkGuy

I would pay big money for a horror game that has the C&C of Until Dawn but plays like a real survival horror game. Something like Resident Evil with real exploration, shooting, puzzles, etc, plus a cast of multiple playable characters who can all potentially die. Not sure why something like that can't be possible.

I think "non-game" is a good description.
There are rail shooter segments though. :M

These are barely relevant and very rare. Most of the gameplay involves walking around, pressing on interactables, and quicktime events. Non-game is accurate. Don't pretend it's more than it is

? It's a story where everyone or no one can die. "Most of your choices don't matter" is nonsense.

There are SOME critical choices, but most of them seem to be largely irrelevant. Maybe they will change a tiny bit of dialogue later, but that's it. Your average RPG has more choice and consequence than this, and your average RPG doesn't waffle on about how important your choices are.

The vast majority of choices and "butterfly effects" in this game do nothing other than make slight changes to character relationships, which doesn't really do anything.

https://until-dawn.fandom.com/wiki/Butterfly_Effect

A series of decisions can lead to a character's inevitable death, but there is no point where a single decision will inevitably lead to a character's death much later.
If you say so...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would pay big money for a horror game that has the C&C of Until Dawn but plays like a real survival horror game. Something like Resident Evil with real exploration, shooting, puzzles, etc, plus a cast of multiple playable characters who can all potentially die. Not sure why something like that can't be possible.
It'd be a lot of work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom