Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Upcoming and future role playing games

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I didn't think anyone would care about a mobile games developer

vazha

Arcane
Mebbe invite them to Codex so that at least we can try to convince them that Inquisitor combat is a no-no

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Plans with Paranormal Intelligence Bureau seem to have changed a bit.

https://www.kybernesis.com/pib-origins-coming-2018/
Paranormal Intelligence Bureau (PIB) is a series of turn-based tactics games in the style of XCOM and Final Fantasy Tactics. The games will focus on agents of the Bureau’s fight against horrors based on Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos. Or as he himself would call it, Yog-Sothothery. PIB Origins will explore the origins of the cast of PIB.

Introducing PIB Origins
The main Paranormal Intelligence Bureau game is a huge project. Because of this, we decided some time ago that PIB is going to be a series of smaller games, exploring the origin stories of the cast of PIB. Enter PIB Origins.

Our current cast consists of The Soldier, The Medic and The Parapsychologist. These three will be the main characters through the PIB Origins series. The first story in PIB Origins will be the origin story of the Soldier.

PIB Origins, a serier of smaller turn-based horror games
PIB Origins will be split into three smaller stories, which are part of a bigger story arch. Each story will feature three episodes. This way we can get PIB out much earlier to you, the player. In the past we stated that the Lovecraft mythos plays a huge role in PIB. But how does Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos interact with the PIB-universe you ask?

To pique the interest of all you Lovecraft fans out there, we made a spoiler-free list of some select entities playing a role in the PIB-universe.

• Great Cthulhu and the Great Old Ones.
    • The daemon sultan Azathoth and the Other Gods and their soul and messenger Nyarlathotep.
    • All-knowing, all-seeing Yog-Sothoth, the gate, the key and the guardian. Said to be guarding the veil between realities, time and space.
    • Lovecraft’s more mortal races like The Elder Things with their abominable Shoggoths, the Mi-Go from the planet Yuggoth and the time travelling Great Race of Yith.
    • The increasing corruption from the thinning of the veil also transforms the worlds flora and fauna into the more common monsters of legend: Vampires, Werewolves, Ghouls, Zombies, Ghosts and more.
Furthermore, we can now reveal that the first episode of PIB Origins will be available for purchase in 2018!

The Zebrina
Like we mentioned, our first origin story will introduce The Soldier. He served on board the infamous ship, The Zebrina. According to official sources, The Zebrina was transporting coal from Falmouth, UK to St. Brieuc, France. Two days later, the ship was (in)famously found ashore on Rozel Point, south of Cherbourg, with no sign of the crew. The first episode of PIB Origins will include our version of what actually happened to the crew during those two days in 1917. More on this in upcoming posts.

Join the Paranormal Intelligence Bureau to stay updated on the newest screenshots, gameplay and features from PIB Origins!

As an extra treat, we present to you this theme music that our composer, Tristan Gray, exclusively composed for the Paranormal Intelligence Bureau. This will feature in the game. He calls it “Zebrina”. We will leave the rest up to your imagination.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everpath Release Date: TBA added to Action/Real-time
Shards of Ascension Release Date: TBA added to Action/Real-time
Dark Drive Release Date: Late 2018 added to Turn-based
Paranormal Intelligence Bureau Release Date: 2018 added to Tacticool
Ragtag Crew Release Date: 2019 added to Turn-based
Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story Release Date: 2018 added to Action/Real-time
Almost Alive Release Date: TBA (Available on Steam EA) added to Action/Real-time

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Make the Codex Great Again!
It's more adventure than RPG but I think it's should be here

UTOPIA

I should learn how he did such beautiful textures and improve SoS. Especially I like decals on the floor.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

UTOPIA

I should learn how he did such beautiful textures and improve SoS. Especially I like decals on the floor.

This looks unbelievably good.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

UTOPIA

This looks unbelievably good.

I don't know if you're referring to the whole development when you say it looks good or just the video posted, but that video doesn't look good at all, it's just a guy in a hazmat suit wandering around a junkyard. It looks like a hidden object game, a dingy one at that. I personally loathe background clutter in any game other than hidden object games and am a strong believer that everything in the game should be actually... part of the game, aside from very basic atmospheric broad brushstrokes.

This is the kind of thing people used to say looked unbelievably good:

icewind-dale-ii-0023.jpg

It's busy, detailed, with lots going on, but there's no clutter. The tiles being different shapes and sizes and colours makes the atmosphere seem busy, but it's not in any way cluttered. The only clutter is a small area on the desk, just a little suggestion of personality being all you need to feed the scene.

In terms of junkyards:

th

The Fallout games are post apocalyptic and yet they are still non-cluttered, clean, conserving as much space and time for gameplay as possible.

Hidden object games though? Sure:

screen1.jpg

It's my biggest criticism of games like Shadowrun. All that shit on the screen, and fuck all of it actually does anything:

c0d56723641a108a2290f4ea32373e87.jpg

Just look at it, all that space but only, what, 40% of it is even gameplay space? You're trying to squash my game out with so much shit nowadays I can barely even see any game.

I don't care what their pixel count was nor the effort that junkyard took, all I saw was a guy in hazmat suit wandering around a hidden object game preparing to play Where's Wally for a health kit.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Can I congratulate you Abu Antar for this amazing thread, it's exactly the kind of thread that's needed and I'm glad someone's stepped up to the plate to actually do it.

So I hope you don't find it too depressing when I say that, after spending a good few hours checking out all the released turn-based RPGs and RTwP RPGs in the OP I really couldn't find a single one that really stood out as something in the hidden gem category. Sure there are some games which looked interesting and some that looked very playable, but they were rarely ever what you'd call regular RPGs, nor even close to regular RPGs. I still came away from the examination thinking "So there's that Vogel remake and PoE2..."

Tower of Time looked interesting, but not in an RPG sense, just in an arcade sense, but then you look at it's recommendations and the fucker wants a 16GB RAM to play a barely AA hybrid kinda-actiony RPGish beat'em up come tower defence? FFS.

Dark Quest 2 looked like it might have something going for it, but then all the codex posts about it are about it's terrible UI and the lacklustre combat in a game that is predominantly combat.

I can't even remember which one it was, but there was one that looked half interesting but there's this big square that flashes white every time you click somewhere on the map to walk to, and I mean big, and really flashing. Watching it for 30 seconds started to irritate the crap out me, they really let that stay for the whole game?

Look up another game and it nearly blows my eardrums out as the game seems to think I want to listen to the musical equivalent of someone falling into a cadre of metal bins full of empty metal cans every time combat starts.

It goes on and on.

Saying that, there's a couple there I'd be tempted by, but not to quench my RPG itch, more the kind of games you'd play for an afternoon as a sorbet to better games. Or games where you're bored of RPGs having run a long stint of them and fancied something completely different for a bit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... some shit ...

The game belongs to the adventure genre and it's definitely not a role-playing game therefore your complain about gameplay is stupid.

Below is a gameplay video :) Lots of walking and clicking.

Second of all, the game is in prototyping phase and it looks better than most games released nowadays.

In fact it reminds me of the unreleased Troika project:

Please dare say that this looks bad :)

Third thing is that I also like non-cluttered environments but I also understand that cluttered environments do make sense in certain scenarios.

In fact, garbage should be everywhere in a post-apocalyptic world and Fallout's world is really too clean in this aspect.

And the last thing I want to say is that: calling you a retard is redundant.

If you had any idea how hard is to create such visuals then you would simply shut the fuck up. Entire companies (like inXile or Harebrained) cannot create such visuals or atmosphere.

This the unbelievably good part. The visuals are top-notch and if they manage to deliver a good story then the final product will probably be great. Almost certainly.

PS. Don't bother to answer. I really don't give a fuck about your prestigious shit.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://digitalgameworks.com/index.php/the-days-of-the-dead/
X-COMBAT ACTIONS: THE DAYS OF THE DEAD

October 1968

The dead have begun rising from their graves in search of human prey.

In a year of epic political and social turmoil across much of the globe, the madness of 1968 would culminate in October with the Northeastern United States Zombie Outbreak. The CIA's Special Operations Group mobilized its Covert 'Black Ops' Hunter-Killer Team, Task-Force 23, in a desperate attempt to contain and suppress the epidemic from the general public.

X-COMBAT ACTIONS: THE DAYS OF THE DEAD

Be on the front lines of the covert ground campaign waged by the United States Government
against the Project Omega UnDead in the Fall of 1968.

tdotd_prss.jpg

The Dead have Risen...

Striking fully Animated 3D Graphics, Immersive Sound and Special Effects, all combine in a Skirmish Level game that's as personal as it gets-- 'Mano a Mano' or 'Mano a Muerto' (as the case may be), bringing a sense of immediacy and danger to every mission.

tdotd_ss01.jpg

'UnDeadly' Turn Based Action...

Turn Based Gamer's want to kill some Zombies too and The Days of the Dead's turn based system is one that keeps you involved instead of putting you to sleep.

While staying true to turn based mechanics (no twitch game here), the game's random command activation system will at times make it feel as though you're playing more of a real time strategy game.

With any given action, enemy reaction can seem immediate or concurrent.

tdotd_ss02.jpg

X-Combat Actions: The Days of the Dead

Features...

- Scenario based Missions with randomly generated encounters that never quite play out the same.

- Linked Campaign Mode. Can you to keep your team intact throughout the entire campaign? (Hint: Probably not)

- Fully Animated 3D Graphics, Immersive Sound, and Special Effects

- Multiple Mission Areas and Weapon Systems / Unit Types

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom