Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline US Adults Are Spending Big On Video Games, Playing Mostly On Smartphones

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by ancholive, May 10, 2019.

1. Phos Savant Patron

Phos
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Humanity is doomed. Where is the reset button?

• decline x 12
    • incline x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    :despair:

:lol:

Yes, I'm sure many of them play those on a regular basis in the current year :roll:

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    Space is the only way out

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Catacombs Arbiter Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    I'm not a boomer and enjoy Wordfeud, which is basically Scrabble. I bought the game because I hate the ads between turns, and it has been a great decision. I also enjoy shitting on the boomers who do play the game.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. smaug Arcane Patron Shitposter

smaug
    There is no escape.

Bow down to your mobile overlords bitches.

:takemymoney:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    My 70 year old mother plays those candy puzzle games a lot.
    I'd imagine it's better for old people to be doing that than spending the time watching TV. Puzzles stimulate the brain and stuff

• Agree x 9
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. smaug Arcane Patron Shitposter

smaug
    It’s better than watching CNN and other shit news outlets.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. A_boring_GOG_bot Scholar

A_boring_GOG_bot
    This is the reason why Big Fish Games still exist .

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Never understood why I'm supposed to be upset about this shit. I mean it's annoying my wife has her head buried in 2048 or Candy Crush sometimes, but whatever. I like "real" games being more niche. Mainstream fucks everything up. Most of the bullshit you guys bitch about with articles demanding easy modes and female heroes and shit is all because of games getting more mainstream. Let the majority play puzzle shit on their phones, I'm happy to keep them away.

• Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Both my surviving grandparents are hardcore PC gamers and have codex accounts.

• incline incline x 4
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Poseidon00 Educated

Poseidon00
    Good, let the normies and whales get corralled into the mobile market while the PC genre goes back to being a somewhat obscure niche area with lots of quality content being put out like in the 90's.

I can dream right.

• incline x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • No x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Catacombs Arbiter Patron

Catacombs
    Don't forget Fox.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. belowmecoldhands Savant

belowmecoldhands
    I got an iphone a while ago and have played several different games on it. One thing I"ve noticed is the games, despite me trying to buy the ones I like, tend to be much simpler than the ones I've played on my pc. I first started playing PC games in 1994. I played some console games, starting with atari, to nintendo and turobgrafx 16, and on to the playstation and nintendo 64. But in sheer hours, I spent more time on my pc. I couldn't find anytyhing on the consoles like what I had on the pc. I don't even mean the power of the processor either, I mean niche simulations and obscure games--things which wouldn't be commercial enough on a console. And it's true today, but i'm not playing consoles anymore, instead I'm playing on the iphone. I think one of the reasons the games on iphone are simpler is because they're made with the interface (and battery) in-mind. For the case of my iphone it's touchscreen and I think most people don't get a game controller for them. It's also a small screen. The result is games are constrained by the medium we use to interact with them.

More than anything, I find the experience of playing a game on my iphone much less comfortable.
    a) i have to hold it up
    b) the screen seems smaller--so much so I tried those magnifier glasses, and it didn't help much even at 3x
    c) i hate how my fingers use large areas of screenspace when interacting--although this wouldn't be a problem if i used a game controller
    d) touchscreens frequently give me pain... like buttons too small or not pressing it right since I can't FEEL the button
    e) it takes much longer to enter a sentence or paragraph... like in an mmo--and when i use the speech to text it's slower than just typing it on my pc keyboard

However, iphone game sare portable and you can take them wherever you go--like work. That to me is the biggest benefit. But when it comes to the outright power of immersion and depth and comfort, nothing beats my pc--and I mean nothing. It's like a universe in a box.

Right now I infrequently play Astronest on the iphone. I slowly raise up the ranks like a snail. On my pc I'm playing Wurm Online and toying with Steam games.

Rathger than trying to make a pc into a mobile or a mobile into a pc, I think it's better just to use them for what they're good at.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wyatt_Derp Learned

Wyatt_Derp
    Wait until AugCog/NeuralLink shows up. Remember that Star Trek TNG episode 'The Game'? Yeah, that'll be it. Nothing like watching millions of ppl staring blankly at a wall as they toss around colored balls with their minds.

If you're a cynical but opportunist type, now might be the time to look into neural link IPOs. The money will flow like wine.

^ Top  
  15. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    tbh tetris is better than most games

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. BING XI LAO Erudite

BING XI LAO
    KYS!

^ Top  
  17. Catacombs Arbiter Patron

Catacombs
    WordFeud and Chess are all I need.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    I was somewhat engaged in reading until they mentioned Scrabble and Monopoly.

If you're going to include board games might as well have football, tic-tac-toe, and pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey thrown in for good measure.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)