Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UT or UT2K4 ?

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Which one is better for single player against the AI ( bots ) ?
Which one has better mods , addons ?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I'd say UT is the better of the two, both in terms of maps and mods. UT2k4 is still really fun, and I liked the new modes well enough, but it didn't have quite the same charm as UT, to me.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deathmatch, TDM and Capture the Flag are much better in UT
UT2004 has pretty good "warfare" (or whatever it was called) mode with vehicles, which was great, but mostly in multiplayer.

Hence I'd recommend the original UT in your case.

visions

Arcane
The bots in UT2K4 seem harder to me than the bots on the same difficulty in UT. Then again, I've played UT a lot more so maybe it comes down to familiarity with the game. I'm mediocre in FPS so in UT I used to play with bots on Adept difficulty, in UT2K4 I had difficulty with keeping up with the bots on Adept. In single player I usually played free for all death matches with around 10 or so bots, 1 on 1 it's easier cause bots are predictable but with around 10 of them running around, it was sufficiently chaotic to have fun.

Haven't played either game in a while though.

SniperHF

Arcane
Personally I'd just play one then the other. I generally find 2k4 more fun to fire up every once in a while for a bot match. I like the actual "campaign" of UT better though, it's good for ramping up difficulty over time.

Don't sleep on 3. I think it has the best gameplay in the series, blending aspects of the prior two games. It does of course have trash art design and a really stupid campaign they tried to shoehorn a dumb story into.

Never really messed with mods outside of maps.

The bots in UT2K4 seem harder to me than the bots on the same difficulty in UT.

Bots are definitely tougher in 2k4.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
UT had better mods&maps but you gonna have a little harder time finding them, fortunately there is some site that collect old UT stuff from getting lost in time and space.
I just wish Thievery had single player mode...
UT2k4 still have nice mods (like Ballistic Weapons) but it's not same level. It's just steady regress and decline in gaming and modding community from there...

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
UT2004 has pretty good "warfare" (or whatever it was called) mode with vehicles, which was great, but mostly in multiplayer.
I think you mean ONSLAUGHT. Fuck yeah Onslaught! No game since has done the whole "open map with vehicles and control points" thing anywhere near as well.

DraQ

Arcane
UT is generally better, especially in terms of available content. With Oldskool mod it also supports U1 SP (unless targetted specifically at newest U1 patches) and there are quite a few SP campaigns that are UT exclusive, so if in doubt go with UT unless you're in for vehicles (then 2k4 or newer is a no-brainer).

Last edited:

thesoup

Arcane
UT2k4. Superior movement, graphics, aesthetics, maps, absolutely dwarfs not only UT99 but also every other arena fps in terms of raw content, either in maps or gamemods. It's also a lot more balanced in terms of competitive play. UT99 has only better music.

You truly need to be orders of magnitude retarded to say UT99 is better.

UT2004 also had vCTF, capture the flag with vehicles. I had a ton of fun with that mode in multiplayer, and onslaught was pretty damn good as well.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
A huge tragedy for UT is that FileFront died. So many maps were on there :(
Anyone know another place to get maps that are still available?

Perkel

Arcane
UT because it is all around tight experience with by far best gunplay from whole series.
It has also single player campaign with AI which is actually pretty fun. There is no weak side here. Even now it is fantastic shooter by all measure outside of graphics which still look nice due to artstyle.

2k4 doesn't know what it wants to be either loose open warfare or tight shooter.
Gunplay, sounds and general design is worse in it.

Don't even bother with UT3 which looks like someone took crap and painted whole world with it.

PorkBarrellGuy

Which one is better for single player against the AI ( bots ) ?
Which one has better mods , addons ?

Personal preference is 2k4 but it's hard to go wrong with either (I tend to notice a distinct pref for UT99 in general, not entirely clear on why though). I loved the Jailbreak mode add-on for 2k4. Also, Onslaught mode is amazing in 2k4. Bots are generally pretty competent in 2k4, don't quite remember what they were like in earlier installments but I don't remember ever going "lol stupid bots". Bots are shockingly competent (no pun intended) at setting up shock rifle combos, to the point I would say it's actually one of the most dangerous weapons a bot can get its hands on.

(Another two things that make the shock rifle crazy good are the fact that it's hitscan and the beam mode causes a push effect like a small explosion. You can actually make unwary and/or airborne players fall to their deaths by nudging them with beam shots. A lot of the other weapons are good at killing, but the Shock Rifle both kills and allows you to exert control over player movement in ways the others don't.)

Last edited by a moderator:

thesoup

Arcane
UT2k4. Superior (...) aesthetics
Get the fuck out of here.
absolutely dwarfs not only UT99 but also every other arena fps in terms of raw content, either in maps or gamemods.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah you'll tell me ut99 has more variety in maps and gammodes. Even actual competitive ut99 players will admit the sheer unmatched volume of 2k4 content.

It's very easy to tell you and every other ut99 praising moron in this thread know literally nothing about arena shooters or what makes one good. I can very easily tell you spent no significant time playing either online competitively and that ut99 was babby's first arena shooter. And offline at that with a few local LANs and maybe playing vs classmates during IT class.

Also, aesthetics might be personal taste, but I can't for the life of me understand how can anyone think that a game with only blue and grey color and shit character visibility can possibly compete with a colorful and visually clear game.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
off topic

Downloaded the ut99 addons ISO today .

sample

Japanase-Maps.png

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
UT2k4 is way better than UT99. Only thing 99 has going for it is music.

Bricker

Educated
Hmm, both have good features different traits. UT99 has for example cooler weapons IMHO, and has been around longer. That can be a disadvantage, since most of the people who play it right now are very good. UT2K4 has the dodging moves, the adrenaline which allows you to get special perks like invisibility, beserk, and such. It also has vehicles and different gametype modes like OnSlaught, and Vehicle CTF. Problem is that nowadays most of the servers play a mod called Sniper Camper. It's difficult to find vanilla UT2K4 servers that arent the demo server with only 1 map in rotation. But when you do find them, it's pretty awesome. It really depends on what you want to do in-game.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Ended up spending the weekend playing user maps in UT99 I had backed up from back in the day + some new ones from that ut99.org site. It was great :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom