Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Vagrus: The Riven Realms - post-apocalyptic fantasy strategy RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by TZ3K, Sep 18, 2018.

1. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Yo Sztaszov Can we change the avatar of characters? Like, if we have custom portraits, can we replace the official ones?

^ Top  
  2. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Hi Rahdulan, If you get to trying out the current alpha build, feel free to share your thoughts about it.

Hey laclongquan, Modding is not yet available and the game is very far from being finished, so not really on the team's mind at this point, but I could image it becoming available eventually, like for similar games. Will see.

^ Top  
  3. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    [Source: Steam Devlog #14 | Twitter feed]

Devlog #14 ⚔️☠️ Companion Combat Guide - Part 2: Companion Actions ☠️⚔️

In the previous part of our Companion Combat Guide (Part 1: The Basics) we left off at discussing the Leader's role in combat after outlining the basic rules of an engagement. In this part, we'll cover the actions that Companions can take during their turn.

Movement

All characters can Move to any adjacent position on their side of the battlefield. If they move into a position that is occupied by another character, that character is pushed out of the position it occupies and has to be moved into an adjacent free position (even to the position the moving character has just left).

[​IMG]

Melee Skills, of course, can only be used from the front row. Additionally, not only do characters in the front row prevent melee attacks against characters directly behind them but also make them more difficult to hit with certain Ranged Skills (those that have the Line of Sight property), so moving and positioning is paramount in Companion combat. By extension, Combat Skills that move enemies can be extremely useful to get to pesky support or damage-dealing enemies in the back line or to prevent melee-heavy enemies from using Skills.

Targeting Basics

Skills vary vastly in what or who you can target with them. Some skills target an enemy (or several enemies even) while others your own Companion or Companions. There are also certain Skills that target empty positions and leave some kind of delayed effect on it (for example, a hail of arrows to strike anyone entering the position). Finally, some Skills only target the user, typically self-buffs.

Melee Skills can only be used from the front row. They can only target front row enemies that are adjacent to the attacker’s position or back row enemies if no front row enemy stands in the way.

Ranged Skills can target anyone on the given side of the battlefield. A subset of Ranged Skills have the Line of Sight property - these receive a flat penalty to Accuracy when targeting an opponent behind another enemy or an obstacle (thus gaining Cover).

Multi-target Skills

Some Combat Skills target multiple enemies in a set configuration from one of these:
    • Two Adjacent enemies in a row (for example, Sedarias' Cleave hits two melee enemies next to each other in the same row).
    [​IMG]
    • Both enemies in a Line which means a front row enemy and the one in the back row behind it.
    • All enemies in an entire row (for example, Garrik's gas bomb affects all targets in a single row).
    [​IMG]
    • Up to four enemies in a square pattern (for example, Finndurarth Lightning Strike targets a 4-position square and hits everyone inside that).
    • The whole enemy side. These skills are rare and extremely powerful (for example, the Jhakra Alpha's Roar potentially Stuns the entire enemy side).
    Skill and Movement Combined

A lot of Companions and enemies have Skills that include some kind of Movement in the effects. The case is either that a Move precedes the Skill's effect or that a Move follows it. Javek's Receding Swing allows him to attack someone in Melee and then Move, which is ideal to bring the relatively squishy sorcerer to safety in the back line.

[​IMG]

Morwen's Strafe is another great example: she hits two adjacent enemies in Melee, then receives a Move to the side. This way she can often deal damage while repositioning herself either to protect someone in the back or to distance herself from dangerous enemies.

[​IMG]

Beside Move and using Skills, Companions also have the option to forfeit their turn. This is not only useful when they have nothing to do but outright compulsory when they can not act (for example, because none of their Skills have viable targets and they are prevented from Moving by an effect).

With every Companion and enemy having four Combat Skills and such an emphasis on movement and positioning, combat is deeply strategic and has a lot of synergies even in the Prologue. We hope you found this useful or interesting. In the next part we will talk about defenses and how they affect actions.

Website | Youtube | Twitter | Patreon
    Facebook | Instagram | Discord

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    [Source: Facebook | Twitter]
    Here's an interview with the team about the studio and the game if anyone is interested: Indie Game Picks.
    (It's not short so I thought I would rather not copy-paste the whole thing into here.)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Devlog #15 | Companion Combat Guide - Part 3: Defenses️☠️
    [Source: Itchio]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Devlog #16 | Companion Combat Guide - Part 4: Movement Effects ⚔️☠️
    [Source: Steam]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Devlog #17 | Delivering News (Game Design Post)
    [Source: Steam]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Hey Guys, big announcement: Vagrus is coming to Fig in April 2019
    More info about Fig's new Open Access campaign framework in this post

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. santino27 Magister

santino27
    Any reason in particular you chose Fig vs. KS?

^ Top  
  10. Werdna's Revenge Savant Patron

Werdna's Revenge
    Looks sweet, but Fig is pretty blahh. Granted I'm not really up for backing any other crowdfunded projects anymore...

^ Top  
  11. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Yep. Quite a few actually. Mostly had to do with the new framework the guys at Fig cooked up but other factors came into play as well.
    You can read more about the reasons in our post here but in short: Fig's Open Access is a mix of traditional KS & EA in which we saw benefits, and they actively support the campaign (even with marketing budget). But hey, ask us again in two months. :)

upload_2019-3-21_23-14-37.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    [Source: Steam | Twitter]
    Vagrus - The Riven Realms gets second teaser

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Actually live on Fig as of today.

I also played the alpha some time ago, but I'm way too lazy to write something substantial at the moment. Really liked how it transitioned from "oh, it's one of The Oregon Trail style kind of games with greater narrative" to gradually exposing you to more numbers and systems as you go on until you realize there's quite a lot under the hood. By the time you actually reach Avernum you're ready for another dose of information after you've experienced combat and some choices. Only thing I would complain about is there are way too many empty nodes in the world that are just there to pass days so you have to postpone payments to your crew and pay more when you reach civilization, especially because I guess chunk of the game we got in the alpha is a somewhat narrower tutorial.

At the end of the day I'm not sure what would be Vagrus' intended target audience. Kinda going for pretty specific cross-section of interests there.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Sztaszov Lost Pilgrims Developer

Sztaszov
    Great summary, thanks a lot Rahdulan!

IMPORTANT: in appreciation of all the support you guys have shown towards Vagrus in the last eight months, Lost Pilgrims Studio would like to offer a limited time -$5 discount to ALL RPGCodex members on all pledge tiers of their campaign at Fig.
    If you follow the link below you will see a -$5 coupon show up in your cart as you check out. Enjoy! Both the coupon and the game. Oh yes, it might be worth mentioning at this point that Backers get instant access to the current Open Access build via Discord (or itchio if you are a MAC/Linux user).
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/vagrus-the-riven-realms?r=AG&mp=RPGCodex

P.s.: TZ3K, Could you please update the link in the first post to this too? Thanks a lot!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

After watching the pitch I had to back it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    I like the fact that actual gameplay milestones seem to be seamless additions to the game instead of "well, we need more money so we'll add arbitrary features to justify asking for more money". I certainly hope they get $25k to include crew combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Well, I sure hope they won't pull a Snapshot and cancel Linux halfway through development and then go exclusive :lol:

^ Top  
  19. Brutan Learned Patron

Brutan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You've been nice to us, i am nice to you. I backed. This better not turn out to be all combat and just a token narration.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Damn, I missed the link for a coupon, but thanks!
    The game looks really solid, and the universe sounds cool. Unlike Brutan, I would be totally ok with mostly combat and exploration, and a token narration, as long as the game offers enough player agency!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/vagrus-the-riven-realms/updates/913

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)