Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles IV

Deflowerer

Arcane
p. degenerate

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I hope they balance the classes a bit more, scouts were just too OP. That being said, I'm looking forward to figuring out tough battles.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Mother Russia DLC :shredder:

DbJDOoRV4AALehj.jpg

Efe

Erudite
only played the first one, went into it with no expectations and it was great...
although thats partly due to the game was being somewhat hardcore until i realized i could scroll down research window and all that money had a use.

L'Montes

Educated
Moving one soldier into a perfect position and taking many actions in a row is occasionally a useful tactic in Valkyria Chronicles, but most of the time it's not viable because you want to keep your entire squad moving so that you don't get outflanked or run out of time.
Barring the odd gimmick mission, I played the entire game like that, so clearly it's viable for even a middling player like myself. Can't remember flanking being an issue and if it was, it's not like a unit being downed has any lasting impact.

How is running out of time possibly an issue? Most missions have a 20 turn limit, in a game where a scout can run from one side of the map to the other in one turn.

Being able to act multiple times with a single unit (while the enemy cannot do the same) is just way too overpowered a mechanic.

I'm not sure what they're going on about. The first game (which I liked, mind you), heavily, heavily, heavily incentivized scout abuse and utilizing a very small number of units overall. Getting the maximum rating on most of the missions seemed predicated on this, and it's one of the more valid criticisms of the balancing of the game.

Most of that is because the game prioritizes speed above all else for scoring, so if Alicia captures a couple points in a few turns and 95% of the enemy is still alive - that's a win. Regardless of whether your forces seem to have accomplished nothing in the map. There's a mod for the PC version which tweaks the balance for a lot of this to make it less "Scout Rush Chronicles, the Game". It includes things like removing the added CP from Largo, et al. so you don't feel forced to field them for the bonus, etc. It's called Gallian Crossfire, iirc.

I think the PSP platform crippled the other entries personally. The maps were so anemic and small that it harmed the gameplay.

I have just spent the evening playing the VC4 demo on PS4 and... it's just like VC1, except with one new class (the Grenadier). Oh, and it only costs one 1 CP to select the tank. And when I say just like VC1, I mean hats off to Sega for making no effort whatsoever to make any changes to its interface. They clearly think they achieved perfection ten years ago and have been having early lunches since. Everything is the same: the book-chapter cut-scene/cut-scene/mission/cut-scene layout. The tank inventory tetris. The menus for training/R&D/having a chat to learn a new order. I could go on, but it's pointless, because EVERYTHING is the same. Even our tank-driving protagonist is a nature-loving wimp again. I'd love to say the graphics are better, but they don't seem to be. I'm sure they are, though. They must be, right?

Plot-wise, the less said the better. It feels like a slightly less-good retread of VC1 so far. Like the interface, it seems to hew un-necessarily close to the original. On the basis of what I've seen so far, the main characters lack the charm that pushed me through VC1's many toe-curling moments, which I realize was already a deal-breaker for many, so good luck with what's on offer here. Things have definitely not improved in this one, although we can't really judge until we've seen them all frolicking at the beach, can we? At least there is also a new cast of non-plot-related recruits and their amusing (to me) barks to spice things up. I did not spot any cameos from other Sega properties this time around, but I honestly wouldn't notice unless Sonic or the were-wolf from Altered Beast showed up.

Not that I am complaining. Like the chump I am, I have pre-ordered. I just want more VC1, and this is giving it to me. I have to admit, I was rushing a whole lot of scouts about the map in the demo missions just like in VC1. If that annoyed you, I'm afraid I didn't see any new mechanics that make this obviously less effective. But I had a good time for a few hours nonetheless.

Anyway, the demo is quite meaty: two real plot missions after the tutorial, and after completing those two, it unlocks a demo-only bonus mission, although I didn't get round to playing that one. Also, two skirmishes. Demo save is compatible with the real game, and it unlocks a no-doubt pointless but exclusive item in the real game, if for some unfathomable reason that acts as enticement.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
That is really :mixedemotions:.
I loved the first game but the combat really needed more complexity it was really basic. Hope the final game adds something more. Well at least it still has sniper waifu.

L'Montes

Educated
absolutely detest moe art anime, and the fact that japan absolutely loves it makes me very salty.

You might be waiting awhile if you want the animation culture there to shift into a different direction. It seems like most of the relative eras of "X" style have been pretty long, and it's a pretty market-driven atmosphere there. It feels like the faces/animation might practically be stock assets for digital animators these days too, sometimes, they're so samey.

Someone somewhere thought that practically flash-animation bullshit Berserk adaptation was worth releasing publicly too.

L'Montes

Educated
Should I play VC 2, 3 and 4?

I'll 2nd VC2 being kinda crap.

Opinions on Welkin and the other cast from VC1 can be a bit mixed (e.g. - beta male oblivious nature-loving cuck becomes officer because he brought his own tank to the war, lol). I thought they were basically fine, though some annoyed me.

VC2, plot and cast-wise at least, is a downgrade to a bullshit suspiciously JP-high-school setting complete with literal red-oni/blue-oni type leads (hot-headed literally retarded red-head student and cold/calculating blue-haired student), where the more stupid of the two becomes "class rep" (more or less). A hilariously stupid plot device is present whereby a civil war breaks out in the country, and "using the army isn't allowed", so they send the fucking high school cadets into combat instead.

Plot and characters aside, the maps are broken up into tiny areas that are generally dull and unsatisfying as combat arenas coming from the first game. There's some interesting changes/work done with the classes/mechanics elements within the game itself, but actually using them (the gameplay) has suffered too much for it to be enjoyable imho.

VC3 wasn't translated (or wasn't back when I was still playing my PSP), so I can't really comment on it.

L'Montes

Educated
beta male oblivious nature-loving cuck becomes officer because he brought his own tank to the war, lol
His father was general and war hero.

You'll note that I was describing the "sort" of thing people sometimes say about him, while saying I liked the cast fine.

That aside, the argument that he has a heroic bloodline would also be a shitty one as far as giving people command. Like if people let me operate on them because I said my father was a doctor - or something like that.

Reinhardt

Arcane
That aside, the argument that he has a heroic bloodline would also be a shitty one as far as giving people command.
Not heroic bloodline. More like general bloodline. I bet his father had some friends in military left.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
He was a reservist officer. That's why he commands the squad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom