Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs and Brian Mitsoda - coming March

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vortex, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Space Nugget Guest

Space Nugget
    So, what do I got: Hardsuit Labs, a 70-plus employees Seattle-based game studio, developers of Blacklight: Retribution (a free-to-play FPS), is working on... something. If the details found in the job openings are anything to go by, unlike Blacklight, their next game is single-player. Also, it is developed in Unreal Engine 4. They have been silent on what's next for the studio, but accordingly to this tweet (from january 17, and funnily enough the Tender ARG begun two days later), there's "more coming soon" from them... Back in january 2018, Paradox acquired 33% of the studio, and Hardsuit Labs has since been "working on an as-yet unannounced title, to be published by Paradox Interactive in the future".

(I assume most of these informations aren't news to some of you, but still.)

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Please don't let the developers of fucking Blacklight: Retribution make the new Vampire The Masquerade game. Please. Please. Please.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    10 days ago:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Blacklight/comments/aoj8x3/all_good_things_must_come_to_an_end/

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    I figured there would be text-only stuff in the form of Tender connections and probably email and texting via your in-game cell phone. This is a good thing, will make for some interesting and unique interactions in the game. Can't wait to lure some sweeties to my lair to turn them into my undead ghoul minions. :)

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Space Nugget Guest

Space Nugget
    Somewhat unrelated, but:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3364...change_even_when_youre_new_to_the_culture.php

Does that means Hardsuit Labs is handling the job (of making a RPG, regardless of its quality)?

^ Top  
  6. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Can Paradox hire Arkane studios to make VMTB sequel?
    Is there legal obstruction Paradox working with Zenimax on a game ?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Space Nugget Guest

Space Nugget
    Nope.

Nope. But we're talking about ZeniMax Media here. The company that made Fallout 76 a thing (and the manner it did). And that's forcing monetization and multiplayer on its own developers.

Probably the higher-ups reject the idea of working on other people's intelectual properties. That's not very profitable. So... there has to be serious money involved.

^ Top  
  8. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    FO76 has probably still made/will make tons of money, even with it failing the way it has

^ Top  
  9. Space Nugget Guest

Space Nugget
    That's the point. It's all about the...

:keepmymoney:

Show Spoiler
    My 76th post... how appropriate. +M

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
    • :M :M x 7
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Guys, seriously, why are you going on about the quality of a potential Vampire game? Allow me to demonstrate:

Me: Vampire!
    Fanboi: *SPLOOGE!!!*

• Participation Award x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ColonelTeacup Liturgist

ColonelTeacup
    Nothing good can come from a remake. In todays ultra progressive world not only will they butcher the combat further and simplify the dialogue and quests, but they will replace the original iconic soundratcks with bland creations and sjwify the game.
    Imagine damsel turned into a sassy black communist girl actively fighting "trumps america".

• incline x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    They didn't tease any of those though, they were just small fishes :)! Also as for text only quests in Bloodlines, I'd bet the poster quest was a late addition to not let some already build items go to waste that otherwise were unused. At least I saw it that way when I added some more ;). And about Arkane studios, no thanks! We'll get ten maps which we'll have to visit over and over with endless respawning enemies! That's not what Bloodlines was about...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    I've been reading a bit about the other WoD settings.

Wraith: The Oblivion reminds me of Planescape and Charon of The Nameless One.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jedi Exile Arcane Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I wonder why people ask for WtM game made by Arkane. It is clear it will be a fun game to play (if you like 'immersive sims'), but not an RPG.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Bloodlines is also an "immersive sim".

• Disagree x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    It doesn't follow the principles, it's too gamey and has a third person camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    oh no

if you continue down this path, darkness awaits you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Twiglard Savant

Twiglard
    "Abstracting", that's what it's called these days? To my horror, I first imagined questgivers with opaque yellow question marks offering a reward for "kill 10 Sabbat members". Abstracting, you say.

It has a bona-fide atmosphere. That can't be said about all of these cookie-cutter first-person games of today.

Though the second hub could be less corridor-ish in nature.

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mystic_Quest Educated

Mystic_Quest
    What do you mean by too gamey? What camera should it have? And what's an example for an immersive sim?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i warned you

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersive_sim

Gamey: for example, you can only pick up one kind of each weapon so you can't stockpile knives and sell them all at the store (at least not without frequent backtracking). There are also human bosses with loads of health. Emergent gameplay? What emergent gameplay? The multiple choices/paths/branches through Bloodlines are all determined by the designer. No jumping over that mere locked fence that bars your path in the first hub.

They must also be first person.

• rolleyes x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    F/TPS/stealth game, whatever.

• meh meh x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mystic_Quest Educated

Mystic_Quest
    Hadn't seen that wiki entry before - I am a religious follower of wiki definitions. So, game-y as not realistic enough and not sandbox-y enough, I see. First person doesn't seem to be an absolute requirement according to the entry, but it helps.

Wtf though:

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    X-Com would qualify as an "immersive sim." It's a nonsense term. The very concept of "immersive" is totally subjective. Someone could feel immersed in playing Mario 64. And what if someone speed runs a game and finds all sorts of ways to get through a level that were not intended by the developer, does that constitute emergent gameplay, even if the game was not built with the intention of providing large amounts of emergent gameplay?

"Immersive sim" is a nonsense term.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)