Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
What the fuck are they doing?

The Real Fanboy
img-half-half-character.jpg

Well at least with this biker lewk I'm hopeful that there is some cute Southside Serpents vampires in the game:

Zr1vgSS.jpg

Wesp5

Arcane
Celerity would have been more interesting if it increased your movement speed and jumping distance (of course, the levels would have needed to be redesigned around this increase in mobility).

Originally Troika planned an Athletics stat to do exactly this, but it was never implemented and while we could theoretically change running and jumping using console commands, we found no way to get this stat displayed on the character sheet, so we couldn't restore it...

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
C'mon dudes, most of the active disciplines in the original felt really trashy to use. Passive effects or poorly designed projectile stuff. What we've seen so far looks to be an upgrade on that tbh
Bullshit. The disciplines in Bloodlines were all vampire-themed and made me feel cool, dark, and better than human, with weird effects completely appropriate to the genre. Punching the ground as a combat technique to battle people with earthquakes is comic book silliness, on par with stretching powers or turning into a car.

254418-33438-radio-king.jpg

"I know! I'll encase him in a sphere of pure sound!"

Those are some rose-tinted glasses if I ever saw them

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually I think using Melpominee levels in a creative combination it IS possible to encase someone in a sphere of pure sound.

Anyway, joking aside, the point is real. Disciplines of original Bloodlines as mentioned before are very poorly balanced, and most of them don't really measure up. Truth is, majority of them (you know, since it's VtM) are not really even that vampire themed (Malkcoughmalk). The only one that had a genuinely distinct, powerful, and unusual effect was high-level Celerity. In terms of what would be absolutely genuinely vampire themed, it isn't exactly that long either, at most you could say it's Dominate (which as mentioned isn't even that good or interesting in its execution), Animalism (assuming you can get over the fooken magic presentation), and Potence. The disciplines were not what made Bloodlines good.

PS: Earthshock has been around for a long time, the primary change is that Potence (and other previously passive disciplines) now also have active abilities on lower levels as well. However it was part of the rather ass concept of "NPC powers", discipline levels made purely for NPCs to use (which I think is stupid both in terms of existing since it's mostly just condescending towards players, and secondly because any GM should strive to invent their own strange elder powers instead of taking some cookie cutter premade).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, joking aside, the point is real. Disciplines of original Bloodlines as mentioned before are very poorly balanced, and most of them don't really measure up. Truth is, majority of them (you know, since it's VtM) are not really even that vampire themed (Malkcoughmalk).
I won't argue about balance, but I don't accept that the flavor of the Bloodlines powers was off.

PS: Earthshock has been around for a long time
In VTM? Wow, that's news to me. I never played the PnP. I still think it's dumb.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In VTM? Wow, that's news to me. I never played the PnP. I still think it's dumb.
It's a 6+ tier ability originally (seven dots to be specific, so all the way NPCs only bs, like ZA WARUDO and almost every Vicissitude card in Eternal Snuggle), debuted in Guide to the Camarilla IIRC. V5 adds it as the other five dot for Potence (as mentioned, Potence and Fortitude now have abilities instead of only a passive effect now, and Celerity also has additional abilities instead of just a scaling active; this is a very welcome change IMO), it doesn't deal damage like the old version used to and honestly the other five dot for Potence is better since that's the Aggravated damage melee now instead of Protean claws (again, welcome change, even if even at five-dot I'll have my reservations about aggravated being available). In vidya its different because vidya is not PnP and can never be so it needs to concern itself with being vidya.

Strigoro

Barely Literate
The punches really keep coming in.
So the braindead commie agitator clan has it's ability to be more peeled way and neglected and beats out Gangrel as the default kinetic play through option.
Seriously how can misfit belligerents be more core than a clan which can cover the same niche but has a lore inspiration that actually pertains to vampire and boogie man type myth.
The upside is they passive nature of their disciplines is nerfed into activatable charges.

Not that big a deal on its own but n+1 on disappointment again.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Actually I think using Melpominee levels in a creative combination it IS possible to encase someone in a sphere of pure sound.

Anyway, joking aside, the point is real. Disciplines of original Bloodlines as mentioned before are very poorly balanced, and most of them don't really measure up. Truth is, majority of them (you know, since it's VtM) are not really even that vampire themed (Malkcoughmalk). The only one that had a genuinely distinct, powerful, and unusual effect was high-level Celerity. In terms of what would be absolutely genuinely vampire themed, it isn't exactly that long either, at most you could say it's Dominate (which as mentioned isn't even that good or interesting in its execution), Animalism (assuming you can get over the fooken magic presentation), and Potence. The disciplines were not what made Bloodlines good.

PS: Earthshock has been around for a long time, the primary change is that Potence (and other previously passive disciplines) now also have active abilities on lower levels as well. However it was part of the rather ass concept of "NPC powers", discipline levels made purely for NPCs to use (which I think is stupid both in terms of existing since it's mostly just condescending towards players, and secondly because any GM should strive to invent their own strange elder powers instead of taking some cookie cutter premade).

It's not that I like Earthshock, in fact my initial reaction was exactly like the rest of the people here "wtf, Tauren stomp in a vampire game?" and I still feel like that. It's just that in comparison with blood projectiles and 3 versions of the same crowd control effect with a slightly different particle sparkle from the original, what little we've seen of the discipline gameplay of this game seems much cooler. And aside from Earthshock which is totally weird (especially the upgrade), they look more vampire themed as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm much more worried about the potential of a super duper woke narrative, but I gotta say the concept model for that Brujah is hella awesome. Lenny from Motörhead is the gold standard for oldschool brujah

Cael

Arcane
I'm much more worried about the potential of a super duper woke narrative, but I gotta say the concept model for that Brujah is hella awesome. Lenny from Motörhead is the gold standard for oldschool brujah
You are just begging for them to make Lenny into a woke sensitive New Age cuck sjw, aren't you?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still don't get it about a thinblood joining a clan, how it is possible. And why you should retain your thinblood powers and get new clan powers. And why thinblood powers are so cool, even if you are supposed to be a 'lesser' vampire.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From a gameplay perspective the "thinblood powers" are really basic universal vampire powers that you start out with. On top of those you get the powers of your chosen clan.

Question is how it works for other vampires that you might encounter in the game.

Cael

Arcane
I still don't get it about a thinblood joining a clan, how it is possible. And why you should retain your thinblood powers and get new clan powers. And why thinblood powers are so cool, even if you are supposed to be a 'lesser' vampire.
Muh oppresshun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom