Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Sabbat will probably show up too (at least in reference), and probably make retroactively more sense for original Bloodlines (then again, Sabbat has always been super-hard to do because of how many variables have been at work if you try to do more than Shovelheads And Tzimisce style bad guy posse like in Bloodlines) since they operate more like a vampire terrorist organization in V5 when they stopped trying to hold territory and instead go underground (this of course doesn't mean former Sabbat territories aren't very much dangerous no-man's-lands because while they aren't openly holding domain anymore they are still around in the shadows) or go to the Middle-East and North Africa to fight in the Gehenna Crusade they are going to mount against the Antediluvians after they kill and diablerize every Methuselah they can find. (Also Lasombra are defecting to join the Camarilla)

:whatho:
:rage::rage::rage:

HansDampf

Arcane
First gameplay video will kill any excitement for this game
where is the "fabulously pessimistic" button

Honestly I don't understand how people can expect anything good from Brian Mitsoda - wearing those gloves makes him look like a clown and insecure as fuck.

His last game Dead State was a borefest ... but tbh he did advertise the game as inducing a dead state.

Also that studio is not ready for prime-time: I've played Blacklight (their first game) for a couple of hours and it was completely uninspired and boring. Also ridden with microtransactions.

Then you have stuff like this:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Takes a Firm Political Stance, LGBT & Mental Illness Representation

The demo that press got their hands on featured two different character creators - one that allowed them to craft a protagonist to their liking, while the second focused on the more vampiric side of things. "Body type, gender pronouns, employment history, and fashion can all be toyed with for a very modular build." In another preview, Rock Paper Shotgun states that you can pick pronouns separate from your body type.

Finally, in an interview with Kotaku, lead writer Brian Mitsoda states that the team has to adjust its perspective following the 15 years since the original. “We have to be very sensitive about how we handle things like mental illness and that was a concern for us and for Paradox, in how we can make a mature story but if we do anything, we do our homework and make sure that we are punching up and not punching down.”

Look like the planets aligned for this game: a shovelware developer, a has been narrative designer, a publisher thirsty for DLCs and a story focused on SJW sensibilities.

Maybe I'm "fabulously pessimistic" (and half drunk) but at least I'm not delusional to believe that the combination above will produce anything ground breaking.

There is a reason why they delay showing any gameplay footage. But hey, maybe they pull off a Kingmaker.
I'm also losing my optimism as time passes, but just to keep things in perspective: The "firm political stance" is about "themes of art versus commerce and technological advances versus tradition." Not what people would first think of when they read those headlines. And the gender pronouns could be a marketing tool to make more people talk about the game, and to get pushed by game journalists. They probably won't affect anything in the game, and will just be part of your name on your character sheet. Like you could name your character in VtMB, and it never comes up in the game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally we'll have a vampire we can relate to
bldae19.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
'K we all know the other two clans to be revealed at this and the next week are Tremere and Ventrue. This pretty much covers the Warrior/Mage/Thief-smoothtalker trio. A better question is, what are the other two then? Gangrel and Toreador are less costly to make than both Nosferatu and Malkavian (for level designers and Brian Mitsoda himself respectively as they basically require a second game within base game to be made) but seem too redundant (and too emphasize Toris subtleties one must be the 2nd Troika no less) gameplay wise.

Prime Junta

'K we all know the other two clans to be revealed at this and the next week are Tremere and Ventrue. This pretty much covers the Warrior/Mage/Thief-smoothtalker trio. A better question is, what are the other two then? Gangrel and Toreador are less costly to make than both Nosferatu and Malkavian (for level designers and Brian Mitsoda himself respectively as they basically require a second game within base game to be made) but seem too redundant (and too emphasize Toris subtleties one must be the 2nd Troika no less) gameplay wise.

Torrie because of course they will.

Gangrel to get the furry fanbase.

Nos and Malk for paid DLC.

Zer0wing

Cipher
But there's only one clan DLC so only one of them. And not just one of these two, they'll probably try to implement something very different. Assamites for islam solidarity points is closest to match (they too have Obfuscate in V5).
Torrie because of course they will.
What's the difference between tori smoothtalker and ventrue smoothtalker? Gameplay wise is the lack of Domination in case of the former.
Gangrel to get the furry fanbase.
One dedicated Werewolf game is not enough?
:prosper:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
What's the difference between tori smoothtalker and ventrue smoothtalker? Gameplay wise is the lack of Domination in case of the former.
A lot of players would prefer playing a pretty smoothtalker over a capitalist smoothtalker. Both clans have their audience.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
What's the difference between tori smoothtalker and ventrue smoothtalker?
Toreador more persuasive while Ventrue more manipulating?
Maybe Toreador players are seen as more attractive and people open up easier to compensate for no Dominate.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Toreador more persuasive while Ventrue more manipulating?
Maybe Toreador players are seen as more attractive and people open up easier to compensate for no Dominate.
Too much writing hassle for Hardsuit lab presumably.
A lot of players would prefer playing a pretty smoothtalker over a capitalist smoothtalker. Both clans have their audience.
img-clans-6.jpg
suggests only a capitalist smoothtalker tho.

Herumor

Scholar
If they're going for the thief archetype, then it should be Ravnos.

Due to their inherent clan weakness, the Ravnos clan are all criminals; each Ravnos has a specific vice ranging from plagiarism to mass murder. When the opportunity to indulge that vice is present, Ravnos must succeed in a self-control check to avoid indulging it.

Should, but won't, because they're too mindful of walking on eggshells. So it'll probably translate into being stealthy, hence Nosferatu.

Except they went on record saying that all and any clans they release in the future, post-launch, will be free DLC.

But since you slapped me with the fake news post rating, here's an official source on that claim:

https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-preview/

"The one thing we can say, we will have a good amount of clans in the main game that are really interesting, but we'll support it with more clans after launch," said Christian Schlütter, lead producer at Paradox. "And one thing that you need to write down is that every clan that we release later on will be free. We will never charge you for any clan." I wrote that down.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Torries should get extra outfits and all the dress up stuff for the League of Legends brigade.

:happytrollboy:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Too much writing hassle for Hardsuit lab presumably.
There is only 5 to start, i'll dare to expect a bit more complexity from the clans.
Brujah's Potence description says they can break down walls (only specific ones I'm guessing), though that could just be flavor text.

suggests only a capitalist smoothtalker tho.
The image below is what everyone believes suggested Toreador.
I don't know why, it's as unremarkable as the hallway one, I guess it fits them more than any of the other original seven.
img-clans-4.jpg

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
It looks like the Chantry from Bloodlines 1. If it weren't for the other very obviously Tremere image, I'd assume this one was Tremere.

I'm hoping at least one of the revealed clans will fall outside of the standard 'Camarilla seven'. Like Lasombra maybe.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I'm hoping at least one of the revealed clans will fall outside of the standard 'Camarilla seven'. Like Lasombra maybe.
Playable Lasombra would be great but it would be a tidal wave of asspain for Hardsuit if both Nosferatu and Malkavian didn't make launch for some clan that wasn't even in the first game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If they're going for the thief archetype, then it should be Ravnos.

Due to their inherent clan weakness, the Ravnos clan are all criminals; each Ravnos has a specific vice ranging from plagiarism to mass murder. When the opportunity to indulge that vice is present, Ravnos must succeed in a self-control check to avoid indulging it.

Should, but won't, because they're too mindful of walking on eggshells. So it'll probably translate into being stealthy, hence Nosferatu.

Except they went on record saying that all and any clans they release in the future, post-launch, will be free DLC.

But since you slapped me with the fake news post rating, here's an official source on that claim:

https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-preview/

"The one thing we can say, we will have a good amount of clans in the main game that are really interesting, but we'll support it with more clans after launch," said Christian Schlütter, lead producer at Paradox. "And one thing that you need to write down is that every clan that we release later on will be free. We will never charge you for any clan." I wrote that down.
Are they also free if there are also no post release Clan DLCs?

Zer0wing

Cipher
There is only 5 to start, i'll dare to expect a bit more complexity from the clans.
Brujah's Potence description says they can break down walls (only specific ones I'm guessing), though that could just be flavor text.
But they've cut social discipline Presence from Brujah and made them warrior only class, so it's hard to believe Hardsuit Lab is aiming for clan complexity. Both dialogue and gameplay wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom