Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Who is going to give me a footjob then??? Also there is a lot worst scum on the codex that deserve a ban like safo.

www.realincelopinions.com
So you are an incel then,oh well,i like challenge. Tho i will not be very gentle on your first time,hope you scratch the bush on some domination.

Looks like a stereotypical Vampire: The Masquerade player tbh
Have no idea how they look,never seen one in my life. Do people actually roleplay this game?
are you retarded, is that your gimmick
I mean... he's one of the sole owners of the legendary double dumbfuck tag, so.. yes?

His gimmick is still way more entertaining than Sailor or Safav's though.
Oh come on, my gimmick is being glorious and edgy Bulgar,retarded i my alter-ego. By the day i am paragon of humankind,while during the night i become the hero the codex deserves.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do Toreador have a high speed ability though? Obsessive artists and aestheticians being super fast doesn't sound that intuitive to me. Can someone explain this setting-/lore-/rp-wise to a non-expert?
I'm not a lore expert, but this doesn't break anything for me. They're still superhuman monsters so they have to have something, and it's not going to be paintbrush powers. It makes sense to me that artists aren't gorilla take-it-on-the-chin types, that they'd develop super speed instead as a way to avoid hunters, catch prey etc.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Why do Toreador have a high speed ability though? Obsessive artists and aestheticians being super fast doesn't sound that intuitive to me. Can someone explain this setting-/lore-/rp-wise to a non-expert?
No idea why, but they've always had celerity (the bullet time super speed power) as far as I know. The other original celerity clan was the Brujah who are the philosopher guys. There's probably some dumb lore explanation for everything but I think ultimately it was just so the arty talky clans would be able to actually contribute if a fight broke out without being too overpowered. They can take a lot of actions in order to make up for their inability to really do too much with them.

When they added all the dumb extra orders and bloodlines like the Assamites who had super combat powers AND celerity though it got stupid and nobody wanted to play anything else

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No idea why, but they've always had celerity (the bullet time super speed power) as far as I know. The other original celerity clan was the Brujah who are the philosopher guys. There's probably some dumb lore explanation for everything but I think ultimately it was just so the arty talky clans would be able to actually contribute if a fight broke out without being too overpowered. They can take a lot of actions in order to make up for their inability to really do too much with them.

They have auspex so they're good with guns even without celerity, at least in bloodlines.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought the issue with Toreador was that they were constantly chasing after short-lived adrenaline highs and gratification. Followers of Slanesh and Dark Eldar come to mind.

Cael

Arcane
Who is going to give me a footjob then??? Also there is a lot worst scum on the codex that deserve a ban like safo.

www.realincelopinions.com
So you are an incel then,oh well,i like challenge. Tho i will not be very gentle on your first time,hope you scratch the bush on some domination.

Looks like a stereotypical Vampire: The Masquerade player tbh
Have no idea how they look,never seen one in my life. Do people actually roleplay this game?
The VtM guys practically invented the whole notion of LARPing...

:timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn:

Viata

Arcane
I had a professor who used to roleplay Vampire the Masquerade. He had a lot of pictures he showed to us(I and some friends who used to play Vampire) about this. They(he and his friends) even rented a ranch so they could roleplay as a bunch of vampires, wearing some weird clothes and thinking they are the coolest people in the world. It made me question if playing Vampire was even a good idea if I had the possibility of becoming one of them.

Delterius

Arcane
I had a professor who used to roleplay Vampire the Masquerade. He had a lot of pictures he showed to us(I and some friends who used to play Vampire) about this. They(he and his friends) even rented a ranch so they could roleplay as a bunch of vampires, wearing some weird clothes and thinking they are the coolest people in the world. It made me question if playing Vampire was even a good idea if I had the possibility of becoming one of them.
Basically, your teacher dangled membership of the Illuminati Larper's Lodge in front of you and you rejected it. All those thousands of recommendation letters and easy high paying jobs... like tears in the rain.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It made me question if playing Vampire was even a good idea if I had the possibility of becoming one of them.
Isn't this the the problem of PnP as a whole, LARPing weirdos?
The purpose of role playing games should be role playing a character. LARPing is when a bunch of silly people dress up and role play without rules (or with minimal rules for conflict resolution).

It's true that a more than trivial amount of people do the dress and ham it up thing with V:tM since it's relatively easy to do (don't need any special fantasy/sci-fi clothing and such) and the system was intentionally made light enough so as to not get in the way of the role playing (hence why it's called storyteller/storytelling). When it comes to more grognardy systems like D&D, weirdos like Critical Role are more of an exception (anecdotally I've seen people new to role playing express both frustration and elation that the groups they join aren't like that at all).

Zer0wing

Cipher
It's true that a more than trivial amount of people do the dress and ham it up thing with V:tM since it's relatively easy to do (don't need any special fantasy/sci-fi clothing and such) and the system was intentionally made light enough so as to not get in the way of the role playing (hence why it's called storyteller/storytelling). When it comes to more grognardy systems like D&D, weirdos like Critical Role are more of an exception (anecdotally I've seen people new to role playing express both frustration and elation that the groups they join aren't like that at all).
Yeah no, shrugging the issue off because some systems are less prone to have weirdos is inclooosive politics in a bad way, it still opens up an opportunity for furfag-tier mental illness to plague PnP RPGs even for fantasy settings, especially now with present day cosplay dressing "culture". Complex ruleset is not a gatekeeper, complex ruleset of Cyberpunk 2020 doesn't prevent fucktards from dressing as fucktards on PnP sessions either. We're one step from "M.Lifshitz on Why am I not a PnP player" kind of editorial/manifesto.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There's a loose connection between Clan Disciplines and the Second Generation ancestry of a given Clan. This doesn't work out quite exactly however. In case of Celerity this is further complicated by the wibbly-wobbly status of Temporis in what's official and not, since someone at White Wolf didn't like ZA WARUDO and the entire True Brujah was retconned. Then again, not like a PC was ever going to get the chance to use ZA WARUDO, since it was another example of White Wolf's prolific "fuck you players this is for our precious GMPCs only!" problem.

If you want the real explanation, it's because Toreadors are the Anne Rice vampires, and those twinks codified the whole super-fast vampire thing.

They have auspex so they're good with guns even without celerity, at least in bloodlines.
Auspex doesn't provide any direct benefit for guns in PnP (unless one counts negation of things like very low lighting as the benefit), until V5 where as I mentioned there's an amalgam ability for Celerity and Auspex (Celerity 4/Auspex 2, so it's far more in the former). EDIT: Although I suppose before V5 changes to damage and health systems you could also use Auspex 2 to be able to know when you might as well throw the gun away since you aren't shooting at a puny human. I suppose it's a improvement to guns since it lets you know when not to waste bullets shooting at vampires?

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Those who concerned about thinned and generalized discipline pool, it's not just VTMB2s thing. The whole VtM V5 is like that. Tremere's thaumaturgy is thinned to blood sorcery, which is free for the taken now. We wuz kangz Setites lost serpentis, assamites lost quietus, lasombra lost obtenebration.
And yet, devs wave off the V5.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
The streamlining is actually a good thing, especially for the Tremere. Some of the magic schools were super popular like Movement of the Mind and Path of Flames while others just sort of languished with no players wanting them. Cutting the fat is certainly welcome, though it can be argued that it went a bit too far.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
New screenshot leaked:
r0cKO0S.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The streamlining is actually a good thing, especially for the Tremere. Some of the magic schools were super popular like Movement of the Mind and Path of Flames while others just sort of languished with no players wanting them. Cutting the fat is certainly welcome, though it can be argued that it went a bit too far.
Also emphasises the often forgotten bit that IN THEORY it should always be Path of Blood that gets taught first, which is what Blood Sorcery starts at. But honestly, the question isn't really in streamlining or trimming down disciplines. It's in the focus being somewhere very different than rulesets. The V5 development was headed by former big-time LARPers, and it shows in the splat focus shifting dramatically to wordswordswords.

The core book is bretty gud (LARPer photos and lack of comics stylized art aside) and has a lot of great new or replaced systems, but the splats are clearly much more (much much more) let's say "content poor" than ye olde splats that White Wolf released as a flood, there's very little rules ( and instead lots and lots of wordswordswords. I'd say this is rather questionable given that I feel you need at least a 60/40 split between rules and wordswordswords for the price of admission, I'm not that interested in devs just jerking it to their setting. The V5 splat split between rules and wordswordswords is somewhere around 1/99, and I am not very happy about that. Thankfully it's fairly easy to just dive back and ransack the old catalogue due to how simple the Storyteller systems are; not like I'd use any ruleset as written anyway when I run a game.

That's probs again the takeaway I'd give to people: You are under no obligation to follow any ruleset or "canon" slavishly. Anything you don't like, change it.

EDIT: I have no tears for loss of Quietus tho, it was probably the dumbest discipline with Thanatosis as the runner-up.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom