Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Razor

Arcane
Oh ffs. This -insert your favourite club music- theme is the Cyberpunk 2077 pre-rendered cinematic trailer autism all over again. I remember some spectrum candidates still posting about that garbage like one month after it started.

Also you are all wrong: they might as well use up some of the old tracks that were left severely under/unused from BL 1. Like The Asp Hole from Vtmb ost.

In Bloodlines 1 at least, when your weapons ran out of ammo, the only thing they were good for was selling them to vendors. This is because you would only ever find weapons out in the field, not just ammo, and those weapons would only add ammo if you already had them in your inventory.

So maybe Bloodlines 2 has a similar loot system, and the devs added this as a form of economy balancing.

In Bloodlines 1 enemies dropped weapons, sure, but you could still find just ammo in containers. Plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy just ammo than a whole fucking gun and ammo because you threw it away earlier in fit of pique after running out of bullets.

I think the "reasoning" that went behind this design was just: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the pc would just throw the gun away when it's empty, like in the movies, plus it would show how much of a badass vampire they are?!"

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The "ammo" in those containers was actually a weapon. If you went to one WITHOUT the weapon, there was one. This was one way to get some pocket change since you had less inventory space for firearms than there were guns in the game and only four guns in the game were actually useful.

1) Guns are worth of money on black market and not all vampires can afford to throw away free money.
2) Not all vampires powerful enough to kill shitload people by pointing finger at them
3) Guns can save vampiric ass in places where their powers refuse to work for some reason.
4) Not all vampires are stupid enough to risking their masquerade for sake of looking badass. Guns are less suspicious solution than magic and they can be buffed.
5) You need to keep your gun with you, just as any other sane person after killing someone because you risking being tracked by police and breaking masqurade.
1) A vampire RPG about paying the rent and doing your laundry is fucking stupid. Show me one vampire in fiction who complains about paying his electric bill. I'll wait.
2) Missing the point. Vampires are goddamn monsters and they do have plenty of killing power. Show me one vampire in fiction who is scared of some dude with a baseball bat. I'll wait.
3) This is kind of like saying you should carry polar bear repellent wherever you go in case you are attacked by a polar bear.
4) Yeah, carrying a shotgun around wherever you go is a great way to deflect attention. "He's not a vampire, just a mass murderer, nothing to see here."
5) Right, so if you don't want the cops to find you, be sure you have your assault rifle. Real good way to not get spotted.
Similarly an important thing to point out (again) is that even if you have ID on you it's almost certainly fake ID, you probably don't want to carry all those unlicensed guns around everywhere you go.

(Also really, if you want to avoid attention you probably shouldn't have a friggin tactical vest for your hundreds of bullets)

Vibalist

Arcane
1) A vampire RPG about paying the rent and doing your laundry is fucking stupid. Show me one vampire in fiction who complains about paying his electric bill. I'll wait.
2) Missing the point. Vampires are goddamn monsters and they do have plenty of killing power. Show me one vampire in fiction who is scared of some dude with a baseball bat. I'll wait.
3) This is kind of like saying you should carry polar bear repellent wherever you go in case you are attacked by a polar bear.
4) Yeah, carrying a shotgun around wherever you go is a great way to deflect attention. "He's not a vampire, just a mass murderer, nothing to see here."
5) Right, so if you don't want the cops to find you, be sure you have your assault rifle. Real good way to not get spotted.

1. Oh c'mon, no one is advocating that. But to have a money system where money actually matters and where you have to consider what you spend it on is not a bad thing (and totally fitting in a setting like The Masquerade, where many neonates are broke, down-on-their-luck dupes who don't receive help from anyone). A lack of cash flow, resources and means can add a tremendous amount of tension to a story.

2. Uhh, vampires in The Masquerade setting? Not the ancient ones, mind you. But the neonates can easily get their ass beat by a guy with a baseball bat if they aren't prepared. And in this game, you're a thin blood.

3. No, it's kind of like saying that you have ten blood points that run out deceptively fast, can easily find yourself in a situation without a feeding target in sight, and therefore must rely on other means - such as guns, melee weapons, fists, stealth, hacking skills, lockpicking and an assortment of other non-vampiric skills - to survive.

4. Maybe you shouldn't be running around with a barely concealable shotgun under your suspicious looking trench coat. But a small firearm tucked in your pants? Why the hell not?

5. ...But then again, this is a video game, so surely we can accept the idea that the PC is able to carry around an assault rifle without becoming the target of a major crimes investigation? Like you said, this is heightened reality, not a story about banal shit like paying your electric bill.

Cross

Arcane
The "ammo" in those containers was actually a weapon. If you went to one WITHOUT the weapon, there was one. This was one way to get some pocket change since you had less inventory space for firearms than there were guns in the game and only four guns in the game were actually useful.

1) Guns are worth of money on black market and not all vampires can afford to throw away free money.
2) Not all vampires powerful enough to kill shitload people by pointing finger at them
3) Guns can save vampiric ass in places where their powers refuse to work for some reason.
4) Not all vampires are stupid enough to risking their masquerade for sake of looking badass. Guns are less suspicious solution than magic and they can be buffed.
5) You need to keep your gun with you, just as any other sane person after killing someone because you risking being tracked by police and breaking masqurade.
Similarly an important thing to point out (again) is that even if you have ID on you it's almost certainly fake ID, you probably don't want to carry all those unlicensed guns around everywhere you go.

(Also really, if you want to avoid attention you probably shouldn't have a friggin tactical vest for your hundreds of bullets)
So your argument went from 'vampires have no reason to carry guns because they are already so powerful that they have nothing to fear from fellow Kindred, much less humans' to 'vampires have no reason to carry guns because they are terrified those puny humans might notice them carrying guns'?

How are those mental gymnastics working out for you?

Vaarna_Aarne

ten blood points
Only suckas have ten blood points in Revised or V20, and your bread and butter combat abilities are either freebies or last the entire scene anyway.

So your argument went from 'vampires have no reason to carry guns because they are already so powerful that they have nothing to fear from fellow Kindred, much less humans' to 'vampires have no reason to carry guns because they are terrified those puny humans might notice them carrying guns'?

How are those mental gymnastics working out for you?
It's both. An average human is simply no threat and there is no reason to have a gun (and a vampire that actually fights all the time is *never* going to be threatened by an average human no matter what kind of gun they have, and would always be downgrading massive if they were to use a gun that isn't Theo Bell's magical shotgun), but at the same time you don't want to have any sort of police attention particularly in V5 timeline when there's a global coalition of spooks and vampire hunters that are actively looking for such odd reports to follow up on and if they do come they *will* fire Hellfire missiles at you from drones and send in black ops. That's why you don't need a gun and don't even want one.

So, stuff you could carry in Seattle? Worthless. Predator drones and white phosphorus? Bad news.

Vibalist

Arcane
Only suckas have ten blood points in Revised or V20, and your bread and butter combat abilities are either freebies or last the entire scene anyway.

The point still stands, though. You're not supposed to be that powerful as a young vampire, so you're gonna need to have other skills/items that aren't your vampiric powers.

This is not even Night Club Music...Maybe a lounge or a semi bar with a dance floor, but a full fledged night club (Ex BCM. Pasha, Space etc) will never play this obscure shit, unless its an indie club that caters to very specific tastes. Proof that the devs have not a single clue what they are doing.

You say as RPG developers who never been to dance club was a bad thing. For me it's sign of their competence.

The Real Fanboy
What songs would you guys propose?

During your live,have you even stepped in to a club??? You do know that it is place for fast and lively music,so young people could dance their alcohol away and buy even more alcohol,right? Nobody is going to a club to listen to some melodramatic nigger garbage that teen girls listen while dreaming about sparkly vampires ripping apart their assholes.

Are you never not insecure and triggered?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What songs would you guys propose?

During your live,have you even stepped in to a club??? You do know that it is place for fast and lively music,so young people could dance their alcohol away and buy even more alcohol,right? Nobody is going to a club to listen to some melodramatic nigger garbage that teen girls listen while dreaming about sparkly vampires ripping apart their assholes.

LoL,i see that your phychology level is pretty low as well,you should visit more pubs to get better at reading people. If you think that every edgy banter post is triggering,well you should find yourself new friends sis,it is clear that something is not right in your social interactions.

PS: Post feet pics!!!

Vulpes

Scholar
I sometimes get the impression that modern game devs never go outside. It's as if they genuinely don't know anything about night life.
Let's be real here, most nightclubs these days also have shitty music. It's just that they play crappy remixes of Despacito or whatever else is currently popular

Do you not see the irony in calling someone insecure and triggered when you're triggered by them pointing our your shit taste in music? You really need to work on your shit-talking skills

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Woe's underage, of course she's never been in a club. They wouldn't let her in.
But she is also a Balkan scum like me,thus she should have been hitting the clubs once she hit 13. How else she would get fucked by a random dude while making her boyfriend wait for the right moment to try sex????

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
In Bloodlines 1 at least, when your weapons ran out of ammo, the only thing they were good for was selling them to vendors. This is because you would only ever find weapons out in the field, not just ammo, and those weapons would only add ammo if you already had them in your inventory.

So maybe Bloodlines 2 has a similar loot system, and the devs added this as a form of economy balancing.
In bloodlines 1 you needed to sell empty weapon to vendor because you couldn't keep copy of found weapon, you just kept its ammo. Thus you sold the weapon to vendor, then returned to site grabbed weapon, and if there was identical on site, you ran back to vendor and sold it, returned to site to grab that weapon...

You know, all this mess would be evaded when they would allow you to keep multiple copies of weapons and sell them directly.

Vulpes

Scholar
Do you not see the irony in calling someone insecure and triggered when you're triggered by them pointing our your shit taste in music? You really need to work on your shit-talking skills

No you
Thanks for proving my point, babe. Feel free to hit me up whenever you want some help with that

Woe's underage, of course she's never been in a club. They wouldn't let her in.
But she is also a Balkan scum like me,thus she should have been hitting the clubs once she hit 13. How else she would get fucked by a random dude while making her boyfriend wait for the right moment to try sex????
As a fellow Balkanigger, I can confirm this. Over here, you're considered a loser if you don't lose your virginity before hitting 15

In bloodlines 1 you needed to sell empty weapon to vendor because you couldn't keep copy of found weapon, you just kept its ammo. Thus you sold the weapon to vendor, then returned to site grabbed weapon, and if there was identical on site, you ran back to vendor and sold it, returned to site to grab that weapon
There was also this glitch where if you sold a gun to a vendor that didn't already have it, not only could you buy the gun back, but you could also buy infinite amounts of ammo for it

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There was also this glitch where if you sold a gun to a vendor that didn't already have it, not only could you buy the gun back, but you could also buy infinite amounts of ammo for it
Not a bug, it works as designed, otherwise you'd end with a gun without ammo.

(Vendor simply used the gun as a proof he has legal need for ammo for this gun, he's not buying that ammo for making an improvised explosive.)

I actually like this feature, but they should tell you stuff like this.

Wesp5

Arcane

It might look like that in the game, but fact is that Troika never designed seperate ammo in the first place: a weapon automatically turns into ammo if you already have it, it's actually the same text file. I really hope that they improve on that in B2 and you get real inventory items for ammo too!

Vulpes

Scholar

(Vendor simply used the gun as a proof he has legal need for ammo for this gun, he's not buying that ammo for making an improvised explosive.)
I think you misunderstood me, let me give you an example: Fat Larry doesn't sell Desert Eagles nor the ammo for it, but if you sold him one and bought it right back, he'd suddenly have an infinite supply of DE ammunition for sale

Weirdly and somewhat ironically appropriate imo.
There isn't a time nor place where the Bee Gees aren't appropriate

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did I miss her(him?) doxing herself? Also posting her feet pics?
Kind off,with Roguey we managed to extrapolate her possible location thanks to time zones.

I sense you've been on the receiving end of that shit?
Nah,but a few friends were. Tho i haven't been on any end of those games,i don't go for other men's women. I am sex in the first week or fuck off bitch. I have no time for childish games.

Vaarna_Aarne

Speaking of mailboxes, I hope our PC in BL2 gets a smartphone or a small bag so they can carry that laptop with them. It's honestly probably the biggest chore in BL1 to go check the computer for additional quests (definitely heightened too after how convenient Kiryu's smartphone is), especially since it's literally the only thing you end up doing in the haven maps after the first comb-through for phat lewt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom