Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course after all this I started another VtM:B game, with the last clan I didn't try so far: Tremere

Which brought into my mind what I believe is a really important feature of the first game and something that made it so awesome (apart from characters and atmosphere as Prime Junta said):
How much your selections in character building affect your gameplay. Be it from the differences that different clans bring in the table (as Nosferatu you'll have to walk through sewers, as Malkavian you get all these crazy things etc) to the skills you pick (they change your approach to different missions a lot) etc
I really really hope they'll manage to deliver something like that and that clan selection for example, wont be only a choice of favorite "powers"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The diverse experience of playing different clans is a clear and giant highlight, but I have no hopes they're gonna recreate that. Don't you think they would have mentioned it repeatedly and emphasized it a lot during the announcement if that were the case? They did mention the game changes based on the clan you choose, but they said it with enough ambiguity I'm skeptical we're gonna get something like the variety of Nosferatu's different gameplay, Malk's different dialogue, Tremere's unique player hub and so on. At least I'm hoping they will diversify the disciplines.

I was kind of surprised they mentioned the fifth edition rules during the announcement, I figured there would be no chance you would have stuff like a character sheet and P&P mechanics.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The diverse experience of playing different clans is a clear and giant highlight, but I have no hopes they're gonna recreate that. Don't you think they would have mentioned it repeatedly and emphasized it a lot during the announcement if that were the case? They did mention the game changes based on the clan you choose, but they said it with enough ambiguity I'm skeptical we're gonna get something like the variety of Nosferatu's different gameplay, Malk's different dialogue, Tremere's unique player hub and so on.
It's almost guaranteed they'll shit up the Malks because they're an "offensive" portrayal of the mentally ill and the Nosferatu because it's "offensive" to call another person ugly. Being that they are filthy communists I dread what they'll do with the Venture too.

I'm also confused regarding the convoluted way they plan to implement character creation and Clan choice. Why does the protagonist have to start out as a human, then a thinblood and only after that become a fully fledged vampire? How do they plan to make the protagonist get away with diablerie? That's the vampire equivalent of cannibalism, and they don't react to any better than humans would to having a cannibal among them - difference being that vampires can tell at a glance you've sucked out someone's soul.

It all seems so pointlessly over-complicated.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thin-bloods have the capability to learn (more like mimic) all the disciplines, so there's no need to diablerize anyone, they can learn them by "joining" a clan. That's not how it works in PnP, but that's how it's going to work in this game. Like I said before, it's less work to model the different clans and that's why they went this route, no more unique models and clothes for the different clans.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, basically, this shitshow isn't even going to try to translate the PnP mechanics to video game format? Clans are one of the most iconic aspects of VtM and the most defining trait of any vampire characters. To water down such a crucial aspect because they're too lazy/incompetent to implement it properly does not bode well for the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I really really hope they'll manage to deliver something like that and that clan selection for example, wont be only a choice of favorite "powers"
Becoming a nosferatu doesn't even make sense narratively. Why would anyone willingly want to become a freak who has to navigate sewers to get around when they have the option to become a vampire who doesn't have to be that way? This conveniently also saves them a lot of work (no special dialogues, no special scripting that resulted in Nosferatus being dead-ended in unpatched Bloodlines because no one had ever fully tested it in QA)

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, basically, this shitshow isn't even going to try to translate the PnP mechanics to video game format? Clans are one of the most iconic aspects of VtM and the most defining trait of any vampire characters. To water down such a crucial aspect because they're too lazy/incompetent to implement it properly does not bode well for the game.

Maybe it will, depending on how it works. The special thin-blood discipline allows them to "recreate" or mimic other disciplines through formulae, so maybe they'll be able to create the formulae when they join the clan. That's PnP-friendly. But yeah, no clan for the protagonist, unless they actually do diablerize someone and become a lower generation. Even then, I doubt our appearance will change depending on clan.

jewboy

Arbiter
I just watched a VTMB youtube dance video featuring Chiasm: Isolated and some very very good CG dancing. If only real humans could dance that well. Only Africans and some Latin Americans can even come close. Always wondered how they implemented that. I hope not cheating with motion capture. It actually made me want to dance even though I was never the type. It was sort of mesmerizing to just watch the dancing for a while.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Thin-bloods have the capability to learn all the disciplines, so there's no need to diablerize anyone, they can learn them by "joining" a clan. That's not how it works in PnP, but that's how it's going to work in this game.
d70gkQY.png

Like I said before, it's less work to model the different clans and that's why they went this route, no more unique models and clothes for the different clans.
it's 2019, why would there need to be unique models? don't we have the ability to shape out own custom characters even in a lot of cellphone games? Haven't interchangeable clothes been a thing in games since Oblivion?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Since we know we can equip stuff (like that Tender shirt), it might be possible we'll get unique clothes when we join the clans. That'd be cool.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Since we know we can equip stuff (like that Tender shirt), it might be possible we'll get unique clothes when we join the clans. That'd be cool.
"I joined the Nosferatu and all I got was this shirt and ugly mask"

Truly the GOTYAY.

Prime Junta

Becoming a nosferatu doesn't even make sense narratively. Why would anyone willingly want to become a freak who has to navigate sewers to get around when they have the option to become a vampire who doesn't have to be that way?

You're asking that question... on RPG Codex?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm also confused regarding the convoluted way they plan to implement character creation and Clan choice. Why does the protagonist have to start out as a human, then a thinblood and only after that become a fully fledged vampire?

Almost certainly because they want to gradually introduce mechancis and concepts rather than overwhelm you with a character sheet from the outset.

EDIT: Depending on how long these segments last, it might not be that different from the original's tutorial.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm also confused regarding the convoluted way they plan to implement character creation and Clan choice. Why does the protagonist have to start out as a human, then a thinblood and only after that become a fully fledged vampire?

Almost certainly because they want to gradually introduce mechancis and concepts rather than overwhelm you with a character sheet from the outset.

EDIT: Depending on how long these segments last, it might not be that different from the original's tutorial.
making you start out as a thinblood is pretty weak regardless of the reason.

what's next? A GTA game that forces you to play a black guy or a russian?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

making you start out as a thinblood is pretty weak regardless of the reason.

what's next? A GTA game that forces you to play a black guy or a russian?

I get that you're joking but you're really not that different from a thin blood in the original. There's a good argument a P&P vampire with a similar introduction to unlife would be Caitiff.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Perhaps a Tremere
>wanting to literally be enslaved in a pyramid scheme for all eternity

People who like Tremere are the worst. Not only the sign of an unbalanced and powerhungry narcissist, but far worse: an indication that they enjoy the blatant, hamfisted parts of the setting that lack the subtlety and balanced dynamics characterizing the rest of it :rpgcodex:

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Tzimisce masterrace should have gassed the usurpers when we had the chance.

Vicissitude is so cool I just wish it wasnt literally just The Eldest infecting you tbh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom