Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs and Brian Mitsoda

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vortex, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    I gotta say one thing about the trailer: whoever made that clip of Harpo with the blood bag knows exactly how someone with a serious substance abuse problem who's about to fix himself looks.

• Brofist x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Vincente Novice

Vincente
    What are the chances of releasing Nosferatu as DLC?

• meh meh x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Hmm, its Paradox and they already announced prolonged support with new clans as DLC. Gangrel and Nosferatu are two obvious ones. Quite a few Assamites joined the Camarilla and the Setites joined the Anarch movement, so those are two less obvious choices. I assume anything beyond that is a bit of a stretch given the likely story and how the Sabbat are all going to fight in the middle east.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lord Andre Arcane

Lord Andre
    If I were to guess, ventru, toreador, tremere and brujah are 100% in because you don't really need extra level design to incorporate them. They're just humans with superpowers.

That leaves malkavians, gangrel and nosferatu. Nosfearatu would be the most expensive design wise to add so I'd say they're 100% out.

Between malkavians and gangrel I don't know. I'd say gangrels are easy to incorporate on the cheap by throwing some red eyes in there and a wolf/beast model or two and you're done. Malkavians require extra text and extra voice acting witch could get expensive, yet they're iconic to the first game and not including them might cause a goy backlash at launch.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    The only way they could get some salty peach.

^ Top  
  6. Saerain Scholar Patron

Saerain
    At the site's launch, I initially assumed those images were Brujah, Nosferatu, Thin-blood, Toreador, Tremere, and Ventrue, respectively.

Brujah a brutal mess at a bar.

Nosferatu an empty corridor in an abandoned building.

Thin-blood with the clock on 5:10 and dusklight from the window.

Toreador living for luxury.

Tremere subtlety at its best.

Ventrue capitalism.

• Agree x 3
    • nice x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    As a gamer who appreciates the value of playing Barbies in any RPG, I remain highly attuned to mention of fashion options. No word yet what the clothes will look like but it has been said several times that character customization will have many options. I'm sure there will be plenty of goofy "edge" outfits to choose from (if only as a sop to Malkavian history). Of course what the NPCs will dress like is anyone's guess; most of the NPCs weren't very wacky in the original Bloodlines, were they? Only Jeanette comes to mind as being silly-looking.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Oh, those images rep the six clans for launch?

How can they not do Malkavian to begin with? Once again I'm very pessimistic about this whole "adding clans later" thing; each clan should have unique content baked in to start with, particularly Malks as they famously had so much stuff just for them in the first game. This DLC stuff reeks of having a couple unique combat powers and nothing else since the game itself will already be set in stone.

• Agree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. GloomFrost Savant

GloomFrost
    Would they even be able to pull off Malkavians without Troika amazing writing?? As far as i know Mitozda is not involved in VTMB 2.

• not sure if serious x 4
    • honk honk! x 4
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    So are there going to be some narrative/gameplay unique clans like Malkavian and Nosferatu used to be?
    Glancing at the new edition rules it seems the clans all play the same, more or less, with the differences being akin to bonus stats here and there, and who gets a fireball as opposed to a frostbolt.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    The disciplines seem rather well differentiated at least.

^ Top  
  12. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    Brian Mitsoda will lead narrative design on Bloodlines 2, as stated on the announcement day.
    And I think you are overestimating how hard it is to write fourth wall breaks and witty insanity to dialogue options. I am sure they can handle it, if they prioritize it. I just haven't heard them saying they'll prioritize it. I don't want all classes to get "Yes" and Malkavian to get a pink font "JYaaaasss" that does the same. I want narrative differences, more than before. Its a sequel, its supposed to built up from the past.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Guillotine Operator Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Disagree. Paradox is all about publishing DLC that’s so expansive it fundamentally changes the nature of their games. And this game has a classic Paradox DLC schedule.

If they’re going to make you wait to play two of the original core clans, Malkavians and Nosferatu—the ones that IIRC Bloodlines explicitly warned you not to go with on your first playthrough—seem like the obvious choices. I desperately want them in the base game, but making people wait will likely result in a better experience for many players. Plus, Brian will have more time to get all the extra content right.

At the very least, Malkavian dialogue should be written after the rest of the game is finished because they have oracular abilities and you don’t want to have to keep fiddling with their lines as you revise the story.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    It's funny though. Most people who have chosen Malkavian for their first playthrough report to have had a great experience. At least, that's what I've read around the internets.

• Yes Yes x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Well the main thing is really that logically the entire thing assumes that the vampires end up spending decades with their thumb up their ass instead of doing anything or learning anything, but even besides that to me the problem is really that I feel there's a total disregard for how passage of time affects a person. Now, even though VtM vampires don't physically degrade in the ways humans do, my take or rather how I run Vampire is that I feel there is a limited shelf life for a vampire because of how disconnected they will become from the world (both by their own increasing isolation from it and the practical problems with pulling Uncle Brunos with senators or some such), which is probably around 50-100 years, after which you quickly go Full Dracula and become the vampire equivalent of a crazy hermit. The slipping happens faster the smaller your "surface contact" with the world would be (ie, Isaac would be able to adjust for a longer time than most because of the industry he is in contact with, while Nosferatu would arguably be so the longest because all they do is watch and learn everything around them even if from secrecy). To me, 50 years is more than enough to become Primogen of the Clan, because if business is cutthroat then the rate of turnover is high and the political landscape is fast. Also ties in with the aforementioned thing about losing track, since just as Gary has to recruit underlings to keep up with information technology, same thing happens all around and with generational repetition. A Ventrue will need to recruit new ghouls and eventually a new front man childe to take over the network business and political connections and investments, and they will probably have to go through multiple attempts to find this replacement, and then that Ventrue will do the same, and the whole process begins again (provided there's no split or catastrophe to cause a break; but eventually a succesful break would see the process described start anew).

I'd actually picture that over 90% of vampire population would be under 10 years since the Embrace, and most suffer Final Death soon. Bloodlines gets it right: Nobody wants to be the Prince, because that's a gilded cage and a bullseye on you, just sucker in someone who is ambitious and short-sighted enough to take all the risks of the job. Though the game also kinda screws this up with LaCroix being notably old despite how much everyone harps on him being young (and honestly, to me he ACTS way too young for someone who is supposedly from early 19th century; same thing with Beckett I'd picture him as being at earliest from the 50's).

But this is just me and my take on the Golden Rule of White Wolf books. I gleefully stole the Humanity revisions from Requiem 2e and I am exceedingly happy of the implementation of Blood Potency in V5 (it actually gave me a ton of new ideas, usually I indeed have been that "you might as well have the players be older Generation by assumption, you're just asking them to gimp themselves if you want to do some street level stuff"), since I'm never bothered about changing anything if I feel it serves the purpose of the game I'm running or playing, since canon is a meaningless term and rules are a set of tools. Never been too much of a fan of politics-centred games there myself tho, I'm more on the end of mystery and action sort of gothic horror since I feel Storyteller allows for fast improvisation and it thus benefits such stuff (also the metaplot is sort of that vein when taken as a whole, and I rather like the Vampire metaplot despite all the "and then the players watch NPCs do stuff" bullshit White Wolf has pulled). The politics and skulduggery is in service of the mystery, rather than the goal itself. That's how I like it anyway.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    They said they would make clan DLCs free. So who knows if they will be as big as you think.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ZeniBot Savant

ZeniBot
    That pre-alpha footage in the thumbnail looked shit. I've got a bad feeling about this.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Syme Educated

Syme
    Can confirm, I've recently played it properly for the first time (never left Santa Monica back in the day). I played for a couple of hours as a Tremere and then switched to Malkavian. The font took some getting used to, but it ended up being sooo much more entertaining, there's simply no comparison. Playing an idiotic but super dramatic (in my mind) vampire goth grrrl while everyone around you is serious or edgy as fuck was probably one of the best rpg experiences I've ever had :lol:. The game went from a good 7.5/10 to a hilarious 10/10 - until the fucking sewers that is, but Captain Noclip came to the rescue after about 10 minutes down there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    With Plus patch you can bypass most of the sewers.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lord Andre Arcane

Lord Andre
    The sewer meme is exagerrated. You'd have to be MCA playing Arcanum bad to struggle with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    Noclip is good for travel as well, especially in Downtown and Hollywood.
    Edit: you move alot faster, from point a to point b, especially when you need to backtrack.

• decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Modron Arcane

Modron
    The Warrens go like this: oh a second part I wonder if this is the last area, oh a third part I wonder if this the last area, and oh a fourth part I hope this is the last area. Sure the sewers weren't horribly long but yeah they would have been better served by having one less section same for the Chinese vampire compound.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    The difficulty isn’t the problem. It’s that it’s a long repetitive slog.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • meh meh x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Life of the Party Magister

Life of the Party
    Vaarna_Aarne

How do you feel about a) Wraith: The Oblivion and b) the whole God-Machine thing?

Also, you mentioned you like Promethean: The Created. How come?

^ Top  
  25. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    I don't really have any real experience with Wraith, so I can't say much.

As for Promethean I really like Mary Shelley's book and I really like multiple aspects and concepts (such as the way it handles an inherent motivation and goal) of Promethean in general. But it does have the problem that it really needs you to roll up your sleeves and get to work if you want to really make it work conceptually as a party-based game instead of a solo campaign.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)