Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs and Brian Mitsoda

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vortex, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I am certainly not going to pick that fog power because I am sure I am going to be irritated by it all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    When I first heard of this power I thought "uh-oh," because it really is very hard to design around. You'd have to design your game with the assumption that the player can turn into fog and get into anything that isn't hermetically sealed, like a thermos bottle or a spaceship or a submarine or something.

Turns out this didn't occur to those fucking retards and now they're just arbitrarily restricting it. God damnit. If they had at least held off announcing it they could've quietly cut it and gone like "hey look, bats! bats are cool!" instead.

I have no hope left for humanity anymore.

:dealwithit:

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • decline x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Turning into fog at will is totally doable in terms of gameplay. Blood Omen did it just fine, though arguably the tangentially related Plane Shift from Soul Reaver highlights how much you can do with a similar concept.

So if anything my guess is that it's purely a case of "but we can't have the player skipping fights!" sort of non-think. That sort of thinking gets us shit like Vampyr. Do as Blood Omen did, don't worry about the player being overpowered (really, overpowered player is nowhere near as bad as a botched attempt at being teh hard), fucking roll with it and let them go wild.

• Agree Agree x 11
    ^ Top  
  4. Zer0wing Arbiter

Zer0wing
    Wunderbar It's up to Paradox to allow modding and make Hardsuit Labs write a dedicated modkit for this game. So far they confirmed to allow mods.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    I'm sure it's doable, you just have to be creative and competent to do it. :M

^ Top  
  6. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    thoust fools!!1!

obviously fog magic needs a vent because realistic magic fog can't will itself to a given direction

the door is for :obviously: individuals who can move things with their thoughts

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Well not even creative or competent, the key thing is having a shift in perspective of how to design a game like this. Not thinking of a game as a linear challenge with a predetermined answer sequence, but instead a situation where the player has a given goal but few if any limits.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    It was explained to like this: You can turn into fog, but you can't move in that form, only be blown by air movements already present, like in vents. The reason seem to be twofold: 1) it's easier to include this gameplay wise and 2) the "real moving fog" discipline is a high level Gangrel power and there is no way a thinblood could manage this! But how does suffocating people work then? Do the enemies need to move into you when you are a fog or do you just need to be very close? Also shouldn't you be able to fly through the gate as a bat swarm? Or is the bat swarm only moving the player and the player is not turning himself completely into bats? Anyway, in my opinion both powers are stupid, even compared to the other magical disciplines...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    People are stupid, they like to inhale all fogs around them as soon as it shows up :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    That counts as creative and competent in my book. :M

^ Top  
  11. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Eh, so basically it's like Lara's climbing arrows in the new Tomb Raiders. "When you see a green cork board, you can use your climbing arrow, and that's it."

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    All this talk about fog. What about the mentalism/telekinesis power? What does that do? Anyone touched on that? All the videos are just bats or fog. Da fack?
    Can I use tk to control the hands of enemies to shoot/stab/jerk themselves to death? Can I lift myself up and fly? Can I take control of a steering wheel and drive people over? Can I dislocate a brick from a wall to mentally bash someone? Would said wall crumble if I took even more bricks out of it? Can I direct a tk shockwave to destroy the pillars holding a building so that that building now collapses on top of my enemies?
    Can I use tk to play with boobs? Can I take control over the blood of an NPC and stop it from circulating or his/her heart and stop it from pumping? Can I push a target into the water and hold him/her down until death?
    Can I take control of the water of an NPC that is drinking from a bottle and force it to go to the lungs? Can I stop atoms of oxygen from being inhaled by an NPC causing death by asphyxiation? Can I take control of the metal pieces (disks, bars)/protheses that may be present in an NPC who suffered a surgery and tk extract those pieces and kill people with them? Can I separate atoms from one another at the same time causing disintegration? Can I break a window and use a shard to kill the others or take control of an NPC and force it to yell, creating a distraction (if playing stealthy)?
    So many questions, sooooooo many uses of such an ability.........but nah, man, fog is where it's at.
    Why game is not an immersive sim? :killit:

• Creative Creative x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I gotta say I didn't expect to be right.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    I don't know anything more about that, but I would bet you will need to see what you want to move which basically makes most of your suggestions impossible right there and then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Storyfag Arcane Patron

Storyfag
    Thou fool!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Saerain Scholar Patron

Saerain
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. typical user Learned

typical user
    Thinbloods are supposed to be weak and here in Bloodlines 2 they get powers which required centuries of training for 6th gen vampires.

• Old Old x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ChildInTime Literate

ChildInTime
    As always, Ventrue keep winning I see.

Although, shouldn't Camarilla be staying in the shadows and banning all tech, considering this is the retarded 5th edition canon?

^ Top  
  20. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Yes, but they are also doubling down on the west and expanding over all of north america since the Sabbat more or less disappeared and the more anarchic states are seen as more of a threat than ever before -- the younglings keep using tech, so they can't be left to their own devices. Plus, there's some suspicion/fears/indications that elements of the camarilla called the Second Inquisition into being for the same purposes that elders did in medieval times, to use mortal agencies against their enemies. That or they are exploiting it from the shadows.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Herumor Educated

Herumor
    So we got the Pioneers and Camarilla. All that's left is the Anarchs, Sabbat and... what else is there? That's presuming they don't cut out Sabbat from the picture altogether, which wouldn't surprise me with their focus on humanity as a moral system.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sailor Woedica Savant The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Maybe its a sign of the end times or a cute trick of the blood played by Caine on his older children that have grown old and decrepit [​IMG]

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    Exactly, which is one reason why nebulation is not as good as the real Gangrel discipline. I wonder what the limitation of the bat swarm is...

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/faction-the-camarilla.1240368/

Dude from the announcement trailer confirmed to be Prince Cross.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    Huh, I like that. New age and all that. Why not, when the game takes place after Gehenna?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)