Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York + Shadows of New York standalone expansion

Vatnik Wumao
the Malkavian was entertaining
Eh, the way in which she (e-)portrayed her multiple personalities was kind of annoying to read. That being said, all companions were well done; though some of them suffered in terms of subplot (particularly thinking about the Gangrel's 'quest' ending).

In other news,
8T3U6Pr.png

OCD sated. Overall I'd rate it :3/5:.

J1M

Arcane
Looks like a cheap project designed to introduce people (women) to the intellectual property to prime them for the sale of Bloodlines 2.

Only one problem with their plan: women don't play games.

Vatnik Wumao

Hello dear members of #vamily, how are you today?

The time has finally come! Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York released on Nintendo Switch and the PC version got the biggest update since launch, which not only introduces several fixes and tweaks, but also improved game client with new locations and silhouettes of characters and new collector's content!

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Deluxe Edition is a bundle, which consists of the base game (significantly upgraded), an artbook (70 beautiful pages!) and official soundtrack (13 atmospheric tracks composed by Arkadiusz Reikowski and Brunon Lubas). The Deluxe Edition is now available for purchase!

Official Artbook consists of 70 pages full of concept arts from different stages of the game's development, final pieces of art included in the game, as well as quotes from the game's lead designer and artists engaged in creating stunning visuals - characters, backgrounds, animations - everything that makes Coteries of New York a truly atmospheric, fully licensed part of the globally renown Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition universe.

Additionally this artbook will contain link to over 20 Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York themed wallpapers (including desktop and mobile wallpapers and even some animated ones).

Official Soundtrack composed by Arkadiusz Reikowski, one of the most appreciated Polish composers, creator of several critically acclaimed soundtracks to games such as Kholat, Layers of Fear, Observer, Layers of Fear 2 etc., as well as by Brunon Lubas - one of the most talented Polish video games music composers, creator of Ritual: Crown of Horns soundtrack.

The 49 minutes and 1 second of Reikowski's and Lubas' atmospheric soundtrack consists of 13 tracks.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York base game has been enriched with several new locations and images of characters, who were previously presented as shadow silhouettes, as well as updated to version 1.0.06 and several fixes and tweaks are introduced:

• Choice of approach fixed in The Gift That Keeps On Giving quest
  • Various UI improvements
  • Fixed gamepad navigation in The Kaiser’s Lackey quest
  • Improved video synchronization with light animations
  • Improved sound design in companion quests
  • Various fixes to sound design in different parts of the game
  • New location backgrounds added to various places in the game
  • Various bug fixes in conversations

Of course, our work as a development team doesn't end here. There's still a lot to be done, more content to be added, as well as language versions. In the upcoming months we hope to add several features to Coteries of New York as the best achievable quality is our top priority!

Thank you for your continuous support, suggestions, constructive criticism and your engagement! You're almost welcome to join our official Discord channel[discord.gg], where you can speak directly with Draw Distance development team members.

All the best to you, stay healthy and #stayathome!

Jacek @ Draw Distance

jackofshadows

Magister
Eh, the way in which she (e-)portrayed her multiple personalities was kind of annoying to read. That being said, all companions were well done; though some of them suffered in terms of subplot (particularly thinking about the Gangrel's 'quest' ending).

In other news,
8T3U6Pr.png

How many runs was required for that? And how was it compare to, I'll dare to say, DE?

Vatnik Wumao

In other news,
8T3U6Pr.png

How many runs did require for that? And how was it compare to, I'll dare to say, DE?
Just 3 run, one with each of the clans. And it's quite mediocre (and pricey), so I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it heavily discounted.

jackofshadows

Magister
Just 3 run, one with each of the clans. And it's quite mediocre (and pricey), so I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it heavily discounted.
So, 3 runs for 10 hours length game? Fuck... Thanks mate, I think I'll wait for a cheap sale at best :salute:

Vatnik Wumao
So, 3 runs for 10 hours length game? Fuck... Thanks mate, I think I'll wait for a cheap sale at best :salute:
Do keep in mind that I've moved much faster in the later playthroughs since a lot of the content doesn't really change from playthrough to playthrough. Though on the issue of content, the game is set up in such a way as to not allow you to complete all of the 'questlines' in a single playthrough, so at least there's that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
My character is EXTREMELY HUNGRY but there's no option to go on a hunt. There's just missions, and MOST OF THEM don't involve feeding. It's a game of guessing which one does. Whose genius idea was that?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Finished the game, never lost control. Not sure if there's any beast related mechanics at all.

Vatnik Wumao
Disappointing and short. I should have refunded while I had the chance.
What's that supposed to mean?

That something disappointed you, but that could've been anything, so the entire post is meaningless.

The "main quest" disappointed me. There was no real build up and you sort of stumble towards the ending not knowing what's really going on and having no real agency.

Vatnik Wumao

That something disappointed you, but that could've been anything, so the entire post is meaningless.

The "main quest" disappointed me. There was no real build up and you sort of stumble towards the ending not knowing what's really going on and having no real agency.
The way that you are saved and (possibly) meet your companions at the end was a total asspull as well.

Vatnik Wumao

The way that you are saved and (possibly) meet your companions at the end was a total asspull as well.

Also there's no C&C. If you had no companions, the nosferatu primogen would rescue you instead. No difference in outcome.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Why did you expect agency from a visual novel? Do you also expect agency from actual novels? Did you read the Clan Novel Saga, how does this compare in terms of "buildup"?

I think you're one of those retards who expected a CYOA or an RPG, got a visual novel instead, got confused and rated it shit. And now the game has mixed reviews because of retards like you.

Vatnik Wumao

Why did you expect agency from a visual novel? Do you also expect agency from actual novels? Did you read the Clan Novel Saga, how does this compare in terms of "buildup"?

I think you're one of those retards who expected a CYOA or an RPG, got a visual novel instead, got confused and rated it shit. And now the game has mixed reviews because of retards like you.

Then the game should not have introduced choices or the hunger and time mechanic and claimed that it all mattered when it clearly didn't.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So, there's 3 things you can rate in a visual novel like this one. Writing, art and OST.

Writing is better than anything you can get from gamedev writers nowadays. E.g. cops speak like cops, plot features a lot of manipulation behind the scenes like you would expect from a VTM plot, the clans present their distinctive features, all characters have a unique voice. Everything is there, and the writing style itself is skillful.

Art - the backgrounds are a bit cheap, but very varied. Maybe a hundred places were drawn. And the mediocre quality is redeemed by the shaders. Trees move with the wind, water ripples, fans turn, lights flare up, eyes flicker, people move in the background, etc. It feels very alive for a game with 2d static backgrounds.
The characters' art is really cheap. That's the only downside of the game.

OST is fantastic and an awesome homage to VTMB.

Overall, a great treat for VTM fans.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Then the game should not have introduced choices or the hunger and time mechanic and claimed that it all mattered when it clearly didn't.
It's like saying that Fallout 2 should not have introduced Hubologist shuttle if you couldn't fly it.
Clearly, some things weren't finished. As is the case in all games. How's that a negative thing is beyond me. It didn't negatively affect the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom