Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Vampire: The Masquerade narrative RPG in development at The Council developer Big Bad Wolf

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 14, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Big Bad Wolf; Bigben Interactive

All the attention is focused on Bloodlines 2 these days, but some of you might remember that Paradox originally intended to license the World of Darkness IPs to other publishers. For example, the Cyanide-developed Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood action-RPG announced back in 2017. The publishing rights for that game were acquired by up-and-coming French publisher Bigben Interactive back in November, six months after they acquired Cyanide itself. I mention this because today Bigben announced that they were expanding their World of Darkness portfolio further by publishing a Vampire: The Masquerade RPG of their own. The developers are Big Bad Wolf, the French studio responsible for the underrated episodic historical adventure The Council, and I assume their Vampire "narrative RPG" will be a similar sort of game. Here's the relevant excerpt from Bigben's press release:

After a first foray into the World of Darkness universe with Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood, BIGBEN is proud to announce that its partnership with Paradox will be extended and that a game under the Vampire: The Masquerade licence is in development. Developed by Big Bad Wolf, creators of the episodic adventure game The Council, the game aims to define a new genre: the narrative RPG, inspired by the rules of the tabletop RPG. The studio will share more information at Gamescom in August.​

A representative from the website Wccftech appears to have attended Bigben's event and got a bit more information about the game:

If one thing could ever come as a surprise is when you realise that what’s already a huge IP is now getting expanded further than you thought it was. This is the case with the World of Darkness / Vampire: The Masquerade IP.

Not only are Paradox Interactive developing and releasing, in March 2020, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, the sequel to one of the best RPGs ever made, there’s another game in the works.

At the Bigben Interactive event today in Paris it was announced that Big Bad Wolf, the developers of The Council, have been working on a new narrative-driven RPG set in the world of Vampire: The Masquerade. This isn’t linked to the aforementioned Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, though it is set in the same world and will feature the things you would expect it to.

The information revealed so far is very limited and understandably so as the game has only been in production for three to four months. What has been said is that unlike The Council, Vampire: The Masquerade will not be an episodic game. It will be a full, large, RPG featuring a large narrative, with branching dialogues and everything you could expect from a Vampire: The Masquerade. All of the clans, the disciplines, they’ll all make their way in and work within the rules of the traditional tabletop RPG.

The only other thing that was said is that we won’t see this Vampire: The Masquerade for at least two years. All we can hope is that it will be the grand sort of RPG that really suits the license. I would say, following The Council, Big Bad Wolf should at least deliver on the dialogue options and variety. As for the rest, let’s wait and see.

All I know is I’m more than a little excited about the potential of more than one RPG in the setting. More information on the project will be divulged at Gamescom in August; stay tuned for more.
    And that's basically all we know right now. We'll be seeing more of Bigben's other two RPGs - Werewolf and Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - as soon as E3 next month, but for this we'll have to wait a bit longer.

• Brofist x 7
    • Excited! x 6
    • Informative x 4
    • incline x 3
    • thumbs down x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    The Council was pretty damn good, and a very fresh take on RPG/Adventure - and VTM setting, for all my reservations about it, seems like a perfect fit for the kind of gameplay and storytelling BBW aimed for.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I had forgotten all about this. I hope one of these games turns out to be good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Vampire: The Masquerade: The Walking Sim

Though most people do seem to like the walking sim elements of Bloodlines the most. Tides of Numenera failed because of all the words, perhaps this will succeed with brevity.

• Edgy x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    The Council was the opposite of a walking sim. There were actually quite a few failure states and bad endings.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • incline incline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. harhar! Educated

harhar!
    Calling it now: This game will be the better VTMB 2.

• Agree x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. HeroMarine Learned

HeroMarine
    Looks 5,000 times better than Bloodlines 2.

• incline x 2
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. HeroMarine Learned

HeroMarine
    Going by "The Council" trailer, Infinitron. Damn, you're fast.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arbiter

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Looks like a rocket-fueled jump to hasty conclusions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This, this is incline.

• Agree x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Bloodlines, a walking sim? Dafuq. How do you even define that concept so it can apply to the game?

The game isn't about exploring vistas, aside from girls in skimpy clothes that is, PC included. The game area is quite small, and the most walking you do, in the sewers, is generally reviled. It is not Morrowind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Van-d-all Learned

Van-d-all
    That's a pretty low bar tbh...

• Edgy Edgy x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Tides of Numenera failed because they made a story with you as the secondary character and everything revolving around the Changing God.
    For me, the game would have been much more interesting with you as the Changing God interacting with your Castoffs.
    And the interesting setting was severely underused, so much potential wasted.
    Colin tried but he's no MCA.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    You're thinking of hiking sims. I'm talking about walking sims, an evolution of the adventure genre where the interactive elements only involve walking and talking.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • what? x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The prototypical walking sim is something like Dear Esther which doesn't have much talking either. Not really fair to call a game with a heavy focus on dialogue choices a walking sim IMO. "CYOA game" is a more accurate pejorative. :P

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Visual Novel more like :P If you want to go pejorative, that is. And don't we already have a vampire VN with that Cobbett crap everybody already forgot?

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    1. Since when is CYOA = walking?
    2. Wouldn't you define it by the main activity done, i.e. talking, rather than the transportation mode, making it instead a "talking sim"?
    3. How is it a "sim"?

^ Top  
  18. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Why would it be a pejorative if it's an accurate description of the main interactive activity in the game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    When I think CYOA I think menu-driven gameplay with no ability to actually move your character, though sure, Torment was referred to as a cyoa.

^ Top  
  20. Tao Learned

Tao
    Well, consider me hyped. The Council was a pretty gud game and i can see how Vampire can be a good match with that style/genre

• incline incline x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nifft Batuff Learned

Nifft Batuff
    OK. Forget about the other VtM game. This one will be interesting.

• incline incline x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. V_K Arcane

V_K
    So what happened that we seem to be hating Bloodlines 2 now?

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Infinitron, why "edgy"? I'm genuinely curious - it seems like the reception of VtMB2 at announcement was generally optimistic, and now everyone and their mother seems to shit on it. I don't follow the thread so I'm curious what has transpired in between.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    It's what I said, people are being edgy. They seem to not like the look and feel of what we've seen so far (which is very little).

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Everybody's acting strange in the last few months.
    I noticed it on Discord too...

::cue X-files theme song::

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)