Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vanilla ToEE bugs

Mathalor

Educated
Holy Word-

The deafened effect seems to be permanent, it is supposed to last 1d4 rounds.

My druid is true neutral, and equal level with the cleric. She should not be blinded, only deafened. She gets both effects.

Her bear is further paralylzed, and attempts a saving throw each round. He should not get a saving throw vs holy word, unless he's an outsider fighting banishment.

I worry that at later levels, my cleric's holy word may kill an animal companion such as a wolf, when it shouldn't, due to bonus hit dice given due to the druid's levels.

Last edited:

Mathalor

Educated
Animal Companions in toee heal for 1 hit point when resting for eight hours, regardless of hit dice.

Mathalor

Educated
heroes feast does not make my characters immune to fear.

discovered this during the fight against zuggtmoy. summoned a balor via the golden orb, got hit by area fear spell, warrior and rogue feared.

Mathalor

Educated
lesser and greater bracers of archery are supposed to remove the nonproficiency penalty with any type of bow for a character who is not already proficient with any time of bow, but do not.

Noticed using a masterwork composite str 14 bow on a gnome wizard, and a masterwork composite str 12 longbow on a human cleric.

Bohandas

Educated
*Magic Circle Against Evil does not seem to privide protection from mind control to those affected by it

*The mind control protection from protection from evil applies to some effects that it shouldn't, such as bless

*The number of charges on new wands is wrong. They're supposed to start with 50 charges.

cowking

Scholar
There's a bug with Still metamagic in 1.0.38. Once applied it shows up as Quicken Spell if you examine the new spell entry, which can't be removed from the known spells list (it throws it above all known spells in the list). I've been able to reproduce this with wizard, sorc, asn, blackguard and multiple different spells (eg. mage armor) on different saves and new games.

Last edited:

Bohandas

Educated
The "Party Banter (text)" option keeps turning itself off. I have to reselect it every time I open the game

Mathalor

Educated
Coup de grace is supposed to allow a fortitude save based on damage, but instead automatically succeeds regardless of low damage.

Mathalor

Educated
Heavy Crossbows are supposed to take a full round to reload, they only take a standard action, just like light crossbows, making the light crossbow redundant.

Crossbow reloads should not be included in the coup de grace action. A crossbow should require reloading after performing a coup de grace.

Allyx

Savant
Are you certain your Heavy Crossbow wielder doesn't have the rapid reload feat? That feat makes reloading a move equivalent action rather than a full round action.

I would assume anyone using a Heavy Crossbow to do a coup de grace (melee ranged action only - you can't coup de grace from a ranged weapon) would be using the butt of the weapon to crush the target's head or wind pipe rather than shooting at point blank range.

Bohandas

Educated
The quest to rescue Paida is bugged. Several solutions that should work do not. As is, while Dispel Magic clears her mind correctly, Dispel Evil and Break Rnchantment turn her hostile, and Protection From Evil doesn't do anything

Bohandas

Educated
I think this is actually a bug from one of the *bugfixes* but invisbility now seems to be canceled by a lot of things that shouldn't cancel it, including switching weapons and traveling through a foe's threatened area

Dr. Bak

Novice
Mirror Image, multi-projectile spells, and Cleave
Should someone with (Great) Cleave who hits a mirror image be allowed a (Great) Cleave attack?

Regarding multi-projectile spells like magic missile, should they hit the mirror images too? Right now, MM bypasses MI. Baldur's Gate's mirror image spell worked differently, but that was 2.x and this is 3.5. I can see mirror image working either way with multi-projectile spells.

Magic Missile is just a targeted spell with no save, just like Maze or Power Word. Mirror Image creates targetable figments indistinguishable from reality (they can't even be disbelieved), so MI prevails. Same for the Cleave trigger. (Source: FAQ 3.5 p.84)

Allyx

They don't stack like they do in pnp? +2 bow with +2 arrows = +4 attack/damage.

They don't.

First off, hats off to Sitra Achara for an amazing mod. Not only can I play the game once more on Windows 10, but it works better and more faithfully to 3.5 than ever before. I started a new game a few days ago and am having a great time. I'm about half way through the Moathouse, having done the Deklo Grove and Emridy Meadows. I'll list off the potential issues I've come across so far (for the purpose of improving the mod, not criticism) and, once the forum clears my initial post, I can offer save games, if desired. Ordered categorically:

1.) Spider venom
Spider venom seems to be MUCH deadlier than it suggests in the help menu or in the source books (1d4 STR damage, twice, over a minute or so). In both my encounters with spiders thus far, though, one bite paralyzed characters with CONs of 15 and 10, respectively. The second time, the total damage amounted to a whopping 16 altogether, bringing them to -6 STR.

2. Holy water
A few small troubles with holy water: the SHIFT+Click description incorrectly gives damage as 1d6 instead of 2d4 (actual damage done is correct, however). Thrown holy water does not correctly count as a ranged touch attack (the target's armor bonus still applies). Holy water bottles do not break once thrown (allowing the party to reuse picked-up holy waters forever).

3. Heavy crossbows
Reloading heavy crossbows incorrectly takes 1 standard action instead of a full round (this was either a mistake or balance adjustment from the original game, I think).

4. Rapiers
The game incorrectly treats rapiers as a light weapon when wielded in the off hand (like short swords). They should be considered light for the purposes of Weapon Finesse, but not for dual wielding. The cutlass Brother Smyth sells in Hommlet is the correct version of the rapier.

5. Cleric's Protective Ward
Clerics with the Protection domain can use the Protective Ward ability. This grants +1 to saving throws per class level for 1 hour. However, it seems to be dispelled after any regular attack, even if no saving throw was rolled.

6. Magic thieves' tools
The thieves' tools outside the Moathouse claim to be magical when talking to vendors (and can be sold for around 30 gp before being identified, like any magic item), but, after spending the money to have them identified, reveal themselves to be ordinary thieves' tools.

7. Archers' five-foot step
Early enemy archers (the caravan bandits in the Lawful Good vignette and skeletons in Emridy Meadows) don't seem to take a five-foot step before firing their weapons, needlessly invoking attacks of opportunity. This could be a balance consideration: maybe the developers wanted to cut low-level parties a break? Maybe skeletons are too mindless to use such tactics? In any case, once the party reaches the Moathouse, enemies properly take five-foot steps or switch weapons.

8. Misaligned portraits
Hroth Renton (Elmo's dad, in the far south-west of Hommlet) has a portrait that does not align correctly in conversation--it appears far above the dialogue box at the top of the screen. Also, when tracking, monster portraits appear far below the pop-up box towards the bottom of the screen.

That's all I've found so far! I will write here again if I discover anything else of interest. Thank you so much again for your amazing work!

Endarire

Scholar
Sitra: You personally said that there's a logbook crash for having too many NPCs in the party at once (more than Atari expected). How'zabout fixing that?

Endarire

Scholar
I'm unsure if this was fixed, but when I played with T+ and Co8, I recall Iuz's attacks dealing STR damage or otherwise penalizing STR to his target despite having Otiluke's resilient sphere active.

Endarire

Scholar
The Stunned condition should cause a Stunned creature to drop everything held. (This wasn't true when I Stunned a creature holding a longsword via Stunning Fist: The target was Stunned, but didn't drop what she held.)

Bohandas

Educated
Has it been noted yet that Daze and Daze Monster seem to do absolutely nothing to anything?

Bohandas

Educated
I think this is a vanilla ToEE bug, but it might be a Co8 bug, since one of those missions is where I noticed it:

If the following sequence of events happen:
1.) Have 2 PCs ready against spellcasting
2.) Readied action is triggered by an NPC spellcaster
3.) The NPC caster is killed by the first PC before the second PC can act
...this crashes the game

Or at least it does if it happens during the fight in the Slavers quest; I haven't tried it elsewhere

Bohandas

Educated
Bohandas
Remember, those spells have HD caps.
I know. That's why I think they're bugged.

I didn't install any fork of the mod and didn't set any option to turn off troll HD. And even if I had it would still be bugged because it definitely counts their racial HD in their ECL

Bohandas

Educated
I just came across a bug in leveling monks up. If you already have Combat Reflexes and don't qualify for Deflect Arrows you can't select a 2nd level monk bonus feat and thus can't advance to monk level 2.

This is a bug for two reasons. First and foremost it prevents you from leveling up your character. Secondly, a monk isn't supposed to need to meet the prerequisites for their class bonus feats (see https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm#bonusFeat)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom