Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vast hour and half long Fallout 4 analysis

2house2fly

Magister
If the price I have to pay for MCA being put in charge of a game is that game being a Fallout 4 spinoff then...

Iznaliu

Arbiter
itemization were greatly improved

I would not call the removal of unique items 'a great improvement'. Good itemisation is more than cookie-cutter randomly generated items; it is items that truly feel special and unique and have a discernible effect on gameplay. From what I know of Fallout 4, items fell generic and boring and you can get items that last the whole game in the first 5 or so hours.

If you could get MCA or some ex-Obsidian (because Obsidian sucks now) guys to make a spinoff in the FO4 engine it would be solid.

No. the FO4 engine is FUBAR unless you give it a drastic overhaul.

If the price I have to pay for MCA being put in charge of a game is that game being a Fallout 4 spinoff then...

MCA is not a renaissance man. The game, while having good writing and plot, would have horrible gameplay. He knows this, so he sticks to writing these days.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oh yess, validate my opinion baby,

*rubs nipples*

oh yeah, right there, my opinion, validates it bby. oooooo yeeaaaaa oooooooo heeeeeya

^p much the reason why people make and watch these videos

Keye_

Educated
oh yess, validate my opinion baby,

*rubs nipples*

oh yeah, right there, my opinion, validates it bby. oooooo yeeaaaaa oooooooo heeeeeya

^p much the reason why people make and watch these videos

It's more than validation.
Sometimes when you play a game or watch a movie you get the feeling that it's shit. You're not having fun, nothing feels good, you can't get invested, etc.
And then I wonder: why do I not enjoy this? What makes this bad? And you can come up with some obvious reasons, like: no skill system, no interesting exploration, no tactically rewarding combat, etc. But other people have just thought about these things more and they can present you with arguments and examples that clarify your own position. I can watch videos like this and get the realization: That's what was bothering me! (even though I didn't explicitly think of it myself)
You could compare it to reading a philosphical essay or something. You may have the intuition: "everyone should have acces to healthcare". But you can only bring up very basic and intuitive arguments. Then you go read an essay that arguments for it and in it you will probably find arguments and intuitions that you agree with, although these opinions weren't explicit before. It's diffenrent from validation. Validation seeks to confirm what you already think. What I'm saying is that these videos can help you discover what you actually think, make your latent opions explicit.

There is a difference between seeking validation and seeking to strenghten your position. I'm still critical about arguments presented and don't agree with everything, but sometimes it can really help to understand why some games are good and others bad. Iit can help you understand your own tastes better. At least, that's how it works for me.

2house2fly

Magister
I eat these videos up like candy. I think the longest one I've seen is a solid 3 hours and didn't really go into the DLC

pippin

Well, in the case of 4, there isn't really much to say about the DLC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They've been mailing it in on DLC since Skyrim. Even though the majority of FO3 DLC was terrible at least they put forth some effort into it.

A horse of course

They've been mailing it in on DLC since Skyrim. Even though the majority of FO3 DLC was terrible at least they put forth some effort into it.

Huh? Fallout 3 got one "true" expansion DLC and a bunch of linear trash like Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta and whatever the one with the edible baby was. Fallut 4 got a bunch of bite-sized trash, The Mechanist, and then two proper-sized expansions.

Nael

Arcane
This video is similair to that about Fallout 3, but author is diffrent and in my opinion video is better than that about F3 as author logically and with calm voice pointed out every aspect of the story and explained why main story is shit. Entire video is very good but from 11:37 to 1:00:00 and then since 1:06:32 it is pure gold. If you never want to try Fallout 4 there you can gain all the knowledge that is needed to hate the game.

treatment_aclockworkorange.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Huh? Fallout 3 got one "true" expansion DLC and a bunch of linear trash like Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta and whatever the one with the edible baby was. Fallut 4 got a bunch of bite-sized trash, The Mechanist, and then two proper-sized expansions.
I dunno if I'd call that Nuka-World thing 'proper-sized.'

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
The target audience is Skyrim players. What did he expect?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom