Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
nova64_4bf1e649d2611.png

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Full price is a relative concept these days as it varies from one region to another. Even the number of copies sold can be very misleading, for the lack of a better word, when games are sold via bundles. At some point the bundles accounted for 2/3 of Grimrock's sales, so while Grimrock 2 sold a lot less, it might have earned more money.

Anyway, as of this morning AoD sold 32,746 copies (BMT, Steam, GoG, GamersGate) generating $804,400.82, which comes to $24.56 per copy.

Aenra

Must be proud to know YOUR sweat and tears brought in a net 800k thus far.. You did well VD and team :)

At a moment more down to earth, do tell if you don't mind just how much of it is lost in taxation, revenues/fees, et al. I know it will be a disheartening amount, but am really curious. Again, if you don't mind and are of course able to.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
after justin trudeau and uncle sam have their way with their anus they'll be lucky to have 300k left over

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
after justin trudeau and uncle sam have their way with their anus they'll be lucky to have 300k left over

Probably a little bit more than that. EA's effective tax rate these days is 13%. Not necessarily representative with the international character of video game sales but it'd put them more in the realm of $450,000-$550,000.

vmar

Savant
Finally bought AoD a couple days ago, loving every second of it so far. I restarted about 5 or 6 times which usually would annoy me but the way Teron is set up with each background filling in a different part of whats going on was really cool. Playing a merchant right now, I love being able to talk my way through anything.

The combat seems kinda dull but I haven't done much of it, playing people/factions against each other is way more entertaining.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Full price is a relative concept these days as it varies from one region to another. Even the number of copies sold can be very misleading, for the lack of a better word, when games are sold via bundles. At some point the bundles accounted for 2/3 of Grimrock's sales, so while Grimrock 2 sold a lot less, it might have earned more money.

Anyway, as of this morning AoD sold 32,746 copies (BMT, Steam, GoG, GamersGate) generating $804,400.82, which comes to $24.56 per copy.
That's fantastic! Obviously between distributors, taxmen, etc. it gets whittled away, but that seems like a great haul even spread over 11 years -- and there's no reason to think sales have dried up. I imagine this will have a long tale, with humps every time a new ITS game is released.

Mustawd

Probably a little bit more than that. EA's effective tax rate these days is 13%. Not necessarily representative with the international character of video game sales but it'd put them more in the realm of $450,000-$550,000.

On average most effective corporate tax rates are around 30% though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That's not how it works.

On average most effective corporate tax rates are around 30% though.
In Ontario:

Small business tax rate
For tax years that end after 2015, the small business tax rate will be reduced from 11% to 9% over four years as follows:
  • 10.5% effective January 1, 2016;
  • 10% effective January 1, 2017;
  • 9.5% effective January 1, 2018; and
  • 9% effective January 1, 2019.
As for Uncle Sam:

Article XII
Royalties

1. Royalties arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State.
2. However, such royalties may also be taxed in the Contracting State in which they arise, and according to the laws of that State; but if a resident of the other Contracting State is the beneficial owner of such royalties, the tax so charged shall not exceed 10 per cent of the gross amount of the royalties.
3. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 2,

(a) copyright royalties and other like payments in respect of the production or reproduction of any literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work (other than payments in respect of motion pictures and works on film, videotape or other means of reproduction for use in connection with television);
(b) payments for the use of, or the right to use, computer software;
(c) payments for the use of, or the right to use, any patent or any information concerning industrial, commercial or scientific experience (but not including any such information provided in connection with a rental or franchise agreement); and
(d) payments with respect to broadcasting as may be agreed for the purposes of this paragraph in an exchange of notes between the Contracting States;

arising in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in that other State.

Mustawd

Ahh yes, forgot you were Canadian VD. I was thinking corporate income tax rates for American corps. Regardless, I'm sure there would be some breaks for small businesses, so 30% probably doesn't apply anyhow. Whatever, taxes are boring.

Branm

Learned
Now if you're like me you have a couple of freeloader neighbors who will happily consume everything you paid in taxes to support their life choice to be unproductive wastrels.
Lots of those leeching off social welfare or disability here in Ontario :(

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Old One

Arcane
Well, if you want to come to where I live I can show you a large family of able people who don't spend much time working, yet consume thousands and thousands of dollars every year to fund their smoking, late-night drinking, and bastard spawning. I stopped being polite about it when I found out they got a government handout to pay for surgery on their annoying dog.

Are they honest, virtuous, hard-working people who sheepishly accept assistance just to make ends meet? No. They proudly ferret out every available subsidy in order to take advantage of it, and they're really, really good at it. They will never pay for anything themselves if they can get the public treasury to do it for them. They're so good at it, it kind of proves how little they actually need it, since they could obviously figure out how to do something else if they had any motivation to do so.

Iri

Educated
shut up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom