Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview VGTribune Slams Dragon Age

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

It seems Bioware's marketing may be pulling in the wrong crowd. The folks at <a href="http://vgtribune.com/dragon-age-origins-hands-on-impressions/">VGTribune aren't exactly enamored</a> with Bioware's playable demo.<blockquote>Sure, dragons are cool <b>and Dragon Age Origin’s developers know how to make a great trailer</b>, but that’s not enough to make a great game.
<br>
[...]
<br>
At that point I thought I would be alright with juggling the three characters in order to progress through the game, but I hadn’t put my finger on the gameplay’s flaw yet. <b>After hitting the attack button several times for the character I had selected, I realized that I wasn’t attacking.</b> That’s when I realized that each of the character’s attacks had to refresh before they could be used again. These refresh rates take so long that they force you to switch between characters if you want to deal any real damage. Each character has three attacks, but as they do little damage and quickly run out, players are forced to swap out their characters until they find one whose attacks attacks have refreshed. Although I only played for a few minutes, this quickly began to annoy me. Swapping between characters and trying to find the one whose attacks are available in order to deal minimal amounts of damage is not my idea of fun.</blockquote>Perhaps marketing an RPG in the same way one might market God of War wasn't such a sharp idea and might give a lot of people the wrong impression?
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

sheek

Arbiter
Lollerz.

The guy does have a point though. If you are going to make an steroid fuelled action game, make an action game, don't import the shitty, tired old Bioware RTwP which never worked in actual CRPGs either.

Silellak

Cipher
The way the reviewer describes it, it almost sounds like an MMO, except you get to micro-manage a party and there's no auto attack.

That's my biggest concern. At least in most RTwP systems, I can sic my melee characters on certain enemies and know that they'll attack until the enemy is dead. I only need to micro-manage the characters if I want to use a specific ability (cast a spell, use a melee skill, etc.)

I hope Dragon Age has this. I really don't want even my basic attacks to have cool-downs that require I manually re-attack every time.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ah the pitfalls of the fighter classes in RTwP are being repeated again.

sheek

Arbiter
Silellak said:
The way the reviewer describes it, it almost sounds like an MMO, except you get to micro-manage a party and there's no auto attack.

That's my biggest concern. At least in most RTwP systems, I can sic my melee characters on certain enemies and know that they'll attack until the enemy is dead. I only need to micro-manage the characters if I want to use a specific ability (cast a spell, use a melee skill, etc.)
Not in KOTOR (2 anyway). Once you finished off killing one minion you had to manually click the next one, even though he was already attacking you, otherwise you'd just stand there taking hits.

Silellak

Cipher
sheek said:
Silellak said:

Not in KOTOR (2 anyway). Once you finished off killing one minion you had to manually click the next one, even though he was already attacking you, otherwise you'd just stand there taking hits.

True, you did have to manually re-assign a new target. But from this reviewer's experience, you have to manually re-assign every new attack, even on the same target. I don't think any RTwP game has worked like that before.

I'm hoping it can be chalked up to reviewer confusion/inexperience.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Silellak said:

I hope Dragon Age has this. I really don't want even my basic attacks to have cool-downs that require I manually re-attack every time.
Oh, come on, off course DA don't require you to click an enemy before every attack. Just look: a <s>journalist</s>, <s>gam</s>... some retard starts to play an RTwP game and thinks he need to click as fast as possible to win the battles, then realises it doesn't work and commands next attack right after. How could he find whether party attack without your constant control?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Gragt said:
F050.png
That shit is awesome.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Congrats Bioware! That's now your target audience for ALL YOUR GAMES NOW! Welcome to EA!

r00fles!!!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Not really fair to take this review seriously, it's obvious that the previewer is either a moron or a skilled troll.

NOVD

Scholar
I don't really buy the review, mostly because it's horribly written. Learn how to use more than one sentence structure, chum.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Did BioWare forget to buy-off the reviewers or something?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
HAHAH! The reviewer is retarded. DA is a RPG. Not a shooter or an action game. Lots of combat (which 99% of RPGs have) does not equal action game.

The complaint is retarded.

"Perhaps marketing an RPG in the same way one might market God of War wasn't such a sharp idea and might give a lot of people the wrong impression?"

Except they've also marketd it as a'spirual successor' of BG, NWN, and KOTOR which all use RTw/P so OMGZ the game uses the same sort of combat system. STOP THE FUCKIN' PRESSES!!!

This isn't ME. ME is an Action RPG (and, even it doesn't allowe you to spam attacks non stop, btw). DA is a RPG.

Anwyays, these areviews are entertaining. Keep it up!

"Did BioWare forget to buy-off the reviewers or something?"

Spent all their 'buy off' budget money on ME2, and KOTOR MMO which are both getting great press.

R00fles!

LittleJoe

Arbiter
sheek said:
Lollerz.

The guy does have a point though. If you are going to make an steroid fuelled action game, make an action game, don't import the shitty, tired old Bioware RTwP which never worked in actual CRPGs either.

I actually LIKE RTwP. I just hope you need to pause in this game.

If you didn't pause in the BG games, your party would often be dead within 10 seconds.[/i]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
To me, it sounds like the console ports are rushed, and they haven't really been able to come up with an interface that works well. I'm afraid they'll have to dumb it down even more before release, so that it's somewhat playable on consoles despite the interface issues.

But from this reviewer's experience, you have to manually re-assign every new attack, even on the same target. I don't think any RTwP game has worked like that before.

I doubt it works like that, most likely he tought it was an action game and didn't even consider waiting a little to see if the character would attack again. Must switch characters, ADD ADD ADD won't let me alone ADD ADD ADD

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
I remember feeling like this back when I was twelve and I first played Baldur's Gate. It annoyed me for the first hour before I came to the realization that it was actually a turn based system in disguise as real time combat. However, I couldn't really explore that more because it was my bedtime. A more in-depth look into the system would have to wait until tomorrow after school.

Question of the day: Why is the gaming press staffed by tweens?
The best answer receives a free equippable ring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom