Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News VGX 2013: South Park and Witcher 3 Trailers

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: CD Projekt; Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Yesterday was VGX 2013, formerly known as VGA, the annual video game award show organized by Spike TV. Hosted by the Dorito Pope himself and a dude named Joel McHale who spent the entire evening trolling, this year's show promised to "abandon the traditional Hollywood style award show to feature more world premiere game trailers than ever before, plus extended deep dives into the next generation of games, new looks at gaming culture, one-on-one interviews with the industry's most visionary creatives and expert panels digging into what's coming to consoles in 2014 and beyond". Well, there was some of that, but as far as RPGs go, all we got were two trailers.

First, a new trailer for South Park: The Stick of Truth, the game about farting.

Second, one of the Codex's favorite conversation topics, a new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt trailer, featuring the King of the titular Hunt doing his best Sauron impression.

And that's it. No interviews with anybody from Obsidian or CD Projekt, although South Park's Matt Stone and Trey Parker did show up for two minutes...to announce the Game of the Year award.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Whoa, South Park, they really worked hard to create an unappealing trailer.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    2014 is shaping up to be terrible.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I really wish gameplay trailers had more actual gameplay footage. :|

^ Top  
  5. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The Witcher 3 trailer was pretty bleh, too. I liked both Witcher games for different reasons, but this last trailer just seemed uninspired and like they were just going through the motions. Geralt versus the Wild Hunt should be full of a lot of win, but I don't like the clean, armored look of the enemy. I always pictured the Wild Hunt to be driven by barbarians in leather armor wearing stag helmets, while being chaotically wild to the point of insanity. Alien armor and an organized otherworldly invasion gives too many bad memories of Oblivion rather than what I would have liked to see.

^ Top  
  6. mvBarracuda Augur

mvBarracuda
    Winter is definately coming. I hope that dragons (and pizza) are on their way.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Why does the guy at 1:00 look like every evil corporate/government white collar guy in every American movie ever made?

^ Top  
  8. Grinolf Cipher

Grinolf
    There are nothing barbarian, chaotical, wild or insane about the Wild Hund. And I believe, that it was already established in TW2, that they are
    Show Spoiler
    elves,
    so it's not like one need read the books in order to know it.
    Still I don't find the design of them very bland and not satisfying.

^ Top  
  9. asper Arcane

asper
    Project: Eternity
    Well, at least the music in the Witcher one is pretty nice.

^ Top  
  10. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I was hoping the secret Obsidian game woudl've been announced there, so we could've started betting how the publisher fucks them up this time around. :troll:

No but, seriously, I am kind of interested in seeing what it is - for better or worse.

^ Top  
  11. AbounI Colonist Patron

AbounI
    I still wonder how dynamical real time combat can also be tactical

^ Top  
  12. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I like how not even the RPG Codex cares enough to even mention that they voted Ni no Kuni as RPG of the Year. :lol:

^ Top  
  13. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Nice jrpg armor there, King of the Hunt. :M Reminds me of Golbez.

[​IMG]

-

:what:

Wasn't expecting this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    is this a joke ? tell me its a joke

^ Top  
  15. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Telltale is being milked to no end now that their interactive novels have been proven profitable. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but Borderlands and GoT - what with being produced simultaneously - sound more like monetizing than intuitive decisions out of actual, honest interest.

^ Top  
  16. snoek Augur

snoek
    Who's the troll?

^ Top  
  17. Explorerbc Arcane

Explorerbc
    They already have The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead S2 to release as well. I don't think it is easy to run so many projects that are also so diverse, and make them all successful. Plus , before the Walking Dead received such praise from everyone , they were considered by many a hit and miss studio. The Borderlands one seems especially weird to me, considering they have to go from an action loot based fps with almost non-existent lore, to an interactive novel/adventure game. We'll see how it goes.

^ Top  
  18. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    I don't really care enough to start speculating their possibilities. The Walking Dead was a nice concept, but I have no real interest in what they are doing now (not adverse to surprises, though - maybe something really good comes out of this). It just seems to me that the leeches got to them, and now they and their concept are being sucked dry (unless they pull it off somehow).

^ Top  
  19. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm looking forward for SP, I like the show and its low brow humor, but this trailer was just disgusting. I fear that every second thing you will do in the game will involve farting.

^ Top  
  20. The Running Man Barely Literate

The Running Man
    Any news from CD Projekt about cyberpunk 2077?

^ Top  
  21. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    I see Obsidian fulfilled their goal of making South Park look like a cartoon. The visuals and animations look really good. Can't say the same about the quality of the jokes though. Although I never found the show all that funny safe for a select few episodes.

They might as well have not bothered with the Witcher 3 trailer.

^ Top  
  22. Kron Arcane

Kron
    FUCK.

Why do all developers have to fall into this GENERIC EPIC® crap?

[​IMG]

This shit looks straight out of a Sauron-JRPG abominable birth.

Why can't they make it look like this?

[​IMG]

What the hell right?
    They're INTERSTELLAR ELVES anyway, so who cares?

Edit: That´s an actual wild hunt painting.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Just imagine the guy going to a blacksmith and telling how he wants his armor...

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    All those GRAFICS and no tits physics.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top