Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Game Cinematics/cutscenes/...

laclongquan

Arcane
Bitch please! They are just game cinematics that aspire to be films. The heralds of thing to come.

The good cinematics is the one that use real electronic pixels to do things, instead of human actors.

Goold old Deadlock2 Shrine War

Binky

Cipher
Maybe they should've spent that money on the actual game. Or maybe not, that way we have at least a kick-ass trailer.
They should've sold a modified version of that awesome trailer to NASA (or any other space agency) to be used as a recruitment tool. And then use that cash to make a decent game instead of that soulless abomination.

Binky

Cipher
Beaten by X-files rejects:
XCom - Alien victory

I don't remember many other games where playing an evil bastard was so enjoyable:
NWN2 Mask of the Betrayal - evil ending

All Endless Legend faction intros are nice. Fifty Shades of Harry Potter Ardent Mages being my favorite.

Endless Space - Hissho intro

Myth: TFL cutscenes are a bit too cartoony compared to the rest of the game. Great way to introduce the Trow, though. Casualties.

Siobhan

Arbiter
As a counterpoint, I nominate Albion's intro for the worst opening to a great game:

Not only does it look really bland and low-effort, it has nothing to do with the game at all. The narration implies that this is a recurrent dream of Tom, the protagonist, but afaik it's never mentioned again in the game (quite generally it is one of Albion's weak points that everything we learn at the very beginning is almost completely forgotten about 1h later --- e.g. Tom's girlfriend and his colleague Akira; it's also insanely dickish to deliberately strand the crew of a giant spaceship on a very dangerous and primitive planet just to protect the environment).

Binky

Cipher
Another World - Howdy, alien in burqa.

Alone In The Dark - Intro (and an ending)

As dated as the graphics are today, few games managed to freak me out as much as when my lamp ran out of oil in the middle of the library... with that transdimensional creep stalking me.

Rise & Rule of Ancient Empires - Stupas & ziggurats

Yet another game with lousy gameplay but lovely art.

Banner Saga - Funeral rites

Diablo - Lazarus cometh

Ah, Lazarus. Arguably, the MVP of the game when it comes to atmosphere. His little villain's exposition diaries alone put most VG voice acting to shame.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
That's such Japanese behaviour: body language, gesturing, actions in general. No English male, hell no non-Jap would crawl backwards away from an advancing female on all fours and perform all those exaggerated flailing gestures.

Clocktower 3 was a p.cool game interactive experience, even if it was mostly a walking/running away sim. Some pretty horrific scenes, shock factor and sense of paranoia if played at night with the lights off and high out of your mind.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Always thought this scene of a Yak strafing civilians in a Polish insurgent village after the first Soviet mission in Red Alert to be "emotionally engaging".

In it's simplicity, it's superior to something like this:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

I love the intro to Star Trail and Blade of Destiny. It looks strange, but it's some of my favorite pixel art animation. The in-game videos, that guy climbing into your room and some of the NPCs talking, aren't as good, but the intro is just great.

Binky

Cipher
Blackthorne - Intro

Fahrenheit - The sacrifice

Baldur's Gate 2 ToB - Evil god

Warcraft 2 - Orc ending

Dedicated to mondblut:
Celtic Tales: BotEE - ending

Binky

Cipher
Heroes of Might and Magic III - Intro

...and outro

Dungeon Keeper - ending

Dungeon Keeper 2 - warlock & imp (3rd cutscene)

Prince of Persia 2 - intro

sser

Arcane
Developer
I watched the entire Heavenly Sword 'movie' on YouTube. It actually has really good voice acting and lip syncing.

Still looks pretty good. Here's my favorite scene,

Andy Serkis.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Red Alert 2 intro will always be the best thing in video gaming for depicting a rain of missiles being launched onto american symbols.

Of course, the fact that it extended into gameplay and you could actually rape NYC was the cherry on the cake. The soviet campaign is the best thing in the history of solo RTS campaigns.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom