Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Videos from cancelled Ultima X: Odyssey MMO

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-engaging-multiplayer-combat/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the first in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

Entitled “Engaging Multiplayer Combat”, this ninety-second video offers us a look — as its title suggests — at multiplayer combat in the game. In the process, we get to see a variety of monsters, settings, weapons, magic spells, character races, and equipment that would have featured in the game had it not been cancelled in early 2004.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-epic-quests/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the second in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

Entitled “Epic Quests”, this eighty-second video offers us a look — as its title suggests — at some of the quests that would have featured in the game. In the process, we get to see a variety of monsters and settings that would have featured in the game had it not been cancelled in early 2004, as well as a glimpse at how first-person combat would have worked in the game.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Having never played any of the UO games, how much had they dicked with the setting by this point in the franchise? Would this really have been any interest to Ultima fans of old or, by this stage, was it just a name tacked on for franchise recognition reasons?

Also, love the hilariously dramatic death animations in the quests video.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-character-customization/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the third in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

Entitled “Character Customization”, this two-minute video offers us a look — as its title suggests — at the character customization options that the game would have offered to players. In the process, we get to see a variety of the playable races that would have featured in the game had it not been cancelled in early 2004, as well as a goodly number of different pieces of equipment that each would have been able to equip.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-accessible-game-play/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the fourth in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

Entitled “Accessible Game Play”, this two-minute video offers us a look — as its title suggests — at the gameplay of Odyssey. In the process, we get to see how combat and leveling up would have worked in the game had it not been cancelled in early 2004, how the loot and equipment systems would have worked, how special abilities would have been used…and, of course, more combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-lush-environments/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the fifth in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

Entitled “Accessible Game Play”, this two-minute video offers us a look — as its title suggests — at the game’s gorgeous, Unreal-engine powered environments. In the process, we get to see castles, towns, libraries, dungeons, forests, wastelands, mountain ranges, rivers of water and lava, old ruins, deserts, valleys, and (yes) more dungeons. Had Odyssey not been cancelled in early 2004, it’s clear that its world, Alucinor, would have been a marvelous one to wander through and explore.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Having never played any of the UO games, how much had they dicked with the setting by this point in the franchise? Would this really have been any interest to Ultima fans of old or, by this stage, was it just a name tacked on for franchise recognition reasons?

A lot. UO was faithful to the Ultima lore up to the first expansion, which introduced pizzas and katanas into it. Then it went even more downhill from there. The planned UO2 had pretty much nothing to do with Ultima.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

A lot. UO was faithful to the Ultima lore up to the first expansion, which introduced pizzas and katanas into it. Then it went even more downhill from there. The planned UO2 had pretty much nothing to do with Ultima.

As I understand, when Mythic took over UO development and maintenance, they started releasing expansions that were more related to the Ultima lore again.

MCA
I played UO only once, though I've watched a friend play it before. Within my first minutes with the game, I was mobbed and then murdered. Then someone took pity on me and resurrected me. I tried to steal a horse shortly after. I was killed before I could get far. At that point, I decided that I was too old for this crap and never turned back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-stylized-monsters/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the fifth in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

Entitled “Stylized Monsters”, this ninety-second video offers us a look — as its title suggests — at the many of the enemies that would have been encountered in the game. Descriptions of many of the enemies depicted here can be found on the Codex of Ultima Wisdom.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
IIRC they pulled the plug on this because at the time Ultima Online was their cash cow. And making a competitive product to it was deemed not a wise decision.

I don't know the reason behind UO2's cancellation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
IIRC they pulled the plug on this because at the time Ultima Online was their cash cow. And making a competitive product to it was deemed not a wise decision.

I don't know the reason behind UO2's cancellation.

Same reason.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://uxo.ultimacodex.com/ultima-x-odyssey-extended-gameplay/

Courtesy of Ben “Bandit LOAF” Lesnick, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum, and everyone who took part in the Mythic Archiving Project in 2008, the Ultima Codex is pleased to present this video, the seventh and last in a series of videos included on a preview DVD that was assembled for the game, but which may never have been released:

This chapter of the DVD, really just an “extra content” piece, showcases over half an hour of gameplay. Over the course of the footage, we get to see pretty much all of the major aspects of Odyssey’s gameplay.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wait.

Was it known that the music of the game had been released ?

he orchestral score for the game was composed by Chris Field. Field also produced a soundtrack album, entitled “Ultima X Odyssey: Music by Chris Field”, with an eighty-one piece orchestra. The orchestra was recorded in Bastyr Chapel in Seattle, Washington. The album included thirty-three pieces of music.[2] A small portion (roughly six pieces of the original thirty three) of the musical pieces were later released as part of the online game for Lord of Ultima.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom