Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Pretty sure most of that was paid for.

If you haven't played Divinity Original Sin yet, you should get that asap. It gives hope that CRPG's aren't dead. It actually doesn't do a very good job of some things like the story and dialogue, but it does a really great job of other things, especially the combat which is fantastic and revolutionary.

Also Blackguards is a must play if you like tactical stuff. And Age of Wonders 3. (or the first one).

Really liked Original Sin. Haven't tried Blackguards, seems to get a very mixed response.

Yeah Steam reviews are not great I think all the negatives are because the game released really buggy. But it has had a million patches since then, so it is good now. I didn't play it until earlier this year. It still had some bugs but nothing major and it was soooo worth it.

This one wasn't a joke, please do play it

Have added to wishlist. Can't be long till the Steam sale hits. Playing a bit of Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. Prefer it to Civ, even though it owes a lot to it.
That is the only problem, it is still quite expensive for an old indie game. But if you can get it on a sale, it is a total bargain. That's when I got it. I think maybe last Xmas. Also if you like Fallen Enchantress, you might like to try Age of Wonders 3.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
That is the only problem, it is still quite expensive for an old indie game. But if you can get it on a sale, it is a total bargain. That's when I got it. I think maybe last Xmas. Also if you like Fallen Enchantress, you might like to try Age of Wonders 3.

Will have a look at age of wonders 3. Yeah, thought it was a bit pricey. Some of the reviewers said they picked it up at 90% off, so will keep an eye out.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think it was 90% off when I got it. Best bargain ever. AOW3 is really good, I kickstarted that game because I spent about a million hours on the first 2 games.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Quick update on Version 12:

Making fairly good progress on this update. Have added 4 new maps, and you can now target specific body parts with melee and ranged to inflict additional damage/status effects. It's fairly basic for now, but it will develop in time. Also, just finished adding weapon crafting - there will be a few weapon crafting options in the next update, which is around 2 weeks away.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Version 12 now available for download. The biggest additions/improvements are 4 new maps, 5 new perks, the ability to target specific body parts, and weapon crafting. Several of the new additions on this time where originally suggested by codexians, so cheers! Full release notes here, and the latest development video below. If anyone is playing the more recent versions, would be interested to get your feedback, either here or on the game's forum, which is here.

Comments welcome!

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
:salute:

This is good shit, comrade. btw, you got a road map or some such? or any indication of how far the game is from being complete.

Cheers anus_pounder. Best guess for completion is June, although that will get pushed out depending on how much time is spent developing additional features.

No road map as such. Since the design and development team amounts to the grand total of one person, it allows less time to be spent on comms and planning. That said, I plan 1-2 updates in advance. Maps and perks are pretty much a given for every update until final release, given the number that have to be created. After working on maps, I work on features/tweaks, then perks, then fixes and playtesting. Aiming to release a new version every 3-4 weeks until completion.

In the next update, feature wise, I'm going to focus on perks which unlock abilities that can be activated in battle, have AP costs, and cooldowns. Also going to experiment with adding a cone of fire to shotguns. I'm not 100% sure on this yet, there are a couple of details of implementing this that are throwing up red flags, so will see. If I'm good for time, I may add a retreat function for the player team.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
No idea if this has been answered before, but what are the planned consequences for use of lethal force?
Will excessive killing cause problems; like police coming after your group or some group member not liking that (or non-lethal) approach?
Or is lethal/non-lethal only for flavor?

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
No idea if this has been answered before, but what are the planned consequences for use of lethal force?
Will excessive killing cause problems; like police coming after your group or some group member not liking that (or non-lethal) approach?
Or is lethal/non-lethal only for flavor?

Me either, so here goes, though you have pretty much anticipated the answer!

At a very minimum, a lot of killing will result in a darker ending. The next addition, which is pretty likely, would be each ally having an attitude to killing. Some will be against it (Ray Case, Emilia DeSoto), others neutral (Arcadi Konstantin, Edgar Kowalski, Caia Winters), while others (Elena Furey) have a preference to kill. Forcing an ally out of their preferences will cause damage to your relationship. This would likely be most severe if you force them to do it, less severe if they witness someone else doing it, and less severe if you do it when they aren't around. Building on this, it's possible that certain characters may switch combat modes between turns, forcing you to keep an eye on them, and have to pass a check to switch them back.

The idea of the police coming after you if you start turning up more corpses than the gangs is less likely. I like the idea, so don't rule it out completely. Features like this will depend on development speed, level of support in early access and whether there are other features which offer more to the game in relation to the time it takes to implement. Hope this answers your question, if there's anything else, or if you have any suggestions, do let me know.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Meet Edgar Kowalski, a Reiker City fire fighter, a fire bug, and a schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder. Physically imposing and experienced with explosives, Kowalski brings an element of unpredictability to Sam's team. Here's Olga's illustration of him:

AsQI0Bf.jpg

On the development front, I've added 4 new levels, and shotguns now have a cone of fire (which proved quite a bit more tricky and time consuming than expected), and have started working on a number of perks which can be activated in combat. Will post a video of new shotgun mechanics soon. Comments very welcome!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wait, who in their right mind employs a fire fighter who is a schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom