Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Vigilantes Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    It's almost like a system based around a small group of people deciding what's worthy and what isn't will inevitably lead to decisions being made by the very personal and arbitrary criteria set by the aforementioned small group of people. Crazy, I know.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This is why I generally dislike curated systems, especially if politics and things start getting involved.

You may have to sift through a lot of shit on Steam, but at least it's the consumer that decides what is relevant.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Newsflash

Today, a person who's sick of turn based games, bought a turn based game so they could communicate to their two followers how sick of turn based games they are. More at 8...

[​IMG]

• Funny x 7
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Oh please, you got off easy. This guy clearly states that he has shit taste AND uses "le current year" meme unironically. Either one of these things is reason enough for a reasonable person to disregard him. You're not losing a single potential customer over this.

You should've seen the level of disingenuous bullshit levied against AoD at its release. Lots of negative reviews spewing demonstrably false information about the game. Unlike your bad review, the reviews I read stated things that SEEMED to have merit and could only be debunked with actual first hand knowledge of the game. IMO that slimy approach is MUCH more effective at (unfairly) trashing a game's reputation.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Agreed. Not posting because I'm worried. One of the members of the curator is the owner. I think it's funny.

Hadn't heard about that. That must have been incredibly frustrating for Iron Tower to deal with. It's an excellent game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    Well, Codexia had its own way of dealing with reviews like that.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • incline incline x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Since thesheeep was kind enough to gift me with a copy of Pathfinder, I'll pay it forward by buying a few copies of this and passing it on to people who hopefully will have the time to actually play it.

• Friendly x 11
    • Salute x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Thanks Haba! That's very good of you.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. orcinator Learned

orcinator
    The slavs make 10 vaguelly nuCom inspired tactics RPGs every month so I guess they're just having a hard time sifting through the muck.
    As am I since I watched the first few missions and am having a very hard time figuring out what sets this above other tactical shovelware like Fallen A2P protocol and Wasteland 2.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I've seen games that looked bad, shit, worse, terrible, atrocious, and then is vigilantes creating a new scoring in the scale.

Anyway, I hope at least the tactical design is good, I'll think about picking it up after seeing some gameplay videos.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Edgy x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Not really the type of game I am interested in but hope it does well since it doesn't look like stereotypical indie trash and looks like actual effort was put behind it :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Congratulations. And I hope this game does well as it is a good game.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ainamacar Educated

Ainamacar
    Prioritize as you deem best, of course. If some salutary interface changes don't make it into Vigilantes, I hope they'll inform interface design in a future game!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    This kind of developer and this kind of thread reminds me how actually friendly a place the Codex is. I love it.

:love:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 9
    ^ Top  
  15. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Cheers Roqua - going better than expected (7 years of game development will tend to push your expectations down)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Bastion Novice

Bastion
    Because GOG has been on the market since 2008 and you should know better how shitty their platform is.

^ Top  
  17. Sundevil96 Novice

Sundevil96
    Completed Operations window (botton right hand corner) you have to hold down mouse button and move upward to scroll down in the list.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Bought and downloading but I don't know if I should start a new game for now with so many still unfinished. Maybe waiting for a patch might be a good idea just to be sure. Even if this rpg seems to be one which isn't a bugfest on release as others recently...

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Cheers for the support Morkar! If you stick to the regular campaign, you should finish in the region of 15-20 hours. It won't take months to finish like a lot of RPGs. I'm having most problems on Mac, unfortunately. No bugs which are both serious and frequent reported so far, but there are a couple of smaller ones I'll look at soon.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ainamacar Educated

Ainamacar
    Finished the campaign at level 13. I'll try to throw together a concise Steam review sometime in the next few days. I'll note that I got nowhere near enough cash for all building upgrades, and even my best weapons were no more than half upgraded. Other than the boss fights, though, I was totally dominant for the last third of the game. I played on "Vigilante" difficulty, but in retrospect I wish I'd started on "Hard Boiled." Couldn't have known that beforehand, though.

Once you get to the point of being able to knock one boss around, you'll probably have the intel to do the other two in short order. It's almost a shame, I was really enjoying the ridiculous SMG the cultist leader drops. I know it would have been out of scope, but it would have been awesome if after taking out the first boss the game threw some kind of curveball showing the other factions' desperation. Events like joining forces, calling upon corrupt cops, or even hiring an on-call hit squad that sometimes shows up during regular missions.

I did notice that the sound for the fountain on the Mafia boss map is bugged. It always plays at full volume, even if sound effects are muted.

For games I've Kickstarted, chalk this one up under "no regrets." :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    It's strange since e.g. Depth of Extinction - which sounds comparable to me - is on gog. Gog sounds to me really randomly in choosing games...

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Sundevil96 Novice

Sundevil96
    So doing a raid, with rain and lightening and I attacked an enemy at the same time and lightening and now everything on the screen is white.

[​IMG]

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Its a weaker game that should've got some serious tweaking before release.

^ Top  
  24. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Level 13's pretty early. It's a hard one to call concerning difficulty. I agree on the bosses, they are in the same area in terms of toughness. Which encounter did you like the most? Yeah, I do see the merit to something like that to scale the difficulty at the end, but as you noted, it would have been another big push on scope. In some ways, in relation to team size, the scope of the game was already too big.

Noted, I'll look at that.

^ Top  
  25. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Did it look like the lighting might have increased and not turned down again? Did ending turn fix it? Was it once off, or does it happen each time you load the level?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)