Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Vince D. Weller Speaks Truth With RPGNuke

Zeriel

Arcane
I think he means $43,750 over the time they have been actively working on it is minimum wage (several years). $43,750/yr is quite good, at least entry level engineering degree pay.

hiver

Various jokes about a man in Ukraine winning a lottery, or Argentinian running naked across the city with shooting firecrackers in his hands suddenly appeared in my head.
also quips about hiring foreign help, outsourcing workforce and something about a sweat shop in some spooky tower :P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think he means $43,750 over the time they have been actively working on it is minimum wage (several years). $43,750/yr is quite good, at least entry level engineering degree pay.
Ah, get it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I meant a year. Since the sales/advertising industry is all I know, a sales rep gets 25-35k plus commission and bonuses, a sales manager 45-80k plus override, a director or regional manager 100-125 plus override, and so on. 44k is a good starting salary when you're young and don't need much, but it's not a lot for a grown man with 2 kids.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're going to sell more than 10k copies, VD. Not all at full price, of course.

Bundle up with the other retro RPGs that will come out next year and you'll get plenty of attention.

hiver

Well, its an entirely different story in other countries, especially those of other devs of the team.

Still, i expect 10 K to be reached in the first month. Almighty be willing. (and you know who he likes to help the most)

Leave bundless for later, i would say. Let the game breathe and live on its own for the first two months, deal with bugs and patches and customer support - then switch to bundles and some DLC and all that other stuff.

hiver

Not that kind of dlc. A small expansion, an addon, whatever. A new smaller city or some other interesting location. A new plot or a faction.
Point is getting the game in the spotlight again - at some opportune moment after the game has been out for several months.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not that kind of dlc. A small expansion, an addon, whatever. A new smaller city or some other interesting location. A new plot or a faction.
Point is getting the game in the spotlight again - at some opportune moment after the game has been out for several months.
Of course, I'm just teasing. I still prefer the oldschool "expansion pack" phrase. Although I assume it would take another 2 years to make that. :D

hiver

Thats why i didnt say expansion but something smaller that wouldnt take that much time.

... anyway, wheres that new demo? getting close? few days? few weeks?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Thursday, obviously.

I think I'll pass on the demo, I don't want to spoil more, than I already spoiled with the first demo. I want to play the game in its full glory.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
People talk a lot of shit about VD and AoD, but the simple fact is that the playable demo they put out brought more incline than a lot of RPG's in the past decade. That might be because the last decade brought us mostly shit in terms of RPG's, or because AoD truly has the potential to be something awesome... come Thursday we will invariably find out which.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
hiver, some time ago, Vince talked about a dungeon crawler, party based, still upon the AoD background.
Fast development, re-using assets and things like that.It could take only 6 months he said.Little price.Doable in 6 months approximatly
That kind of DLC I assume
Before ITS go for the next big project

Goegoff

Educated
What's the story with Shadowrun's boxed copy?

Just a little hyperbole on my part. I was disappointed in the SR boxed edition as it had no manual and was "small" and cheaply made. I am a collector of cRPGs (and other games) from days gone by. The new wave of KS games promising a return to those boxed days of yore has stirred my collecting bug once more. Nothing like unfolding a map and looking at a new world or flipping through a thick manual describing the adventure that awaits.
Indeed. I have the same appreciation of a good manual as you, so when we shopped around, we were looking for a high quality box, a map, 200-page spiral-bound manual with history, lore, concept art, and such. Something that people would enjoy reading and displaying.
Why not start a kickstarter for the boxed version on wednesday?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
If there is enough interest. Quality printing requires a large run. 500 copies min, 1,000 preferable.

i do of course respect your idea not to use KS and the reasons why, but you are developing a VERY niche game. Wouldn't KS be a way to understand how big this niche is, after all? It is your time and your money, so the choice is obviously yours, but your product is targeted at a not-so-big audience, therefore being quite a risky gamble. Maybe having other people share the risk of this gamble could turn out useful if the end result isn't what expected.

After all, 20/50 bucks for an individual is nothing, and if things don't go well, at least you didn't lose a lot of money.

I mean, sure it's upselling and hype, but in the end, if it turns out to be a game "that nobody wants to buy", what do you plan to do? give up making games, or try again?

Because if you plan to only give it one shot, and give up if it doesn't sell, then not using KS makes little sense really. Just my opinion ofc. (And if it does sell, then yay! I sure plan to buy this, and i would also throw a 25 or 50 for a KS)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
idonthavetimeforthiscrap This really isn't a good time for an RPG Kickstarter. Vault Dweller's marketing efforts are best spent elsewhere.

His game will soon be available for pre-order on Steam. That's more and easier money than any Kickstarter. His focus should be on promoting awareness of that.

The "measure the size of the market" argument isn't even applicable since that's something you do BEFORE you begin production of a game.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
The "measure the size of the market" argument isn't even applicable since that's something you do BEFORE you begin production of a game.

DID he do it? Or (as i understood it) did he just decide that he wanted to make a RPG?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I've always wanted to make an RPG. I don't care about the market. If it's there, great. If it's not there, well, I go back to managing sales, thinking fondly about the time I worked on the game full time.

Rake

Arcane

DID he do it? Or (as i understood it) did he just decide that he wanted to make a RPG?
As i understood it, the second. He just desided to make an RPG as he wanted it to be, and if there is a market for it all is good, if not there is no point to continue making games he don't like just to sell more copies.
But i could be wrong.

EDIT: Ninja'ed

hiver

Me too. Best way to go about it in short term is to tell us wheres the bloody new demo at.

:P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom