Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Virginia, by Variable State - An adventure game for deaf people

---

Arcane
Virginia is a thriller set in 1992, inspired by Fargo, Twin Peaks, True Detective and X-Files.
The protagonists are two FBI agents, Anne Traver and Maria Halperin, who must investigate about the disappearance of a boy,
in the small and fictional town of Kingdom, Virginia.

The particularity of the game is that the characters don't speak, but instead they gesticulate.
Visually, the source of inspiration seems to be Firewatch.
The game will be released for PC, PS4 and Xbox One on 22/09/2016, and a demo is already available on Steam.

Here's the trailer:

And here's a gameplay of the demo:

Last edited:

---

Arcane
The music of the trailer is really good.

I'm definitively interested.
Probably a:d1p:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tried the demo, looks artsy enough. Might buy for $5 later down the road because HOLY FUCK THERE'S A BUFFALO IN MY ROOM some of the visuals looked interesting. They should ditch letterboxing, though. I don't care how cinematic you're trying to make your game seem that shit just distracts me from playing the damn thing when it's up there all the time.

Gambler

Augur
The visuals look good (including art style and animation), the music sounds good too, there is definitely some intrigue... But I don't see why the game wouldn't have normal dialogs, at least in text. Seems like an arbitrary and rather silly limitation that simply spoils the fun.

I guess a valid reason to not have any dialog is to create a game that is entirely self-paced. Dialog either imposes a strict limitation on pacing, or requires a weird convention, used by most RPGs and adventures these days where speaking pauses everything else.

Another valid reason is to emphasize natural sounds and visuals. Speech and text do detract from those things... But the problem is, real life does have speech. So it's a bit like making a game where you see everything in infrared. Clever, but meaningless at the same time.

One thing you loose with text and dialog is a strong presence of the main character(s), their thoughts, their "mental filter" through which everything passes. Which is one of my favorite things about adventure games. Which is why I'm not a huge fan of Myst-like games.

Also, this game doesn't look particularly interactive. Everything I've seen in the demo play-through was simple and linear actions.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Our national newspapers are absolutely enchanted with this game and have many great things to say about it, which means it has shitty gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom