Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I genuinely enjoyed Chaos;Child so much that it's become a bit of a reference point for me when it comes to VNs. Do the Codexers of this thread have recommendations of similar taste?

Virtue's Last Reward (second installment on Zero Escape series after 999) hit me hard, in a time when I haven't had played many VNs. It hit me harder than Chaos;Child, but maybe you should play Head too (I played Head first and Child later).

Also if you like what you saw in Child, get Steins;Gate if you haven't. Very different beast but also very fulfilling I guess. Steins;Gate is so far the only VN I would rate 10/10. Steins;Gate 0 I would give 9/10.

I played C;C after I was done with S;G and S;G 0 (both of which I enjoyed greatly, but C;C more than both). I enjoyed the tragic aspects of C;C, it's a much darker story overall and I like it for that reason. I'll check Virtue's Last Reward out for sure.

Any recommendations on how to play Chaos;Head? I don't think there is an official translation -- are there unofficial ones, and are they any good?

Duraframe300

Arcane
I genuinely enjoyed Chaos;Child so much that it's become a bit of a reference point for me when it comes to VNs. Do the Codexers of this thread have recommendations of similar taste?

Virtue's Last Reward (second installment on Zero Escape series after 999) hit me hard, in a time when I haven't had played many VNs. It hit me harder than Chaos;Child, but maybe you should play Head too (I played Head first and Child later).

Also if you like what you saw in Child, get Steins;Gate if you haven't. Very different beast but also very fulfilling I guess. Steins;Gate is so far the only VN I would rate 10/10. Steins;Gate 0 I would give 9/10.

I played C;C after I was done with S;G and S;G 0 (both of which I enjoyed greatly, but C;C more than both). I enjoyed the tragic aspects of C;C, it's a much darker story overall and I like it for that reason. I'll check Virtue's Last Reward out for sure.

Any recommendations on how to play Chaos;Head? I don't think there is an official translation -- are there unofficial ones, and are they any good?

There is one. It's so-so. There is also a remake of chaos; head called chaos; head noah with additional stuff.

If you can wait commitee of zero is working on a translation/PC Port for Chaos; Head Noah

http://sonome.dareno.me/2016/11/21/chaoshead-noah-looking-for-translators.html

Lord knows, when that's released of course.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official Twitter tweets in English:

Reminds me of 428 Shibuya. (Costumes have somewhat more animu-ish feel though.)

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
This is supposedly very good. Some prominent VN names like Ryukishi07 and Nasu praises Raging Loop as very good VN/

supposedly. If this is very good I really dont want to play bad vns. I dont play a lot of them so I dont have a real measurement how this fares against other vns and I also did not finish it right now I am still at it so what I say may be disregarded. Story starts simple, you end up in a village and a holy ritual starts, it boils down to one side wants to kill everyone (wolves) the other side (humans) wants to hang the wolves. Nobody knows who the wolves are so to find out without to much mayhem the village god gave them some clear rules to abide by, using these rules they gather up in a shack once a day and vote on who to hang that day. One of the rules is they may only hang one per day and the evil wolfies may only kill one person per night, if you break these rules (or others) the corruption will murder you. You cant leave the village, you dont know what teh fuck is going on and why.

at some points in the story you get to chose what to do but often choices are locked, to unlock them you have to gather keys which you mostly get by dying (which sets you back to the start and you retain all or some of the aquired memories). You can chose to jump to most scenes at any given time in the game via a scene chart. The game is very linear at least up to the point I am at because it takers a while to get the keys and even then they only unlock another route you play to get another key. Theres no gameplay at all apart from reading and switching routes.

Since this was described as very good I tried it and I have to say most of the characters are not very likeable they are just there, the story itself is interesting but feels far to dragged out especially the "court" scenes where everyone gathers to decide who to murder next and you have to read endless idiotic explanations about why this character may seem shady but you cant vote for him because that would upset the balance of the group and he had cornflakes in the mornign and that may be an omen or whatever. Its like out of a detective novel written by retarded people. Since you cant really influence anything anyways you are likely to just zone out of these scenes and any other scene that doesnt advance the story in any way. Of course there are also a shitton of rules at the start and probably a lot more you just dont know about to drag things out even more but I dont want to spoil to much because even with all its faults it seems to be a good story its just told in a really shitty way. Maybe weebs or japanese people are all special so they have to get every motivation of every character spelled out to them like its some shounen sword special attack but at least sword styles are cool.

If you like mystery / occult stuff like me give it a try because I think the ideas are interesting (everythign except making a stupid game out of it) but if you have a life and can only play games for about 1 or 2 hours a day or even less I wouldnt touch it since it often has no respect for your time and or intelligence. I would hope there are better VN out there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Aniplex, one of the major anime distributors in Japan, establishes a visual novel label, and will publish new novels from Liar-soft and Front Wing.

https://aniplex-exe.com/

EMtvkfKU4AAa8IV

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This is supposedly very good. Some prominent VN names like Ryukishi07 and Nasu praises Raging Loop as very good VN/

supposedly. If this is very good I really dont want to play bad vns. I dont play a lot of them so I dont have a real measurement how this fares against other vns and I also did not finish it right now I am still at it so what I say may be disregarded. Story starts simple, you end up in a village and a holy ritual starts, it boils down to one side wants to kill everyone (wolves) the other side (humans) wants to hang the wolves. Nobody knows who the wolves are so to find out without to much mayhem the village god gave them some clear rules to abide by, using these rules they gather up in a shack once a day and vote on who to hang that day. One of the rules is they may only hang one per day and the evil wolfies may only kill one person per night, if you break these rules (or others) the corruption will murder you. You cant leave the village, you dont know what teh fuck is going on and why.
That's called mafia.

at some points in the story you get to chose what to do but often choices are locked, to unlock them you have to gather keys which you mostly get by dying (which sets you back to the start and you retain all or some of the aquired memories).
That's copied from Higurashi. (and 7 doors)

Since this was described as very good I tried it and I have to say most of the characters are not very likeable they are just there,
It could be worse. Characters could be obnoxious.

the story itself is interesting but feels far to dragged out especially the "court" scenes where everyone gathers to decide who to murder next and you have to read endless idiotic explanations about why this character may seem shady but you cant vote for him because that would upset the balance of the group and he had cornflakes in the mornign and that may be an omen or whatever.
Copied from either phoenix wright, or from dangan rompa.

Its like out of a detective novel written by retarded people.
Japanese.

At least it has some thrill. Getting it free of charge wouldn't cause buyers remorse.

Cromwell

Arcane
Japanese.

nah I have seen better from them. I also finished it and it gets better by the end the problem for me still is the dragging and the courtscenes, it takes way to long to get to he good bits and then they get interrupted again. After finishing it you also get some extra stuff like extra scenes you can jump to and a few extra ministories that flesh out the whole. Cant comment on how good this stuff is since I didnt play it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Suspicious looking mystery adventure-ish thing, Return to Shironagasu Island:

ss_15285e01b9ef8b3e52bb4f425fb378d190658a69.600x338.jpg
ss_7b77edc9b6a3651505ae6b39be4c2c454224c93e.600x338.jpg

rogo-e.png

―I'm returning
To that sinister Shironagasu Island―

A mystery-adventure game set in the solitary "Shironagasu Island".
Become detective “Sen Ikeda” and explore the secrets of “Shironagasu Island” with your assistant “Neneko Izumozaki”.

ara.png

Receiving an invitation hidden in the millionaire's testament to the mysterious Shironagasu Island, "Sen Ikeda", a detective in New York, along with"Neneko Izumozaki", a girl with special abilities, together they headed to the island.
Encounter numerous mysterious murders.
Find out the hidden truth behind "Shironagasu Island".
Solve all the mysteries and escape from the cursed island!

sisu.png

kuri-e.png

kyara.png

kyara2-e.png

Also anium girls thing:

Silentstorm

Learned
Looking at some stuff on Steam, how good is Dies Irae?

Also, saw that one of my very first VN's actually has an official translation, Hoshizora No Memoria and...it's apparently plagued by a buggy release with an awful translation, i don't recall the fan translation release a few years back being anything bad, but the official translation was apparently awful enough that there is a Kickstarter to just release a better translation which is...wow, that must be one awful translation.

I recall it not being that bad, for those that like harem stuff, there is a ghost girl from what i recall and scenes that blatantly suggest two incestuous twin sisters, and...yeah, for that kind of story, i recall it being good but that may just be nostalgia talking, still, damn, if it wasn't for the apparently awful translation, i would have bought this already.

Alex

Arcane
I clicked this thread by mistake, but since I am here...

Suspicious looking mystery adventure-ish thing, Return to Shironagasu Island:
(..snip)
Steam said:
System

Click on various locations to find hidden clues. Occasionally the story can be progressed by examining certain locations not once, but multiple times.
(snip...)

I guess this is what passes for deep gameplay in visual novels?

Silentstorm

Learned
Anyways, anyone have any recommendations for VN's on the current sales?

After playing Highway Blossoms, i am looking for a yuri themed one.

Oh, and i enjoyed Highway Blossoms very much, it's basically trucker lesbian picking up a hitchhiker with dreams of finding a treasure after reading a published biography of a man stating he left behind gold in America, and them going on a journey through the roads of America and, despite going to the Grand Canyon, also visiting quite a few places i don't typically see in stories about America which was cool.

It's a kinetic novel though, but i found the story and characters to be enjoyable.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly DDLC is a good VN parody (it is made as medium to subvert most VN tropes after all) but I wonder what will the additional content be. DDLC hit hard due to the subversion and its plot twist. But both are already known by now right? Maybe making another plot twist or 4th wall breaking feature? Or maybe he will subvert the subversion by making normal VN? We will see

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Honestly DDLC is a good VN parody (it is made as medium to subvert most VN tropes after all) but I wonder what will the additional content be. DDLC hit hard due to the subversion and its plot twist. But both are already known by now right? Maybe making another plot twist or 4th wall breaking feature? Or maybe he will subvert the subversion by making normal VN? We will see

Survival mode where the game formats your drive if you get a bad ending.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nitroplus' Togainu no Chi gets official English release in February:

Steam version will be censored like other Nitroplus releases. And as usual JAST USA will release uncensored version on their own store, in case you're interested in gay scenes.

Also desudesu.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh is that confirmed to be Hollywood?

I just read that it will be llive-action which a lot of popular anime gets in Japan?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom