Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vlad the Impaler

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I just noticed a new game on Steam, a CYOA RPG with really nice visuals http://store.steampowered.com/app/295850/

About the Game
Vlad is a choose-your-own-adventure game with RPG elements where your decisions shape the outcome of your story. Each playthrough offers a different experience and immersive story.
Features
  • Three different classes to choose from.
  • A morality system that unlocks special classes based on your decisions
  • An engrossing, gritty art style that immerses you in the world of Vlad the Impaler.
  • Music by Kevin Riepl, composer for Gears of War and many other titles.
  • Over 50 different quests and illustrations.
Story
The scent of murder hangs in the air. It is the year 1452 and a city under siege is desperate. You receive a letter, bearing the king’s seal, begging for your help. A once beautiful, peaceful place is now a tormentor’s paradise; dark, bleak and heavy with fear.

You venture along the road to your destination, determined to solve the mystery terrorizing the citizens of Istanbul. Thousands of bodies line the roads, impaled on bloody poles, ravaged & torn, lying limp; faces contorted in anguish. If this is just the path to the city, what lies within its walls?

A gruesome scene welcomes you; hollow sockets live where eyes once saw their murderer coming for them. Torsos of young children ripped open, their bodies hung like criminals; blood filled pools in the Cistern house rotting bodies, throats cut, fingers missing. Dank Catacombs lined with broken bones containing new members, heads daggered, burn marks over eyes. Blood streaked Basilica walls, disembowelments and beheadings. The brutality is too much to bear. What – or who -is murdering the innocent lives of these people!? You hunt through the night, intent on finding your foe, bringing an end to the grisly massacre.

As the Explorer, you have knowledge of the land; you are fast, on target and adventurous. You leave no stone unturned in your pursuit. Will you be the enemy Spy or will you be the Emissary?

The Mage is skilled, wise and supernatural. Become the the high Priest who can be counted on to cast spells to protect the people of Istanbul or choose to be the Sorcerer and release your inner demon fueling your thirst for destruction.

The Soldier; fierce, strong, and none better with a blade. Protecting people is your Knightly duty, with your feminine intuition & compassionate heart leading you to do the right thing for the kingdom. But perhaps you would rather seek to unlock the dark side and become the Assassin. The choice is yours; will you seek justice or wickedness?

Each character unlocks unique levels and secret weapons. Feel the weight of your decisions and change the story of your game with each turn. Your actions will determine the future of your people, saving their souls or surrendering them to evil.

Anyone with money to waste wanna give it a try and share impressions.

ss_f77679b82ee562335ed1b1d1d9262e5849c84940.600x338.jpg

ss_4bea38d4070d306292b57cc9a6690b3b29c89bfc.600x338.jpg

ss_1e48660d74c4a77cb7dabf847bfd050108297f95.600x338.jpg

ss_549b59f0a30712800a8c473a6ea3b7e5c6dd21c3.600x338.jpg

Overboard

Arcane
The Soldier; fierce, strong, and none better with a blade. Protecting people is your Knightly duty, with your feminine intuition & compassionate heart leading you to do the right thing for the kingdom.

:hmmm:

Luzur

Good Sir
hardly a game true to historical fact, it seems, and since 1452 was the year Constantinopel fell, would there be time for a murder plot during a brutal siege?

Steam Review said:
Very limited choice, selecting a character seems to have no effect on story progression and if you go to the same area over and over in each playthrough you'll get the exact same story each time. really linear.
Don't know if that's really the case, but if it's true, for a CYOA game it's a big flaw. Though art is neat for an indie CYOA, I give them that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks pretty cool to me. I'll grab it next sale :cool:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't get with a game who calls the citizens of Istanbul innocent. Would love to play a game or watch a movie based on the historical Vlad the Impaler though. Wage war against the Ottomans, impale criminals and boyars, avoid the villainous plots of traitorous scum Matthias Corvinus. :incline:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This is thoroughly disappointing, I was hoping that at least you played the role of Vlad and got to impale people to your heart's desire.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Awaiting more feedback. I like the art style, if nothing else. Could be fun despite the butchery (hurr) it does of history. If there's an opportunity to support Tepes against the Ottomon invaders I will be happy.

Eh, it could be worse. The game could have been called ~Fabulous Radu's Adventures~, muslim gay romance simulation game, taking place in early Ottoman sultanate.

sbb

Learned
"Each playthrough offers a different experience and immersive story totalling two hours of content."

Well hot damn!

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay, I'll write about the game.

It's a text-based adventure with stats. The worst thing here - stats are not explained. You can't predict how they work, where are stats checks and what outcome you will have. And this makes the whole system meaningless.

The game offers you 15 turns before the final encounter (but you can die earlier failing one of the checks), one turn means you can choose one of offered events, for example you can go to the docks and wait till night to witness something suspicious. The outcome is you gain some stats or get a penalty for some stats. You can't predict it, and you can only remember the result of every event.

The music is great. The visuals are cool. But the game systems do not work.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Hm, it's on sale for 1,99€ and the art looks pretty cool, but the reviews are mediocre at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom