Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voidspire Tactics

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Do Mechanist abilities actually scale with anything, or are they all independent of player stats due to being "indirect"?
I assume the grenades scale with the corresponding elements just like spells.

I've tested them with the Sorcerer passives, and they don't seem to scale at all.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
I second the Dark Spyre recommendation. But I think that you can do even better. Stick to your vision, it's already great, Voidspire Tactics is an incredibly good first game. Just like with Styg and VD, I'm curious to see where you're headed.
(Personally, I think that Voidspire should be in the 2015 top 3 with Underrail and AOD, Witcher 3 being 4th).

Thanks, that's high praise! : )

I think the logic is....he works with machines so he must be good with electricity!

Exactly! Also, since electric spells activate the mechanisms, it helps him dabble in electric magic from other classes.

Do Mechanist abilities actually scale with anything, or are they all independent of player stats due to being "indirect"?

They don't scale with anything.

Eldiran, any chance of this seeing a GOG release? I know you have a DRM-free version on your website, but I prefer not to spread my creditcard info around if at all possible.

I actually tried to get it on GOG, but it was deemed too niche and low in production value. (Basically my game is too ugly to be on GOG.) I don't really blame them.

Fairfax

Arcane
Bought it due to the Codexian recommendations and I'm having a blast. I check this thread and learn that you made it with XNA on your own.
:bravo:

Ent

Savant
I actually tried to get it on GOG, but it was deemed too niche and low in production value. (Basically my game is too ugly to be on GOG.) I don't really blame them.

Really now? Thats a bloody shame.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Last edited by a moderator:

Fairfax

Arcane
That's really shitty of them.

Yet they have this turd, this ugly turd, even uglier turd, and many others...
???

First game has p. good art.
That's why I didn't call it an ugly turd. It has similar production values, the difference is that it sucks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What screws this game is probably using default RPG Maker assets for things. (Or at least very similar to, which probably throws it in the same bucket as the thousand shovelware titles GOG must get to audit every day)

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane

That's a shame, but sadly not that surprising considering how games like MADMAN and AntharioN haven't made their way to GOG either. Your user ratings are great, though, so hopefully they'll change their mind if your sales improve a bit.

That's why I didn't call it an ugly turd. It has similar production values, the difference is that it sucks.

GOG is, understandably to a degree, trying to find more mainstream success as the number of old games that will sell well declines. I'm guessing they're worried that the more niche games won't sell enough to sustain them and that getting a reputation as the place you go to for niche games would keep out the more mainstream gamers. I'd say they're wrong and that there's a staggering amount of money to be made there if you know how to present yourself, but then I don't work at GOG.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think what they don't want is to be inundated in indie shovelware like steam is, since they only have a fraction of the userbase.

They probably get way too many submissions in a single day to possibly audit them in detail to see if there's a good game under the programmer art.

Lucky

Arcane
That's also a factor, yes. It's hard to get reliable sales from indies because of how bad the majority is and how much effort it can take to find one of the gems, plus they can't switch over to a Greenlight equivalent. It also doesn't help that the wishlist system they have in place to help with this is a clusterfuck.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
I think what they don't want is to be inundated in indie shovelware like steam is, since they only have a fraction of the userbase.

They probably get way too many submissions in a single day to possibly audit them in detail to see if there's a good game under the programmer art.

Yeah, exactly. I don't hold it against them at all. My game looks like RPGMaker even though it uses no RPGMaker assets.

VT has a wishlist entry by the way:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/voidspire_tactics

Yoogely popular!

: D

On a completely unrelated note, VT is not the first game from Eldiran. First one is Depths of Boatmurdered, free horror game using the same engine as VT. It's not rpg though.

Yep! I actually made Depths of Boatmurdered specifically to test the Voidspire Tactics engine. It's pretty short, but people seemed to like it.

mushaden

Scholar
Does this game ever get a quest log? I just started it and it's very fun, but I'm worried that the same thing that happens to me with all jrpgs will happen: I get near the end, I put the game down, and suddenly when I pick it up I'm left with an airship and a world map and no idea where to go.

V_K

Arcane
I get near the end, I put the game down, and suddenly when I pick it up I'm left with an airship and a world map and no idea where to go.
Don't worry about that, there are like 4 quests in the game (and that's stretching it), the world isn't very large and since the enemies don't respawn for the most part, it's fairly easy to tell where you've been already and where you haven't.

mushaden

Scholar
Can someone tell me what to do after I get the 4 aer stones for the airship? The mechanic lady said something about destroying cannons in the south? I looked at LP videos and they spoiled that underground area (you dig to get to) with the boss spider, but I'm still not sure where to go. Please don't tell me I have to collect pieces of wood to make the bridge in that area...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Take the southwest-most exit from the big main area, there's a big robotic thing there - that's the first cannon. Then keep heading west.

ColCol

Arcane
Reviving because this game needs more love and attention. Also, for the developer, what is the status of your next game?

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks, it's goin' alright! I'm learning a lot about procedural level design vs. standard level design. It's making me appreciate standard more, but the procedural stuff is also starting to get decently compelling. The aesthetic is coming together too. At this point I'm having fun making all kinds of flora and fauna.

On my twitter I showed off some improvements to dialog:
RaNzikH.gif

And a gif of some special effects capability:
SD7wB13.gif
Also, I'm working on a little patch for Voidspire Tactics to fix a few issues and improve some stuff. It should hit next week. If any of you have run into small issues, let me know and maybe I can fix 'em for this next patch.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
What, you don't like the way FFT did it? : P

Don't worry, these are heavily exaggerated for demonstration. You can also press any button to make them complete the sentence immediately, or change the speed in the settings.

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, I have a huge gripe with the way JRPGs handle dialogs, especially in cutscenes - I'm a bit of a speedreader and get extremely annoyed if I have to slow down or, god forbid, stop midsentence. Thing is, I don't think this kind of flow control adds anything to the experience - it's no substitute for voice acting (and voice acting itself is a questionable value to begin with). For me it's always better to display the whole response text at once and let the player control the flow.
You can also press any button to make them complete the sentence immediately
This is problematic as well, as it means that going through the dialog takes at least twice as much clicks/keypresses than it should.
change the speed in the settings
Now this is good, thank you!
I just hope that there'll be a setting that allows to display the whole response instanteneously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom