Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware VR: Finally worth it?

If you had $1000, what would you buy?

• VR headset and accessories

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • ultra-wide gaming monitor

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • another piece of hardware (comment below)

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • an hour with two sluts (kingcomrade)

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
VR is nice and dandy and all, but I have way more hopes for Augmented Reality. I mean, imagine playing lasertag, but with an actual HUD, special weapons, Jungle/Space/Dungeon environments instead of generic blacklight cardboard, coop PvE, CtF mode,... It could create an eSport where the 'sport' part is actually justified.

Dexter

Arcane
Why is it that when people record the VR version of something, it looks mostly like a regular game, but when you actually use it for real, the entire thing is distorted, ghosty, and doubled?
In what way do you mean? Is it this?
OculusMirror1.jpg

OculusMirror_Distorted.jpg

It's usually just a Screen Mirroring of your left or right eye without the barrel distortion added: https://skarredghost.com/2017/05/25/use-oculus-mirror-make-virtual-reality-gameplay-videos/

You need two renders in VR since you have to see a scene from the perspective of your left and right eye and the barrel distortion is added to correct for the optical distortion caused by the lenses. It doesn't actually "look" like the 2nd image if you put it on, you can just see and look around normally in 3D.

Don't worry, no one will judge you for wasting vast amounts of money on a fad that will be forgotten soon. Its what we do here, being an RPG site.

No need to rationalise your shitty purchasing decisions by pretending it's The New Shit™ or The Next Best Thing™ or All The Cool Kids Buy Ridiculous Goggles And Shit Nowadays™.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, the sheer amount of pent-up butthurt of some people enjoying things you either can't afford and haven't ever tried and doing so over and over again pretending you have the slightest idea what you are talking about is amazing. :lol:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In what way do you mean? Is it this?
OculusMirror1.jpg

OculusMirror_Distorted.jpg

It's usually just a Screen Mirroring of your left or right eye without the barrel distortion added: https://skarredghost.com/2017/05/25/use-oculus-mirror-make-virtual-reality-gameplay-videos/

You need two renders in VR since you have to see a scene from the perspective of your left and right eye and the barrel distortion is added to correct for the optical distortion caused by the lenses. It doesn't actually "look" like the 2nd image if you put it on, you can just see and look around normally in 3D.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, the sheer amount of pent-up butthurt of some people enjoying things you either can't afford and haven't ever tried and doing so over and over again pretending you have the slightest idea what you are talking about is amazing.
Nice try fagget.

I explicitly said, no one is judging you for wasting your money on crap.

It's you trying to rationalise it, or pretend that it's anything other than a gimmick, that's funny.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
VR is nice and dandy and all, but I have way more hopes for Augmented Reality. I mean, imagine playing lasertag, but with an actual HUD, special weapons, Jungle/Space/Dungeon environments instead of generic blacklight cardboard, coop PvE, CtF mode,... It could create an eSport where the 'sport' part is actually justified.

Imagine buying one blank, physical, book, then just projecting words on its pages using "ebooks" stored in your VR glasses so you can have digital books, but still the tactile experience of turning pages. I don't think people have even begun to think of all the crazy shit we could do with AR: painting art on the moon, digital plastic surgery, redecorating your house for free, having Windows 12's interface be designed to be a physical space that you place at various points around your house. The coolest thing about VR for me, actually, is just being able to pull up my normal old Windows desktop 10 feet tall in front of me and browse my music collection. So doing shit like that in AR will be awesome.

Humans can't handle technology so like all technology it will turn to shit and become awful, but it will be awful in entirely new ways we've never experienced before.

Dexter

Arcane
That's not how AR works or will work any time soon in the foreseeable future (10+ years), you can't display "environments" in any credibility with it and all the current iterations have a really small Field of View ~35-40° (and it's not a trivial problem to solve) while VR HMDs have ~100-110° FoV already and will only improve fast:
fov.png

You couldn't see any "environments" since they'd end up being only ~30°'s making it look like you're holding a mobile phone at a half arms length from your head. Your best bet for "playing lasertag" with weapons and environments would still be VR and there are some installations where they installed trackers across an entire room and there's walls and shit you can touch and you could still embed real-life elements via front-facing cameras or similar: https://www.thevoid.com/

Ocelot

Learned
VR is viable and it will be more popular once more powerful graphics cards hit the market at reasonable prices. It will never replace monitors because it's a fundamentally different experience but it also won't die out like 90s VR.

If I had the choice, I'd choose a 1000$ ultra-wide monitor because VR isn't my thing.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
VR is viable and it will be more popular once more powerful graphics cards hit the market at reasonable prices. It will never replace monitors because it's a fundamentally different experience but it also won't die out like 90s VR.

If I had the choice, I'd choose a 1000$ ultra-wide monitor because VR isn't my thing.

The monitor will last longer too. I've had monitors for a decade. VR will likely come out with something significantly better in 3-4 years.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Why is it that when people record the VR version of something, it looks mostly like a regular game, but when you actually use it for real, the entire thing is distorted, ghosty, and doubled?

Because you have for "innovator" an anime obsessed brony kid , and supporting him a money guzzling reptilian Gabe Newell who say the US military has outdated hardware with its multi element lenses and microdisplays , here take this single element lens with rebadged mobile phone displays instead it won't blur (too much).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

And that's just fine. Not everyone has to like VR. But I'd definitely give it a try if you haven't done it before. I've got an Oculus and a 1080, so I've got a pretty good VR experience, despite not having too much room for movement (seated position is fine for most games).

Jigawatt

Arcane

16 years ahead of you: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...on_ARQuake/links/0c9605315067415dc6000000.pdf

ZEfie3F.png
KJE7pp3.png
dtDtwB1.png

Windows 12's interface be designed to be a physical space that you place at various points around your house

btw this is exactly how the Hololens version of Win10 already works.

Egosphere

Arcane
VR is just for first person games. And I can't fucking stand that trend of turning over proud, long standing vidya game series into fps. Throw in the fact that you will never be able to play a vr game as quickly as you can a 'screen' game, ( my stomach twists just thinking of Quake III in VR ), and its widespread adoption will usher in a never-ending shitfest of walking sims with gimmick-ridden gameplay. Thanks but no thanks. I hope VR dies off soon. If not, then you can kiss goodbye to any glimmer of incline that still occasionally shines through.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Someone I know has recently been advocating VR. I had assumed this fad would burn out due to lack of software. I've been leaning towards an ultra-wide monitor instead.

What does the Codex think? Does VR have any killer apps?

Well if you like gimmicky shit than go for it.
Here's a nice review (keep in minding this guy likes gimmicks a lot):

My opinion is that VR will always only be suited for this type of games. I can't see games that require a lot of precision like competitive shooters, platformers and RPG's being played like this unless we created the Matrix (but that's already too advanced for our time).

Anyway again if have 1000$ you don't mind wasting and are curious/attracted about this idea then go for it.
I would waste then on a better Desktop or even a 4k screen (you can get good ones for like 500$).

Raapys

Arcane
I was hoping VR would be usable with KB/mouse and thus for any type of game. The people who have actually tried it claim it's not though, that you do in fact need those stupid hand gadgets. Then again, some people also claim you need joysticks for flight sims.

Gerrard

Arcane
I would just upgrade my PC. Probably go for good cooling/energy efficient shit because fuck summer.

Dexter

Arcane
VR will likely come out with something significantly better in 3-4 years.
1-2 years more likely for Gen2.

VR is just for first person games.
This is not true at all, there are various Third Person and even Top-Down Strategy games that work perfectly fine.

Throw in the fact that you will never be able to play a vr game as quickly as you can a 'screen'
This is mostly true, although not necessarily because it's impossible, but because a loud minority of people are constantly pushing for "comfort features" so they don't get sick, and for some reason there's this kind of "developer response":

There's still Multiplayer games like Pavlov VR, Onward that are close to Counter Strike or stuff like Echo Combat where you can fly around and shoot stuff. Other games that have been Modded like Doom 3 or even Quake 2 are also perfectly playable. But yeah I doubt you'll see Tribes 2, Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament any time soon. On the other hand you're not going to get them anyway even on PC with consoles and "Battle Royale" games dominating the market.

If not, then you can kiss goodbye to any glimmer of incline that still occasionally shines through.
There's a lot more innovation in VR at the moment than on any other platform (I'd possibly make an exception for Indie games on Steam, but they're impossible to overview). In parts it feels like 90s PC gaming with people trying different stuff and coming up with some new concepts or reviving old ones to try them in VR while the wider gaming industry kind of seems stuck in a rut and just focusing on developing and releasing that rebranded Open-World game or fad Multiplayer game. On the other hand there aren't really any big huge AAA Blockbusters in VR other than ports since the market isn't large enough to support them.

Anyway again if have 1000$ you don't mind wasting and are curious/attracted about this idea then go for it.
Oculus Bundle with all the "Accessories" was just 350 $/€ during Amazon Prime Day, some of the Mixed Reality HMDs are even under $200 lately: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/h...headset-with-motion-controllers/8n5g0j1qf74b/ and are workable although I'd go with one of the big two. If you already have a gaming PC with a proper graphics card (which is the majority of the spending on a VR rig) it's really not that expensive to also buy into VR.

I was hoping VR would be usable with KB/mouse and thus for any type of game. The people who have actually tried it claim it's not though, that you do in fact need those stupid hand gadgets. Then again, some people also claim you need joysticks for flight sims.
Most games during the Development Kit 1/2 phase were Mouse+Keyboard, you could play stuff like Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2 etc. and there were even some games designed with VR in mind like Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe that required a Mouse. But as someone who's used it let me tell you that fumbling around in the dark while you have your VR HMD on to find the table/keyboard/mouse and then being stuck sitting down/anchored to one spot while moving your head to look around instead of the mouse and pressing keys when not playing Racing/Flight games where you're also stuck sitting in a cockpit really doesn't fit VR and you'll quickly feel limited and like you want to be unchained from that position and to interact with the world closer or more direct. You could theoretically play with KB&M but even a Wireless XBone Controller that you can hold in your hands and move/turn around a bit with, which is more self-explanatory and intuitive was a major upgrade early on (first year of Oculus Rift) and some of the releases during that time like "Edge of Nowhere" seem almost antique now after the VR Controllers are out. Those "stupid hand gadgets" are really great though, since you can use them to directly interact/aim/shoot etc. at stuff without any abstraction layer of having to point the mouse and they become second nature really quick e.g. you're in the world and are using your arms or gadgets to do stuff or point at stuff. The Oculus Touch controllers are the best so far, but Steam will release their Knuckles at some point soon:

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Always great to hear people who obviously never tried and know nothing about something telling everyone else what that something is "like" while pretending to have any knowledge about either of these things.

Anyway, there were various threads about this with serious answers:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/enlighten-me-about-vr-gear-bros.120936/

VR was worth it since it got out of the "Development Kit" stage, there's plenty to play (likely not going to catch up with everything if you're prone to large Backlogs with normal games) although there's no huge time-waster MMO/Open World or Online game that you'll probably play for hundreds of hours, but at this point it's probably worth it to just wait for Gen2 some time in 2019/20 for a better/more streamlined overall experience, improved tech/resolution and the new controllers.

As to what's "worth it", I personally don't really like the "ultra-wide" 21:9 gaming monitors and prefer gaming a on large 4K TV. Depending on what you already use it might not be much of an improvement. VR is an entirely new experience and a huge step up in immersiveness.

Don't worry, no one will judge you for wasting vast amounts of money on a fad that will be forgotten soon. Its what we do here, being an RPG site.

No need to rationalise your shitty purchasing decisions by pretending it's The New Shit™ or The Next Best Thing™ or All The Cool Kids Buy Ridiculous Goggles And Shit Nowadays™.
It is really enjoyable to watch Dexter's endless butthurt. I haven't seen a saddest retard in a long long time. How fucked up you life must be for you to want to spend it with a sweaty plastic box on your head.

Only good thing about VR is being used by invalids who can't live the bed and enjoy the real world.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only good thing about VR is being used by invalids
Should be perfect for you then, cause I'm sure any competent doctor would officially declare you to be mentally retarded. ;)
Ohhh my beloved dexter,every time you give me a "negative" rating it gives me a wide smile. Just the though of your bleeding butthurt asshole and your drooling face is enough to brighten my day. I do sometime imagine you sitting on your toilet throne in front of the monitor,spit flying all around,your drone delivered taco all over the keyboard,your face all red and your meatballs of a fingers smashing that tacos of a keyboard. Ahhhh pure joy.

Dexter

Arcane
every time you give me a "negative" rating it gives me a wide smile
Just the though of your bleeding butthurt asshole and your drooling face
I do sometime imagine you sitting on your toilet throne
Ahhhh pure joy.
Happy to be in your thoughts, but I'm sorry to say the feelings aren't mutual. I can't say that you sitting on the toilet or your "bleeding butthurt asshole" are part of my imagination or thought process at all and I'll have to unfortunately decline your advances. I hope you understand.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
VR is good for a lot of shit, but not games. Don't need nor like being "put there", my brain works just fine thankyouverymuch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom