Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vtm Bloodlines for the first time

covr

Prophet
Patron
My friend want to play Vtm Bloodlines and asked me to help him with mods/unofficial patches. I have never liked this game (in b4 ban covr), so I'm asking you: which version of the game is the best for a first playthrough?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Wesp's patch is the one you need. All bugfix, no content, no drama.

Unless I'm wrong in which case Tessera's patch is the one you want. I forget which one was the one with drama.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think Wesp's patch is the one you need. All bugfix, no content, no drama.

Unless I'm wrong in which case Tessera's patch is the one you want. I forget which one was the one with drama.

WESP is the drama-free version, made with real unicorn cum, hand-milked with care and attention.

Tessera's is, well, Tessera's.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I propose that, instead of banning covr, we force him/her/it/kin/xir/yir/xyr to relinquish his/her/its/xirs/xers/yirs/bubblybubblys account, of which he is admittedly unworthy of, to his friend who apparently got at least some degree of decency when it comes to choosing RPGs.

laclongquan

Arcane
No no, Tessera's patch is the one with no additional content (unless you count nude bodies extras but that stand separate). That's why he stopped waaaaaay earlier, around v4. Nothing left to fix.

Wesp's mod is the content restoration mod. He restored cut content, fill out what's not, and in so doing introduce fuckload of bugs. THAT is why he cant stop fixing. His patches, now v9~, are just fixing what he mess up.

Now, if you want extra, people swear by Wesp's. But if you want something vanilla, played-as-dev-designed, then choose Tessera. Seriously, you just never know what Wesp changed in his basic patch.

How can anyone not like VtM:B :rpgcodex:
I wasn't into all that goth vamp World of Everythingisshit before I played it, either. Sure, the characters and narrative insta-grew on me and made the game a treat, but I can see why someone would be reluctant to try.

IF you are playing VTMB for the first time, choose Malkavian. Everyone should get a VTMB deflower by Malkvian. IT set the proper mindset for RPG connoiseurs.
No, man. The first time is exactly one that shouldn't be played as a Malkavian, because one wouldn't get half the references in his/her dialogues and the other clans would seem sorta bland after it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Because the game crashes? Because loading times are ridiculous? Because running the game is already a feat?
Because several paths means searching for the ones that are correctly implemented?
Because combat is boring?

I actually enjoyed the game a lot, and it must be infinitely better now that patchers have finished the game (and almost everything I say should surely be put to the past), but it sure was a painful experiment for me.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I simply don't like games about vampires - it's just silly. What are you, fucking seven? Stupid goth-vampires, drinking blood and turning into bats, it makes no sense. Also, I couldn't skip that ugly intro and game was crashing constantly. What's more, performance on my Permedia 2 was irritating.

Andnjord

Arcane
Because the game crashes? Because loading times are ridiculous? Because running the game is already a feat?
Because several paths means searching for the ones that are correctly implemented?

I actually enjoyed the game a lot, and it must be infinitely better now that patchers have finished the game (and almost everything I say should surely be put to the past), but it sure was a painful experiment for me.

Modern patches have fixed all of those problems (except for combat, that stuff is hard coded in its borkness :negative:)

I simply don't like games about vampires - it's just silly. What are you, fucking seven? Stupid goth-vampires, drinking blood and turning into bats, it makes no sense.

You are posting in rpg Codex, a forum dedicated to a genre filled to the brim with Elves, orcs and post apocalyptic wastelands and you're complaining about Vampires being silly?:rpgcodex:

Also the game is not dedicated to their gothiness and bat turningness but to the inner politics of a bunch of power hungry cunts living in secretive societies.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Modern patches have fixed all of those problems (except for combat, that stuff is hard coded in its borkness :negative:)
Still better than F3 combat.

Jason Liang

Arcane
You can only install one mod so you just need to choose one.

Nearly every mod is built on top of some version of Wesp's unofficial patch so Wesp's patch really doesn't offer anything extra.

I would say Clan Quest mod offers the best game experience. Clan Quest comes with several other optional mods including a restricted version of the Companion mod. Aside from Wesp's patch the most important mod is the Companion mod (what's the point of playing a vampire if you can't make other vampires?). So Clan Quest or Companion mod offers the best experience. The Companion mod restores an essential function of being a vampire (being able to embrace) so its the best.

Camarilla Edition is basically a rebalance mod that adds blood timer etc. This is the best mod if you do not care about embracing. Final Nights is built on top of Camarilla Edition but allows you to choose different clans; this mod is if you want to play a clan outside of the Camarilla.

I would not recommend antitribu mod; it is still work in progress and not well balanced.

Anyway, I would rate the major mods this way:

1) Companion mod (best, but slightly unbalanced)
2) Clan Quest mod with Companion lite (customizable and better balanced than either Companion or Wesp)
3) Camarilla Edition mod (most balanced, but not as fun as the other two. This is the best version of Bloodlines if you don't care about embracing companions)
4) Clan Quest mod without Companion lite
5) Wesp's Unoffical patch (vanilla)
6) Final Nights mod (if you want to play Assamite, Settite, Baali, Samedi, Osebo or Ishtarri clan instead)

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
To be less edgy, I'm not blaming you for not liking the game, unpatched it is quite a buggy mess and the combat is pretty terrible (at least it is mercifully fast, none of that F3 bullet sponginess) but it is known as the best atmosperefag game for very good reasons.

Astral Rag

Arcane
hardcores2ot7.png

much hardcore wow

ArchAngel

Arcane
He is so hardcore that even when he came to RPGwatch to market himself he got booed off :D

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

I just wanna say that, quite surprisingly, I never really had any issues running the game, even un-patched, and I am known to be a bug-magnet.

Other than that, you're obviously free to dislike the game, as long as you stay away from the Codex. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom