Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VTMB first time patch/mod recommendations

Go in blind w/ Malk Y/N?

• Total voters

hello friend

Arcane
As the title. Bought it, gonna play it. Currently downloading the unofficial patch (9.4). Is the game broken without mods or would you recommend vanilla?

+ I like to graphics whore it up every now and then. Any suggestions on shaders/texture packs/whatevs or do they change the atmosphere too much?

Merry Christmas everyone.

bloodlover

Arcane
Yeah the unofficial patch is the only thing you need. There are some mods that change the classes a bit but I've never used them since the default ones are just fine. Graphics are not that bad so I didn't even bother looking for ways to improve them.

pippin

The game works fine as it is with its last official patch, no game breaking bugs or stuff like that. I suppose you could use Wesp's patch if you really want it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've never understood people who made threads like this. Just play the damn game, FFS. Play it without any patches, without looking at forums and asking people. You won't forget the first time you've played Bloodlines, believe me. The game will either capture your heart, or you will hate it forever.

Graphics are not that bad so I didn't even bother looking for ways to improve them.

Yeah, just force at least 4xMSAA and 16xAF in graphics card panel and you're set, game looks good enough. I also never really got into any mods. Vanilla game with Wesp's patch is just fine to me. Definitely my most replayed game ever.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vanilla Bloodlines is fine for the most part, but there are a few bugs that can be really frustrating so I'd just recommend using Wesp's basic patch. The Malk vs no Malk question is retarded, just play whatever you want as long as it's not a Nosferatu. If you like Bloodlines you'll probably end up playing through it multiple times anyway.

bloodlover

Arcane
I've never understood people who made threads like this. Just play the damn game, FFS. Play it without any patches, without looking at forums and asking people. You won't forget the first time you've played Bloodlines, believe me. The game will either capture your heart, or you will hate it forever.

So you'd play some unpatched notorious buggy games just not ask on a dedicated forum? Why would you even consider that? Since you play unpatched, might as well go full retro on low res with a CRT monitor and a shitty PC. :smug:

Old One

Arcane
For your first character, do the quiz method of generation (you define your character by answering questions about his personality) and just play with whatever you get.

laclongquan

Arcane
Let me put it this way.

Tessera True Patch is fixing bugs only. As such, he stopped updating it years ago because all the bugs are fixed already and his work doesnt introduce new ones.

Wesp's Unofficial Patch should be named as Unofficial Mod, because it change a lot, and so even when it fix bug, it introduce bugs of its own. As such his UP still get updated even today.

If you want a vanilla game, as close to developers intend, then Tessera's TP is a recommendation, no if when or but. Not the basic version of Wesp's UP because face it, the fact that he still fix bug to this day mean it's not 100% clean.

If you want a modded game, then UP is very popular among certain group of players.

As such, your first run should be a TP run. After completion, you can try UP.

Oh, and a gameplay recommendation: Try Malkavian 1st run. There's only two group of players, the one who break Bloodline virginity with a Malkavian 1st run, and everyone else.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
wesp unofficial patch basic
Malkavian for the first-time run. Don't listen the denouncers that didn't do it.
don't listen to this nigger

Never go Malkavian for the first run. Install the Final Nights mod and try out the Assamite. They're awesome. Also don't neglect your combat skills. You'll need them, trust me.

Above all - have fun. It's a great game and worth playing a couple of times.

bloodlover

Arcane
I played the game with Wesp's UP and did not encounter a single bug... I don't know how the game was in its original state but when I played it a few years ago it wasn't bad at all. I am against Malch or modded first runs since they change the game experience a lot. And like someone mentioned before, it's one of those games that if you like, you will play it again.

pippin

Don't do Malkavian on your first run. It spoils everything in the story.

Rosa, the girl you meet in the beach, also spoils it, but you don't know if you're not a Malk; she is one.

I did the quiz and played as a Tremere, that wasn't so bad and the Camarilla ending is good.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let me put it this way.

Tessera True Patch is fixing bugs only. As such, he stopped updating it years ago because all the bugs are fixed already and his work doesnt introduce new ones.

Wesp's Unofficial Patch should be named as Unofficial Mod, because it change a lot, and so even when it fix bug, it introduce bugs of its own. As such his UP still get updated even today.

If you want a vanilla game, as close to developers intend, then Tessera's TP is a recommendation, no if when or but. Not the basic version of Wesp's UP because face it, the fact that he still fix bug to this day mean it's not 100% clean.

If you want a modded game, then UP is very popular among certain group of players.

As such, your first run should be a TP run. After completion, you can try UP.
Tessera is a raging faggot and his patch doesn't fix several bugs that wesp's does.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

So you'd play some unpatched notorious buggy games just not ask on a dedicated forum? Why would you even consider that? Since you play unpatched, might as well go full retro on low res with a CRT monitor and a shitty PC. :smug:

Well, to be honest, when playing an unfamiliar retro game, I usually install some patches, like Wesp's patch for Bloodlines or TFix for Thief. But I don't look for anything else to avoid spoilers.

laclongquan

Arcane
Tessera is a raging prideful faggot who stake his pride on "fix bug alone". I dont have to fear unwanted changes put in my vanilla VTMB, unlike that UP where the modder put in whatever the fuck he want. I dont mind you fanbois like UP better, but I do mind you want to ignore Wesp's behaviours.

And remember: There're only two kind of players, ones who break their Bloodline virginity with a Malk, and ones who do not.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Just use UP Basic Patch and fuck the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom