Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Walking simulators aka "Notgame" Thread

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Crooked Bee, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 28
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This thread is for posting anything and everything related to the thread title. You played one of these? Got some thoughts or repressed desires to share? Post 'em here.

E.g. I did this editorial more or less recently: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10001 It has some context re: what the hell a "notgame" is, if nothing else.

There's also this Gamasutra article, for example: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/251191/How_walking_simulators_allow_us_to_touch_other_worlds.php

Riight.

I'm also playing The Stanley Parable creator's The Beginner's Guide. If The Magic Circle is a reconstruction of a game from a notgame, The Beginner's Guide is more of a... deconstruction of a notgame to further pieces (if that's even possible) via a sort of meta-narrative? I'll report back later.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I've played 3 that I can remember. Dear Esther, which I couldn't finish. It was just too boring. Eidolon, which looked kinda cool, but also ended up being hideously boring after a short while. And then The Old City: Leviathan, which I actually quite enjoyed. Liked the story and writing of it, and it had some nice visual moments. I finished that one and enjoyed it.

Personally I'm not as dead set against walking simulators as some people because I believe there is a lot of space between "game" and "movie". I think that just being in control of a character changes how one perceives things when compared to a movie for example.

Of course, having so little gameplay means that you'll have a lot of pretentious hacks selling their shit which is unfortunate.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Forgot about The Old City, I'll add that to my Wishlist and wait for a sale. That did look pretty cool as well as the "story".

^ Top  
  5. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman Professional Doorstop Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Mind: Path to Thalamus.

Has a handful of moments of puzzling, but otherwise is a walking simulator in somewhat outlandish environments. I only played it long enough for all the Steam cards to drop.

^ Top  
  6. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Parrots:
    Are they commercially viable? I remember that everyone from mainstream media seamed to shit their pants when Gone Home was released, but after that I didn't hear that much about them.

^ Top  
  7. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    These are experimental games, so most of them are not commercially viable. Tale of Tales thought otherwise with Sunset and got burnt.

A couple of them were successful, like The Stanley Parable or Gone Home or Ethan Carter (to a lesser degree), but most simply can't be. For all their accessibility (you mostly just walk around and your interaction with the world is highly limited), they are not the most accessible genre conceptually. Most people won't pay much if anything for them, and for the most part rightly so.

^ Top  
  8. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Parrots:
  9. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    There were a number of these a couple of decades ago (Puppet Hotel, Freak Show, early Cyan games); it's odd to see people treating the ones that come out nowadays as groundbreaking.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    Parrots:
    Repressed, now that's an understatement. Hearing or seeing the words "interactive", "nongame", "deconstruction", "space" (not used as a physical space), "transcending the limits of...", "it's time to open up/mature the medium", or "narrative-focused" send me into a fit of anxiety and terror. Years ago I read a lot of contemporary art philosophy bullshit and that raped my brain and left me scarred for life. Now I'm seeing the exact same arguments, the same verbal diarrhea, and the same academic wankery but now applied to games. It's triggering.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. JudasIscariot Arcane Patron

JudasIscariot
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    Not sure if Ether One qualifies as a walking sim but at least it has quite a few puzzles to solve :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Venser Savant

Venser
    Parrots:
    Walking simulator is a retarded term for an exploration game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Calling it a game is retarded.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    I'm not sure I'd call most of them exploration games. First, they're not games ("notgames"); this isn't meant to judge them, it's just the way they're conceptually defined. Second, a lot of them don't have much to explore; those that do often limit exploration to walking around and triggering scripted events or just taking in the view and the atmosphere. Even in the most exploration-y of them, the actual focus is usually not on exploration as such, but on the "experience".

Anyway, in latest notgame news, Tale of Tales launched a KS for their next media experience:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taleoftales/cathedral-in-the-clouds-contemplation-in-the-digit

Right. Should I call this a "contemplation game"?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Damn, the guy is so anti-mainstream that he ditched glasses in favor of a goddamn monocle chained to his earring. Even JRPG designers can't come up with look-how-unique-I-am bullshit like that.

Also, €35,000 for a Cathedral with only TWO dioramas? Be prepared for a massive failure & subsequent butthurt rant on how gamers are ignorant.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy
    They have been there and done that. Raging about ignorant gamers is so... passé.

^ Top  
  17. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    Parrots:
    So, a virtual museum. Won't work. You can't just create a 3d model of the virgin Mary, make her alive, insert a nice music and call it contemplative art (redundant expression, of course); for meditation perhaps if the music or sound effects are nice, but meh. In fact, I suspect that the "alive" and 3d nature of what they want to create will break the aesthetic experience. And I'm assuming they can actually create beautiful 3d models.

This, in visual arts, is beatiful:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

In real life, dynamic 3d, or in an interactive medium, it's just someone who forgot to do the dishes.

There's a game for that, it's called google.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  18. Venser Savant

Venser
    Parrots:
    They are gonna cry on twitter again after they fail to reach even 50% of their kickstarter goal.

^ Top  
  19. Scrooge ⦅❛◡❛ॣॣ⦆*.・。╟╢ᎯƤƤᎽ*.・。 Patron

Scrooge
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm sorry but... :what::what::what:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    A write-up on The Beginner's Guide's "material-narrative dissonance”: http://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2015/10/the-beginners-guide-by-davey-wreden-et.html

Emily Short on The Beginner's Guide -- this one's more interesting because well, this is Emily Short: https://emshort.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/the-beginners-guide-davey-wreden-and-intimacy-inside-games/

I must say, after The Magic Circle, encountering another gamedev character named Coda was a bit surprising. The name does bear the obvious connotations, but to see it in two meta-games almost at once? I wonder if that perhaps isn't just a coincidence.

^ Top  
  21. Jack █▓▒░

Jack
    Parrots:
    So I just "played" TBG, man what an absolute turd that was. It's like playing through someone's collection of unfinished levels, they're quite pretty and neatly done but you can't enjoy them because a highly annoying pretentious wanker keeps talking and going on boring rants about this and that while you play. It's like looking at a nice picture but to see it you have to let Davey Wreden jerk off into your ear. I wouldn't recommend it to others, it's just not worth it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mustawd Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Played Gone Home. It was aight for was it was I guess. Can these type of "things" be considered in the visual novel kind of genre?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Parrots:
    Gone Home had some decent environmental storytelling and the novelty of being set in a familiar real-world place. At least it didn't feel like a total waste of my time like Dear Esther.

I don't think Visual Novel fits. A lot of these games don't even have that much exposition (for example Proteus, TIMEframe, The Path).

^ Top  
  24. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Wasn't this crap invented by Myst and hugely trendy back in late 90s?

And virtual museums? Fucksakes, Cryo interactive has spammed the marked with them back in the day. Egypt, Versailles, how is that new?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Joined on the 4th of July Magister

Joined on the 4th of July
    Parrots:
    Modern walking simulators are here to prove wrong the Myst-bashers from the 90s. "You thought Myst had no gameplay?! Well, take a look at this!"

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)