Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Want interesting women in video games? There are binders full of them

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ideo_games_There_are_binders_full_of_them.php

Jill Murray, narrative designer at Ubisoft Quebec, says there is very little excuse for the dearth of smartly-written women characters in games.

The Assassin's Creed: Liberation and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag writer took to the podium at GDC Next yesterday afternoon not to argue why diverse representation in games was important, but to illustrate how easily this could be achieved.

In a talk titled "Binders Full of Women: Diversifying Feminine Archetypes in Games," Murray listed off examples of women from history, current events and her own life, ranging from women Soviet pilots in World War II to Chinese empresses; Ethiopian entrepreneurs to Syrian snipers.

"Often in history you'll see women leaders and generals erased from the record, [but not all of them]," said Murray. "There is a simple trick to finding examples of awesome women: you type anything into Google and then add 'women' after it."

While Murray criticized the extent to which 'woman' is still used as a discrete category for characterization, she did note its effectiveness for research purposes. All of the women she profiled in her half-hour talk were the result of less than 60 seconds searching online.

"Imagine how much more you could find, with more time than I used," she suggested.

The point, Murray said, was not to provide her GDC Next audience with a cursory look at women in the armed forces, positions of government, or business. The point was that this was easy -- and so defending the scarcity of women protagonists on the premise of realism or lack of ready-to-hand examples through research only betrayed a certain laziness.

"This talk is less of a call to action and more of a look to the future," said Murray, "of a time when we will move beyond common archetypes and find new inspiration for a greater variety of games."

Further, Murray added: "Not only can we fix this oversight, but when we do it, it will be fun."

Wait, what?

That's interesting. Lets test this theory out.

RPG Codex Women: https://www.google.com/#q=RPG+Codex+women

Result: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dick-women-doomsday-is-near.86677/

So dnf is a woman I take it?

Tehdagah

Arcane
"The point was that this was easy -- and so defending the scarcity of women protagonists on the premise of realism or lack of ready-to-hand examples through research only betrayed a certain laziness."

What scarcity?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
"The point was that this was easy -- and so defending the scarcity of women protagonists on the premise of realism or lack of ready-to-hand examples through research only betrayed a certain laziness."

What scarcity?
Oh shit you found out, now how are we doing to debate about shit topics in the future? Vidya games are as progressive as it gets.

J1M

Arcane

What scarcity?
Laziness of women to write game engines or sloppy journalists to google female game protagonists.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"It does not matter if her story is interseting and would make a good game or not ; I found her quickly on Google, so your point is moot."

Luzur

Good Sir
make her a Muslim Super Hero, foiling USA's and Israel's plans of domination over and over again and she must also kick alot of dicks and not need any man etc

laclongquan

Arcane
Terra is an interesting gal, but not great. Final Fantasy 6.

Chronos trigger and Chronos Cross both has interesting female leads. Lucca, Dagger, etc...

KOTOR2 has Keirra as a great female lead. I didnt play it, so I wouldnt know. Still, around here she's pretty well known.

Fallout 2 has 1st Citizen Lynnette. Most well known as a racist bigot, alas she's an NPC. Tandi is so-so, as i dont find her even as interesting as lynnette, or the Elder.

Baldur Gate series has some really overrated female leads. Mostly due to DnD setting, I suppose.

NWN2 MOTB has some great female leads.

Torment, as befit the top RPG, has great female leads. From the supporting cast (Deionarra), to the companions (Anna of the Hive, fall from grace). Hell, even Lady of Pain is great (distant, but quite threatening).

Though Miranda of Ass Effect has been mentioned, I dont find much on her dialog or background. Therefore I suspect she's not a well written character. Nice ass, though. It's good that we dont keep her around for being interesting.

... Just the usual suspect from top of my mind. I suspect if I dig deeper into my memory there's more.

So what? Idiotic writer hasnt done her homework? Naturally, and so not the issue here.

The issue, as you can see from my examples, is the "well written" aspect. A great female lead must appear in a well written game (though not vice versa).

Since well written games are not that common, that fall squarely on the writers' plates and no one else.

EDIT: I would have mentioned Valkyrie, the female leader of the barbarian tribes in Ascencion to the Throne: Valkyrie. Alas, I have messed that game up and broke it, so I havent even finished it yet. In good conscience I cant recommend it in this case

DragoFireheart

The issue, as you can see from my examples, is the "well written" aspect. A great female lead must appear in a well written game (though not vice versa).

Since well written games are not that common, that fall squarely on the writers' plates and no one else.

I hate to be that guy, but:

Where are the female writers/game devs? Kickstarter would be a great way for them to start a small game with a focus on women as the core audience.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I hate to be that guy, but:

Where are the female writers/game devs? Kickstarter would be a great way for them to start a small game with a focus on women as the core audience.
Isn't that what Bioware tries to be?

deuxhero

Arcane
Though Miranda of Ass Effect has been mentioned, I dont find much on her dialog or background. Therefore I suspect she's not a well written character. Nice ass, though. It's good that we dont keep her around for being interesting.

Most of the ME AZ strips are the author expressing her hate for the character.

I'm honestly surprised Bioware got away with making the character "genetically engineered to be perfect" completely white.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

I'm honestly surprised Bioware got away with making the character "genetically engineered to be perfect" completely white.

It's almost like they trolled their audience without them knowing it.

Probably distracted by alien sex and black dick.

Renegen

Arcane
That was a great google search result.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom