Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

War for the Netflix of gaming: featuring Google, Amazon, Microsoft, EA, Sony

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jan 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    While there's Epic Games making noise with a new download-based game store, you may also noticed giant tech companies are preparing for the next war of gaming platforms: streaming and/or subscription based game service, aka the Netflix of gaming.

Here's a recent report about Amazon: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...dly-developing-its-own-game-streaming-service

Conveniently 2020 is the year people expecting the next generation of consoles arrive. Microsoft is reportedly working on a streaming-only console (alongside a more traditional console) like the above report mentioned, and Sony probably is finding ways to make PSN/PS Now relevant in this war.

Also it would be not surprising if Valve also is preparing for streaming and/or subscription options for Steam.

(Oh about EA, they have dreams of becoming a platform holder with Origin and also preparing for a streaming service. Subscription service is already there.)

So what does this mean for us? Will this make more niche games viable? How niche it could be? Will this accelerate "popmolization" of mainstream games? (One thing is sure, since it will be so easy to pick up and try games, games will focus on making strong impression in the first hours even more than they do now.)

If this streaming thing fly, will premium, buy-to-"own" games be obsolete? I don't think so, at least not in the foreseeable future. I think games still have more benefits to own, and there are more people want and need to "own" games than music and video.

Personally I find streaming has a good potential to be a sampling stand, that you can try various games without downloading and installing gigabytes of data before you decide to buy them to own. I hope Steam or something provides an hour or something streaming demo for every games for free. But I doubt it.

(Makes me wonder if gaming version of illegal movie/TV show streaming sites will ever be viable. I guess hosted browser based emulators are closer to that, although they're not streaming in this sense.)

• decline x 7
    • Nuke it from orbit x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • thumbs down x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. abija Arbiter

abija
    If devs get payed proportionally with how much people spend in their games, the amount of bullshit time wasting mechanics will sky rocket. So will the amount of gamasutra articles describing how said bullshit filler makes you enjoy "real content" even more.

• Agree Agree x 11
    ^ Top  
  3. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Yeah sure, but that was then and this is now. At least the tech giants think now (or well, few years in the future) is the time, with faster network speed and more advanced and widespread cloud tech (which is one of the main revenue generators for those giants).

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Well PSNOW already and still exists. (And has become pretty good value over the last two years)

• Disagree x 3
    • Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Someone tell me again how the Tech Giants have solved the issue of speeding up the speed of light down fibre optic cables to remove the single biggest issue here, which is ping?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It is a mystery to me too[​IMG] but reports on Google's test with Assassin's Creed was positive (or not negative) on that front, saying it's closer to input delay on console (and of course worse than PC native).

Also there was a report how MS is trying to "minimize" lag: https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/163896/details-microsofts-xbox-scarlett-game-streaming-service

So they're trying to solve the problem I guess.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    They will solve it thanks to revolutionary futuristic technology called "download to hard drive".

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Keep in mind that they tested that on a OLED TV with 22ms of input lag, a low input lag monitor these days has 1ms, and most IPS monitors have about 10ish. And they only tested it vs 60FPS, not 144hz

It's fair to say that it's probably an improvement over a true potato of a PC for the highest end games, ie if you have a potato of a PC and you want to play the highest end game around it's worth streaming it because otherwise you can't. But the question is how many of those people *want* to play it.

^ Top  
  10. Pika-Cthulhu Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    Dying in a singleplayer game due to lag. Such innovations!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    its the mmo experience without people

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Siveon Black Mage Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Isn't it still a streaming service? If it was downloadables I'd be inclined to agree but streaming is basically worthless.

^ Top  
  13. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Most PS4 games are downloadable (On PS4)
    Currently playing PREY and Tokyo Xanadu on it.
    Also streaming is ok (At least for me).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Downloadable Games on PSNOW
    Show Spoiler

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Siveon Black Mage Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Gross, FPS on console.

Although seriously the way I see it that's a mountain of garbage (with granted a handful of good games) for $20 a month - a $20 I could spend on just getting the games themselves permanently.

^ Top  
  16. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Yeah, but that would apply to any potential netflix like gaming service (Hell that is what Netflix itself is). C'est la vie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Edward The Mediocre Arcane

Edward The Mediocre
    They exist, one of my buddies I met at trade school was one of them. And that guy didn't have a potato pc, quite the opposite, he had it setup do VR shit. I didn't press him on it but my assumption is that a super computer streamed can do a lot more shit than anything you can do at the consumer level.

^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    that's not what the thread is about, dip
    that's equivalent to things like EA's origin subscription

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zenith Learned

Zenith
    Generally, people eat shit up. Search "Witcher 2 input lag" and observe pages upon pages of people saying that the OP should just upgrade PC / git gud, and even that the lag is totally normal and intended by the devs. I've skimmed the first page of google results just now and I don't think the solution (which is to limit the number of render-ahead frames to something reasonable) is mentioned even once.
    Condition the players to expect fucked up controls (input lag, mouse acceleration etc) and consider them normal, stuff games full of nano-interactive garbage like QTEs and Telltale-style "decisions", add auto-aim, auto-lock-on and auto-jump-to-enemy... Really, they wouldn't have to do anything they don't already do. I bet if this lifts off financially, in a year or two we'll see a full-on auto-pilot that "predicts" what inputs the user would have made. Just press a button every other second and the game will play itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Young_Hollow Educated

Young_Hollow
    Even if a good streaming service is developed, whichever company owns it would have to wait for the world to catch up in internet speed. IIRC Gabe once said that the problem with this kind of streaming is that once everyone starts using it, the bandwidth will be reduced so much that no one can use it. Even if it works, I don't think I'll ever be using it. DRM is bad enough but paying for the privilege "streaming" a game I should have on my PC is bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Edward The Mediocre Arcane

Edward The Mediocre
    I think one way to mitigate the lag is to do something like the run-ahead feature in retroarch. Which save/load states out of the ass each time when you make a input.

^ Top  
  22. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Not... exactly?

The OP uses Netflix (which was a non-streaming subscription based service before streaming) as an example and then talks about Streaming and subscription based services (Even mentions EA's origin subscription btw).

Ofc you mean talking about streaming technology in general but even then PSNow is the only big current example.

^ Top  
  23. abija Arbiter

abija
    There is a huge difference between actions though, your character reacting at 150ms in a slow paced game is tolerable, the camera turning with 150ms delay in a game where you constantly need to move it will drive you mad. Or imagine playing something like starcraft with 150ms between your action and screen updating...

This is not the same lag as you get in MP where the clients try to react instantly at most of your input.

^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    online games are also designed to counteract lag using client-side prediction and various algorithms for latency hiding

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    [​IMG]

:philosoraptor:

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 6
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)