Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Thunder : WoP - simmers wet dream

it's normal to get roflstomped everywhere, especially by russians and americans.

Destroid

Arcane
Man the KV-2 is a death machine in this game. It might not always kill what you shoot at but it almost always blows their tracks and gun off.

I made a switch from Stug to F2, holy cow that tank is properly good. I'm getting 5+ kills pretty much every game, apparently taking the same gun and putting it on a turret made all the difference (also helps that I get lower matchmaking and on top of that I'll also be getting arty support). I still lose lots of games though, I mean seriously, I lost games today where I got 7 and 8 kills. I guess most people don't know how to use this tank properly (for whatever reason). One problem I found is that there is ammo storage everywhere in this tank, easy to get blown up sky high. I came up with a brilliant solution though, don't load up on ammo to the brim. Who woulda thunk?

I discovered it after failing to detonate that small ammo cache in the front left side of Sherman with 2 consecutive shots. Turns out it doesn't explode if there is no ammo in it.

I just tested this in test drive. Pz IV F2. Empty racks are well ... empty in module view. You can't see differences in individual shells though it's binary that way. However I do believe the less rounds there are left in a rack, the smaller chance for ammo cook off. BTW precisely 58 rounds left and both front racks are empty (or at least look empty), what would have launched your turret into space now just kills crewman or two. Makes whole lot of difference and let's be honest you don't need more than 50 rounds.

Destroid

Arcane
I read a while ago some guy tested it and found that you got ammo racked even with 0 shells in the tank, until more science is done I will continue to roll out with maximum shells.

How do you view your modules? In the garage or do you mean in the hit replays?

http://devblog.warthunder.com/2015/01/15/update-1-45-11-15/?hl=en
Fixed an error that would happen when you loaded the last available shell yet it still would be calculated in the tank ammo rack, which led to a possibility of ammo explosion after an enemy hits the module.
BTW I did notice decrease in catastrophic ammo explosions that I suffer once I got rid of these ridiculous front ammo racks. Again though 50 shells is more than enough, I haven't ran out yet. It's not even a trade-off, those extra 30 or so shells do nothing for me.

Press O. You can do this during game.

Destroid

Arcane
http://devblog.warthunder.com/2015/01/15/update-1-45-11-15/?hl=en
Fixed an error that would happen when you loaded the last available shell yet it still would be calculated in the tank ammo rack, which led to a possibility of ammo explosion after an enemy hits the module.
BTW I did notice decrease in catastrophic ammo explosions that I suffer once I got rid of these ridiculous front ammo racks. Again though 50 shells is more than enough, I haven't ran out yet. It's not even a trade-off, those extra 30 or so shells do nothing for me.

Press O. You can do this during game.

Thanks, works as you described, dropping the KV-2 down to 16 rounds took all the ammo out of the turret, which is nice.

Destroid

Arcane
You can bind a key that lets you view the state of the internals of your tank during a match (mine was unbound), you can see which ammo racks have shells and which don't.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah, I bound the key. I take it that the shells won't show up if there's nothing in the rack then

The rack itself is still visible, it just looks like an empty rack. You need to take out quite a lot of shells to get them to start emptying, since most tanks only have 4-5 racks.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I see they've been making new "No HUD or markers" events. Was the original that popular? Either way :incline: , I love this shit.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dynamic dirt to be implemented in next patch

_Untitled_000010.jpg

_Untitled_000000.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Do tanks still skate around like the ground is covered in grease? That's my main beef with this game.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
As I detest MMO but boredom overcame me at Sunday and decided to download War Thunder through Steam for some tank action. I have to admit that I didn't have this much fun for a long time.

Also, German low tire tanks are weak? What are you, a bunch of goddamn sissies? I didn't have any problems with the enemy tanks until I unlocked the Panzer IV F2 and the Battle Rating sent me to fight opponents that could one-shotted from a very long range. Since then I decided to back away a bit from the higher tire until I unlock Stug. III F and the Maruder III H so I will at least be able to field tanks of equal quality in my line-up.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Low tier German tanks are weak and were weak in real life as well. Amerikwan line is much much more powerful in low tiers. Not to even mention T-50 and T-34

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Do tanks still skate around like the ground is covered in grease? That's my main beef with this game.

Not really. Maybe very light ones, but I'm driving mostly heavies and don't see that problem anymore.

You guys better play the "combined battles" event (no enemy markers on minimap and no big red names over their heads) which is basicly superior to normal modes. Lots of fun, that one! :D
This patch is pretty good. I enjoy flying my Ho229 now, because it's no longer utter shit as it was before. Also, opening the cockpit feels awesome in simulator mode.

Destroid

Arcane
The new mods should make the Ju-87D-5 pretty hilarious, it can carry 6 MG151s at BR3.3 in arcade.

Annoying that they took out the daily double, it's gonna be more hassle to work with this new system.

SmartCheetah how is the flight characteristics? I read it used to have very poor acceleration and climb, which would mostly make it food for the top tier props it faces.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
The new mods should make the Ju-87D-5 pretty hilarious, it can carry 6 MG151s at BR3.3 in arcade.

Annoying that they took out the daily double, it's gonna be more hassle to work with this new system.

SmartCheetah how is the flight characteristics? I read it used to have very poor acceleration and climb, which would mostly make it food for the top tier props it faces.

Yeah, removing the daily double sucks damn hard. Especially with those "new" rewards, where you end up with a little chance to get something actually meaningful.

About Ho229 - acceleration is WAY better now and you can actually climb. Also, it was snapping wings when you turned at 350km/h+ Now it endures little more (You just need to remember to not pull heavy G's with that thing) so it's playable. You would outurn basicly everything MM can throw at you, and you wil be mostly fighting top-tier propellers and early jets (Expect Tempests, a lot of bearcats/f7f's, MiG9's, vampires or meteors, p80's)
Oh, and B-57 + B-29 spam.
What I don't like about Horten? Very low RoF Mk103 has, stealth ammo without Minengeschoß and the fact it's a huge(therefore, easy) target to hit.

If you want to grind modules for it, just grab the ground attack ammo and kill dem medium tanks. Works like a harm.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah I've got the Me 410 and Hs 129 with the Mk103, I've found them pretty effective, especially for head-ons since I can comfortably open up at 1km+ and surprise people.

On the downside, with the 410 being on such a high tier it gets raped by proper fighters and has no real use on the battlefield, other than shooting tanks as you say. As a free player I look at the module RP costs for jets and flee in terror.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom