Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Warbanners - turn-based tactics from the developers of Drums of War

Emily

Arcane
I played it and finished it. Very good game. The only slight issue I had was the enemy potion spamming felt too random and unimersive. Why would every single unit have them?

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
Thank you, Taka-Haradin puolipeikko! And thanks to other codexer for their support!

I played it and finished it. Very good game. The only slight issue I had was the enemy potion spamming felt too random and unimersive. Why would every single unit have them?
I have already heard complaints about the fact that enemies have many potions with debuffs. This surprised me. The undead, for example, has almost no potions. Do you suggest taking away the potions from the enemies? But this will give the player an unreasonable advantage... Or change the set of potions (for example, give more potions to restore endurance or rage)?

Emily

Arcane
Thank you, Taka-Haradin puolipeikko! And thanks to other codexer for their support!

I have already heard complaints about the fact that enemies have many potions with debuffs. This surprised me. The undead, for example, has almost no potions. Do you suggest taking away the potions from the enemies? But this will give the player an unreasonable advantage... Or change the set of potions (for example, give more potions to restore endurance or rage)?
I think this is mostly due to my own (and others) view of potions. As something more arcane and not really meant for ppl to have.
Obviously in your setting the potions are abundant and common so it is really a minor point. It would maybe make more sense to have abilities rather than potion spam,or have potions just for hp/mana for a more traditional approach.

In final fantasy tactics you had a good approach to this via special job called alchemists that could use potions. And other units could learn to use potions as well but at a cost of renouncing some other ability slot and using exp to unlock the potions.
Again it is a minor point I enjoyed the game very much and will be buying new dlc/next game.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
How did you guys beat the early encounter versus 5 elves that conjure another 5 ents, on hard? Shit is very hard.
I have not yet tried buying 80 gold worth of potions which would waste the whole reward...

I was thinking about the winter potion that would drop the ents to 2 action points per turn for 2 turns hence not let them attack anymore. Other suggestions?

Trash Player

Scholar
For both of you, use the buff potions and buy a priestess early. Courage gives a lot for its price early and rage makes archers killing machines.

Lagi

Savant
HP is big enough, so its better to use potion in your turn, than risk missing an attack.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
Archers are shit vs the ents. Ents are a fucking menace. 30 HP and 10 dmg on hit is perverse.
I tried bottlenecking them on those fallen trees and showering them in 80 gold worth of fire potions but its very luck based where the fire starts... Almost made it once.
Game is so niche, cant even find anyone beating that optional encounter on max difficulty.

Trash Player

Scholar
Archers are shit vs the ents. Ents are a fucking menace. 30 HP and 10 dmg on hit is perverse.
I tried bottlenecking them on those fallen trees and showering them in 80 gold worth of fire potions but its very luck based where the fire starts... Almost made it once.
Game is so niche, cant even find anyone beating that optional encounter on max difficulty.
Ents are tough and hard hitting but they have a hard time hitting your swordmen in favourable condition, i.e. in formation, high morale, not tired, away from trees.
The key is to get damage bonus on the archers and halberdiers to overcome armour and regen. Of course you better kill off the elves first.
Quite a few players, me included, can beat the previous harder versions reliably. It is much tamer now with halberdiers and easier mission.
I am willing to beat this for you if you are stuck, just pm me.

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
DLC "Death Speaker" coming soon...

Become the leader of the orc clan and claim everything that belongs to you by right! Ancient dwarven ruins are waiting for you to share the Power of the Two Gods!
Go through 8 missions. Bring the horde to these ruins and receive a well-deserved reward. Find out the history of Targun the Bloodthirsty, the greatest and ruthless son of the Steppes!

header.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2363700548703452996

Warbanners v1.1.9 and announcing ‘Death Speaker’ DLC!
15 MARCH - CRASLEEN_GAMES
Added a visual effect for assistant Set-Shamar.

Added a Morale mechanic:
- When a melee unit approaches an enemy, that enemy loses 1 Morale.
- When a unit dies, all allies in the radius of two hexes lose an additional 2 Morale. All other units lose their Morale as before (for example, the loss of an ally affects people more, orcs less).
- When a unit panics, all his allies lose 2 Morale. All allies in the radius of two hexes lose an additional 3 Morale (total loss of 5 Morale).

We don’t necessarily suggest memorizing all the nuances of changing Morale -- just remember that it affects almost everything that happens on the battlefield.

Another very important change is that we have eliminated most of the irritations of truly random calculations! The game no longer rolls virtual dice. In this new iteration each attack is assigned a unique set of 20 black and white digital tokens. The higher the chance of success, the more of tokens will be white. An attack with a 60% chance of success would for example get 12 white and 8 black tokens.

The game would then chose a random token for the first attack. A white one would translate to a hit, whereas a black one would be a miss. Thus, out of 20 attacks conducted with a 60% chance to hit there will always be 12 hits and 8 misses, as each following attack with a 60% chance from this set would access the same token-pool, but with one less token. When the tokens run out, the game will pick up 20 new ones. This type of calculation applies to all enemies, player units, and allies.

Periodically complaints are received that there are too many enemies, and they literally crush by their number. I decided to count the number of player units (together with allies) and the number of enemies in the first 12 missions, at normal difficulty level. So:
Mission 1. Player and allies: 9 units. Enemies: 5
Mission 2. Player and allies: 7 units. Enemies: 8
Mission 3. Player and allies: 7 units. Enemies: 6
Mission 4. Player and allies: 8 units. Enemies: 10
Mission 5. Player and allies: 13 units. Enemies: 8
Mission 6. Player and allies: 8 units. Enemies: 8
Mission 7. Player and allies: 9 units. Enemies: 9
Mission 8. Player and allies: 14 units. Enemies: 15
Mission 9. Player and allies: 10 units. Enemies: 11
Mission 10. Player and allies: 17 units. Enemies: 21
Mission 11. Player and allies: 26 units. Enemies: 27
Mission 12. Player and allies: 11 units. Enemies: 16
At the "hard" level, total enemy units are increased, and decreased on the "easy" level (naturally).

Not everyone knows that the game has a setting that allows you to reduce the health of all units (player units and enemies) by 30%. This setting can be turned on or off at any time and will kick in at the start of the next fight! For example, you can go through 3 missions with the setting turned on, then 2 with off, then 4 more with it back on – if you think that the battles are too tight, boldly turn on the setting!

The release of Warbanners took place on October 18, 2017. Since that moment, we have released a total of 19 updates!

Major changes made since launch:
- Added the "Undo move" button.
- Added the "Arena" area to the world map, where you can earn gold and experience.
- Added the new "Halberdier" unit.
- Resurrection of units has become virtually free of cost (the player receives compensation for losses in battle).
- Corrected some units, spells and skills.
- Improved balance in almost all missions (first by making the "easy" level easier), with major balance changes implemented for a trio of missions.
- Fixed issues with ultra-wide monitors and features, fixed a few small errors.
- Thanks to the efforts of volunteers: added localization in 5 languages! Translations for French, Spanish and Italian are currently underway.

I am happy to announce that our work on DLC “Death Speaker” is nearing completion. Death Speaker - is the first (and, probably, the last) paid DLC to Warbanners. In Death Speaker, the player will be led by an orc clan. The campaign consists of 8 missions and is completely linear. Approximate duration of the passage is about 5 hours. The release of the DLC is scheduled for either later this month or in April. The price will be $ 4.99.
Death Speaker

Thank you for all the support!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

'Warbanners: Death Speaker' DLC Launches March 2018 for Windows and Linux
Lead a powerful Orc clan, and Claim everything that's yours in the process

March 15th, 2018 -- Warbanners developer Crasleen Games announces Warbanners: Death Speaker will launch later this month for Windows and Linux on Steam! Become the leader of a powerful Orc clan in Warbanners inaugural DLC release and claim everything that is rightfully yours. The ancient dwarven ruins are waiting for you to invade them, earn your ascension through combat, and share the power of the Two Gods.

Battle through 8 exciting new missions designed for Warbanners veterans. Bring the horde safe to the mythical ruins, and receive a well-deserved reward fit for immortals. Discover the history of Targun the Bloodthirsty, the greatest and most ruthless son of the steppes.

Warbanners is an independently developed, meticulously designed, turn-based, tactical strategy game with role-playing elements. Manage a squad of mercenaries, experience a campaign of 42 missions, and strategically fight towards becoming a legend equal to the ancient ones. Master a multifaceted battle system, and learn how to exploit everything from the terrain to your special units in your road to victory.

Warbanners: Death Speaker will be available for $4.99 upon release later this month. Warbanners itself is currently available on Steam and Humble Store for $19.99.

To find out more, visit: http://bit.ly/2xz5yte
Discord: https://discord.gg/Yrnas54
Facebook: http://bit.ly/2xKr6Qv
Twitter: @Vlad_Konung

About Crasleen Games
Crasleen Games -- headed up by Vlad Konung -- has kept busy working on its second commercial release in Warbanners. Their first title, Drums of War, was published by Slitherine games in 2014.

Lagi

Savant
In this new iteration each attack is assigned a unique set of 20 black and white digital tokens. The higher the chance of success, the more of tokens will be white. An attack with a 60% chance of success would for example get 12 white and 8 black tokens.

The game would then chose a random token for the first attack. A white one would translate to a hit, whereas a black one would be a miss. Thus, out of 20 attacks conducted with a 60% chance to hit there will always be 12 hits and 8 misses, as each following attack with a 60% chance from this set would access the same token-pool, but with one less token. When the tokens run out, the game will pick up 20 new ones. This type of calculation applies to all enemies, player units, and allies.

so it means the chance of next hit is
5% lower if you hit, and 5% higher if you miss?
sounds brilliant

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In this new iteration each attack is assigned a unique set of 20 black and white digital tokens. The higher the chance of success, the more of tokens will be white. An attack with a 60% chance of success would for example get 12 white and 8 black tokens.

so it means the chance of next hit is
sounds brilliant
Not quite. After the first hit, it swings 3% either way.

Citizen

Not quite. After the first hit, it swings 3% either way.

If your current hitchance is whites divided by whites plus blacks, then:

p9VR6C2.png

If you miss:

QdCn4sv.png

yILNzTR.png

If you land a hit:

2OXjnmL.png

by5HqyB.png

So a hitchance after "i" hits and "j" misses will be:

m6YRZ7D.png

Where W0 and B0 are the initial amounts of tokens.

This will lead to ridiculous situations. Imagine scoring 12 hits and 6 misses with 60% hitchance. You still have 2 hits until your token pool is renewed, and until then your chance to hit is 0%:

4VRuI7g.png

So you would know that the next 2 attacks will miss, and still you would need to make these 2 useless attacks just to drain the token pool and start hitting things again.

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
This will lead to ridiculous situations. Imagine scoring 12 hits and 6 misses with 60% hitchance. You still have 2 hits until your token pool is renewed, and until then your chance to hit is 0%:

4VRuI7g.png

So you would know that the next 2 attacks will miss, and still you would need to make these 2 useless attacks just to drain the token pool and start hitting things again.

Yes, right. Do not worry! You can be sure of the result only for extreme values - 10% or 90-95%. In all other cases, you will simply know that Random does not play against you. We received a lot of negative reviews because of an honest randomization. So I decided to take this radical decision and close the question.

Citizen

Yes, right. Do not worry! You can be sure of the result only for extreme values - 10% or 90-95%. In all other cases, you will simply know that Random does not play against you. We received a lot of negative reviews because of an honest randomization. So I decided to take this radical decision and close the question.
Strange decision, honestly. It's still random enough to irritate "random haters", and in situations, where you get 10% hitchance for the few remaining attacks, it will irritate them even more. If the criticism is coming from people posting about "missing 3 times with 85% hit chance is UNREALISTIC i hate random so much wtf", just ignore it. Warbanners is really nice as it is, and i'm afraid the mechanic changes might ruin the almost perfect balance between fun and challenge that you achieved.

Also, do you still plan gog.com release?

Last edited by a moderator:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indeed, don't listen to the randomness haters.
You could try to limit the consequences of streaks of bad luck, by making it easier to hire and level up replacements.
People blame randomness for most of their stupid decisions anyway. Changing the mechanisms underneath won't make them play any better.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dumbasses not understanding that 80%!= 4 out 5 are to be ignored where rng is concerned

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom