Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Warbanners - turn-based tactics from the developers of Drums of War

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Orcs can also go the gobbo route. Gobbomats (the weird shamans) are a beast of a unit, and getting them in my grubby fingers instead of just being harassed by them all game long was definitly carthartic. Poison Cloud on a unit with mana regenaration is wonderfull, and allows Orcs to also play the long game, especially in combination with trappers and the other gobbos that ignore zone of control.
Against undead, which should be a hardcounter to that strat, gobbos perform well too, because almost no undead have a range above 1. The root spell that immobilises all enemies in 7 hexes for 2 turns is OP against them, my 2/3 gobbo shamans kept more than half the enemy undead armies on lockdown for most of the fight, while my ogre slowly crushed them to death from range.

I agree that the Orc campaign is a bit too short. 2 battles are basically tutorials in which you only have 5 units, after that you only have 6 battles until it is done. Also the last battle in this campaign is the easiest for some reason, at least if you pack enough liquid fire. And it could have at least had one commissioned ending screen, going from the victory to a text blurb to the main menu felt flat as fuck.

Their army however is fairly nice. Their advisors are clearly unfinished still, and will probably be fleshed out for Veterum. Apart from that there is a nice amount of variety in that army, and for mostly being an enemy fraction it also felt relatively balanced. The only unit I would categorise as useless is the generic orc archer, but he gets a lot better as soon as you get the magical bow only he can wear. Never take more than one tho.

Overall this DLC was nowhere near as good as the main campaign, but for the price it is basically a "buy a beer for the dev" button with some extras thrown in. For that it is definitly worth pressing.

I am interested in the series future, especially as it looks like Age of Fear and Veterum are developing in exactly the same direction. I would prefer Veterum to stay with hand crafted encounters as Age of Fear goes the open world route. But musings on that are best reserved for another thread.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom