Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Warbanners - turn-based tactics from the developers of Drums of War

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
The closed beta of Warbanners will begin next week! Brave (and cunning) beta testers are needed to play, test, and dissect the game through August.

Interested in participating? Please do drop us a line at vladkonung@yahoo.com or PM!

Thank you!

Trash Player

Scholar
Oh my, I have missed so much.
Count me in for the beta, I will take another look at the text soon(tm).

Lagi

Savant
in caravan mission
of Other Event: User Defined 1
for object o_but_skills:

Unable to find any instance for object index '100981' name '<undefined>'
at gml_Object_o_but_skills_Other_11
############################################################################################

game is a lot harder, mostly because of good AI. Escapes from traps, enemy has well mastered. Seriously enemy seems to understand the logic of hex, turn based games. In second mission ghouls, flank my archers, bypassing swordsman. The one ghoul that I surround make roar, and the second manage to kill one more of my swordsman's.

I dont know, how You think about difficulty, but standard level is now hard. Look maybe I'm not Hannibal, but I at least play your game some times, the fresh players will be dishearten for sure. And there is still Hard and Impossible level for hardcore gamers.

Because of nice AI tactics, not used before Defensive position have his application!

Stamina and Morale have very nice impact on game. It's a rare thing in game industry.

Because of above I have causalities. However I love that my troops die. I appreciate cleaver enemy maneuver that lead to my men death. And I'm quite sure your future audience will too.

I also disband dead but cripple experience footman and replace him with fresh guy - a think that NEVER happened to me in ANY game.

If I can suggest something, then it would be to polish the economy. To allow budget taking deaths, without the need to load game, when something go wrong (like in UFO).

I think most reasonable would be to grand extra cash for each lost unit. To soften spiral of doom. It can be explain as taking his personal items, that he doesn't need any more, and selling it for cash. OR its maybe already implemented? cause I resurrect 3 units, and fail caravan mission (no $ for potions).

this game could have Myth TFL ambience, too bad tits in main menu dispel it very much.

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
in caravan mission
of Other Event: User Defined 1
for object o_but_skills:

Unable to find any instance for object index '100981' name '<undefined>'
at gml_Object_o_but_skills_Other_11
############################################################################################

Hm... Can you tell me exactly when it appeared?

Lagi

Savant
I was about to lose my last guy I think. But I'm not sure if its related with "you lose" screen (if there is any).

Lagi

Savant
of Alarm Event for alarm 1
for object o_spell16:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -7.pbd(100702, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_o_spell16_Alarm_1

also during orc ambush orc archer (stuck) on making action, he dont do anything, and game waits with him.

4th mission are damm hard! my team is not good enough to compete with does guys (orcs or undeads). I feel forced to change difficulty into easy. (that remaind me some mission in Myth 3 wolf age :/ )

blacksmith spell Impact should cost 6 mana to cast (not 8).
compare with Lighting which does 1 point damage more for 7 mana.
push effect is fun, and player should be incline to use it more over boring damage, especially when spell do a lot of damage to armored units.

orc Warboss should not has the same skill as Roderick "Heroic Cry". this skill dont fit to orcs. warboss already has battle cry. it reduce the Roderick identity, if other unit has same skills (i mean its not so special). and its IMBA horde of orcs are buff with 2x area effects from cry's.

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
of Alarm Event for alarm 1
for object o_spell16:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -7.pbd(100702, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_o_spell16_Alarm_1

also during orc ambush orc archer (stuck) on making action, he dont do anything, and game waits with him.

4th mission are damm hard! my team is not good enough to compete with does guys (orcs or undeads). I feel forced to change difficulty into easy. (that remaind me some mission in Myth 3 wolf age :/ )

blacksmith spell Impact should cost 6 mana to cast (not 8).
compare with Lighting which does 1 point damage more for 7 mana.
push effect is fun, and player should be incline to use it more over boring damage, especially when spell do a lot of damage to armored units.

orc Warboss should not has the same skill as Roderick "Heroic Cry". this skill dont fit to orcs. warboss already has battle cry. it reduce the Roderick identity, if other unit has same skills (i mean its not so special). and its IMBA horde of orcs are buff with 2x area effects from cry's.

Thank you! Where do you get these errors? Are you doing something tricky or just playing?

Orc-archer did just stood down and did nothing? Because of this it was impossible to continue playing?

The mission at the cemetery will be 100% simplified.

About the rest I'll think about it.

Trash Player

Scholar
How did you find the elves? Was the morale drop too much? A funny thing is that summons decay 1hp per turn but Ents regenerate 2. Dealing with them is Catch 22.
I kinda expect cemetery will be made easier. The necromancers and horde present an interesting dilemma: Forming a defensive circle helps against the dead but ring of frost
makes attrition a nightmare. Yet, rushing the necromancers begs for casualties. However, at this point, the player is more likely inclines to restart the mission until good rolls
happen when sniping with archers. It is a pretty interesting case where everything works fine and fair but the agent goes for a legal but cheap and dirty move.
Of course, there is always the argument that players should not behave like a degenerate...

Lagi

Savant
Thank you! Where do you get these errors? Are you doing something tricky or just playing?

Orc-archer did just stood down and did nothing? Because of this it was impossible to continue playing?

The mission at the cemetery will be 100% simplified.

About the rest I'll think about it.

I have play a long 4th mission, it was about turn 22. in cementery necro cast raise dead and frost circle few times and saddness. Completely normal play.
Yes, i was able to go to windows with alt+tab and go back. Not sure now if screen was lock. I was trying to run away from orcwarboss with my last guys and finish off first archers + hoping that regeneration belt restore enough HP for Roderick to compete in hand to hand combat with Warboss. It was not a big issue, since I have to load anyway (the casualties was to severe to continue play).

Agree TrashPLayer, because of enemy numerical advantage they land a hit more often than your folks, who are too unskilled at this point to have a decent hit chance. I think cementary mission will have a little better success chance if Priestess have dispel skill to counter frost rings, and this curse debuff from undead, but I'm not sure if its good step - adjusting unit to missions.

Must say despite very high difficulty the game is extremely pleasurable to play. Mostly because I using and taking into account lots of elements (face turning,morale, stamina, spells) to work out my advantage in this uneven struggles. How the hell I beat thous mission in previous versions? it was not that HARD for sure.

I was so proud of myself when I figure out how to gain early access to dwarfs :D

I didnt try yet Elfs. I take option to refuse participating :)

Lagi

Savant
just beat the orc mission(standard diff)

use fire to block the south pass in the center of the map. So half enemy melee-force need to go around.
priestess was used as self healing arrow-catcher (die anyway)
buy healing potion for swordsman, and archers work as potion artillery, and after that as punching bag to cover my retreating swordsman, they also kill the orc archers at the end.

anyway lose 2 unit: swordsman+priest

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
2 killed, nevertheless, a lot.

Dwarves, IMHO, are good.

I realized that the mission should be made easier. Please fill out the table and advise how many and which enemies to remove. Maybe you have some other ideas?

Lagi

Savant
I beat elves - which give me more cash for undead. nothing extraordinary, just good knowledge of potions, lots of fires. 1 swordsmand die, but whatever, i take blacksmiths as replacement.

Undeads are tough. Even if I luckly shoot 2x necro soon, +have full potion with each guys, there is too much undead to deal with.

I think inevitable KIA are very good part of the game. Deaths remove the "grinding" feeling, of "another mission to max out my unit stats". Player realize that this is not a joke. Your enemy are here to kill you.

and for Keeping this massacre feeling, player need Cash for replacement. I would say Easy difficulty should receive less cash, standard +25%, hard and impossible +50%. OR reduce the cost of resurrecting and recruiting unit by 10. So there is spare cash for potions (without potions this game is boring). Currently I dont have enough to keep the roster full. If player has too much money, there is no problem, cause he go for hiring assistants.

Orc mission? hmm.. for sure remove heroic cry from orc warboss need to go, it buff many unit at once.
orc warriors are tough because they can soak many damage, and are very resistant for arrows, so archers are out of targets. if I reduce some unit it would be them. From south side.

two archer at the hill cherry pick my weakest character, while being unreachable, which force me to do cheesy tactics (like self healing priest) to keep them busy. Why my archer dont shoot them down? cause they are throwing debuffing mixtures at my enemy. BUT if there is less armored warriors on south, you can manage some spare turn to shoot them down.

what "table" ?

bug:
go to menu (in camp) > Save > close button not working
why there is no Load game option?!

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
"table" - this is the level of my English :(

The heroic call from the Warboss. I think it's okay...

About "go to menu (in camp) > Save > close button not working" - It happens because of the windowed mode. There was a new idea of how to fix this finally.

"why there is no Load game option?!" - The game is not about "save-load". So I thought that it was not needed here.

Lagi

Savant
"why there is no Load game option?!" - The game is not about "save-load". So I thought that it was not needed here.

Thats really good approach. The more I say this idea should be support with more "forgivable" economy = more money.

Lagi

Savant
since the last version (because I played many time previous versions, sadly only variety in mission that was add by this time, is option to resign from beating the elves)

orc mission I do more than 3 times, i think i play it total 5 times.
elves one time - and I win :D
necro i do 3 times (all lost)

+ I replay the first missions (1,dark,child) to save more gold and lose less guys. make save and then continue.

its funny and shit, but after you beat orcs get the fancy helmet and you see the sign: here beta is over, you lost you will to waste your life on computer games.

and you? Trash? how do you find this interesting title?

Trash Player

Scholar
its funny and shit, but after you beat orcs get the fancy helmet and you see the sign: here beta is over, you lost you will to waste your life on computer games.

and you? Trash? how do you find this interesting title?
I was feeling empty inside when I saw the beta over! caption the first time.:prosper:

I find the attrition aspect very welcome, it is quite rare to find such a balance in risk and reward: troops are not too flimsy so initiative and reach advantage, which are always
very powerful in a geometric turn-based system, become the dominant metric; they are not hp sponge either that casualty is only a remote concern. The relatively uniform hp
range and low gaminess of the subsystems are rather refreshing, too.

I played on Nightmare for about 4 times. The difficulty is just right but I realize it is hard for most players. I did play DoW though.
The first three tutorials can be completed without reload and

casualties reliably with the right setup.
For the rest, it can still take 3 tries or so for each of them. I can usually find room to improve play, either placement or potions or whatnot.

Lagi

Savant
I find the attrition aspect very welcome, it is quite rare to find such a balance in risk and reward: troops are not too flimsy so initiative and reach advantage, which are always
very powerful in a geometric turn-based system, become the dominant metric; they are not hp sponge either that casualty is only a remote concern. The relatively uniform hp
range and low gaminess of the subsystems are rather refreshing, too.

:philosoraptor:eee... yeah

Nightmare?! Sweet Jesus :shredder:. I play only standard.

Just "discover" human companies in Drums of War :incloosive:.
This time no acceleration potion at all. Damn I'm thrilled this game is much fun and mega addictive

edit:
its way more interesting, mostly due to better terrain, littered with trees, houses, boxes, rocks. There is almost no map with open area.

it also harder, enemy always outnumber you. Many time I lost too much units and need to replay mission.

I think I will lower difficulty and play without Healing potion also.

Last edited:

Vlad_Konung

Crasleen Games
Developer
Hi!
Thank you! Do not have time to answer
icon_smile.gif
. I think I will post a new part of the game at the end of the week. I made some corrections. Replaced the sprites of houses.
Best regards,
Vlad

PS Made a gameplay video lasting 12 minutes. I tried to play fast, almost without thinking, so there are gross mistakes :)

Trash Player

Scholar
The new missions are superb. I am happy with the pacing, players not taking loss are going to snowball at this rate though.
Quick impression:
1. The early missions are toned down to a much more manageable level
2. Love the branching mutually exclusive missions, keep it up
3. Fighting against Catapult is hellish and delicious
4. Dark Clouds is awesome, that mage is unlocked only after it makes it interesting for some
5. Scapegoats and Pursuit are both rather awkward: rather easy missions that can be made even easier, breathing room episode I suppose
6. Spiders are back!

Crash:
On enemy Potion(not sure which) Use:
of Draw Event
for object o_but_potion:

Unable to find any instance for object index '102057' name '<undefined>'
at gml_Object_o_but_potion_Draw_64

On Caravan mission complete:
of Other Event: Room End
for object o_aura_com:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 620329.S_auracom(100873, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_o_aura_com_Other_5

Text:
Red tower story text needs proofreading, not sure if there is more.
I will check the tooltip some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom