Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What... have they done to him?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
He's practically a straight 1-1 lift from the WoD cinematic model, just pallete swapped to green.

Problem with that is that we'll have the Warcraft III cinematic where he kills Mannoroth which is firmly in the old Metzen/Samwise era.

They're also not doing the in-engine cutscenes anymore apparently.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Grubby's always smiling, what a swell guy !

I've seen some live gameplay and the game needs quite some work before it looks alright, if it ever does.
My main concern remains how they'll remake the campaign maps. These were very enjoyable, not of equal quality but varied enough to be interesting.
Since they seem decided to remake it to fit wow models, I assume they'd try the same with locations (that's what the straholme map suggests at least), and I'm afraid some simple and efficient maps give way to new scripts and custom animations (for triggers opening gates for example). Which would make the whole thing not so enjoyable.
On the other hand, I expect more details to characterize the locations, and that could be very cool. I'm actually eager to see how the quel'thalas maps of the undead campaign would look like.

Generic-Giant-Spider

WC3 Death Knight being male or female doesn't matter because if your Death Knight doesn't look like this:

110509_olddk.jpg

Then your Death Knight isn't good enough anyways.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I don't care if the Death Knights are reskinned as transexuals. Just keep the gameplay 1:1 and release the ladder balance patch I've been waiting 6 years for.
Bro, there have been so many balance patches in the past few years, before Reforged, that we've seen a period where everyone on the scene was switching to Night Elf due to a Keeper of the Grove meta. Demon Hunter and Blademaster were gutted forcing NEs and Orcs to find new ways (KotG in the former case, Farseer or Shadow Hunter first in the latter), stuff has already changed plenty and people were still not satisfied because the consensus seems to be that the new patches caused a swingy meta.

TedNugent

Arcane
I don't care if the Death Knights are reskinned as transexuals. Just keep the gameplay 1:1 and release the ladder balance patch I've been waiting 6 years for.
Bro, there have been so many balance patches in the past few years, before Reforged, that we've seen a period where everyone on the scene was switching to Night Elf due to a Keeper of the Grove meta. Demon Hunter and Blademaster were gutted forcing NEs and Orcs to find new ways (KotG in the former case, Farseer or Shadow Hunter first in the latter), stuff has already changed plenty and people were still not satisfied because the consensus seems to be that the new patches caused a swingy meta.

Bro, this is me right now.

Downloading classic tonynomyte!
Reading 5 years of patch notes now.

Metas always been swingy, I remember when people went from using armies entirely composed of Shaman spam in Reign of Chaos to when they totally neutered them and introduced that stupid rock-paper-scissors attack-armor system. I still can't believe that carried that RPS attack system into Starcraft 2.

Olinser

Savant
Pro WC3 I actually think the meta is the most open its been in quite a while. Outside cheese like Firelord tower rush everybody but Undead legitimately has 2 useable choices for first hero and a pretty good variety of strategies to use. It's a welcome change from the old automatic 'Archmage, Blademaster, Death Knight, Demon Hunter unless cheesing' meta from 2 years ago.

TedNugent

Arcane
Watch this video interview.

While I err on the side of negativity with Actishittard, a few key points if this (aged) interview is still accurate.

I am actually legitimately impressed if true, especially since I immediately wrote this game off at announcement.
  • The game uses a modified version of the original Warcraft III engine. They believe this will allow play between the original game and Reforged.
  • They also believe this will allow many custom maps to plug and play in Reforged.
  • They planned on including an option to switch back to old graphics.
  • They planned on including several alt models for heroes. In theory this should mean multiple models, e.g. you might not be stuck with the tranny DK.
  • They were debating on upgrading the pathing. I worry about this breaking tower defense maps based on mazing a la sunken defense (the only non-shit td maps)
  • Interviewer was amused by the idea of including old assets in the map editor as this is technically possible (good sign as confirms several bullets above)
  • They didnt know at time of interview whether they were going to use client-server hosting or p2p
  • Reforged will replace base game. He says it will include the original, but let's be honest that's bs. Don't register your CD keys, kids.
  • The game will include full integration into the new retardoland Battlenet instead of the magnificent classic unsupervised Battlenet of yore. Although this was obvious, this also probably means that the original game's Battlenet will get unplugged forever.
  • Blizzard has hired actual public community modders to work on the map editor and integration.

The interviewee strikes me as someone who is not a cunt. We'll see if he gets vetoed by some executive windbags and 'fuck that loser' types.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The interviewee strikes me as someone who is not a cunt. We'll see if he gets vetoed by some executive windbags and 'fuck that loser' types.
Generally speaking I'm very fond of the guys working on stuff like Starcraft: Remastered because they generally seem passionate and open to the community feedback. Blizzard has a lot of good "little guys" working for them, I even felt bad for the guy tasked with selling Diablo Immortal to that crowd last year because he's been credited with revitalizing Reaper of Souls and turning it into an okay game, plus he's had a history of being similarly polite, so that was a real shame that he will now be forever associated with that turd. Similarly Grant from the SC:R team is doing all he can with his miniscule budget of two shoestrings and three people including the cleaning lady. Luckily the community isn't blaming Grant for the fact we still don't have the promised 2v2 ladder in SC:R, he's a good person.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
SC:R feels at least a little bit like a passion project, this seems like a cash grab after they saw that SC:R is a success.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
When I heard they aren't remastering the cinematics (except for the intro one they used to advertise) I decided to cancel my pre-order. This thing is so far behind schedule, art outsourced to asia, and so many discussed features cancelled while wasting resources on gender swapping that I won't be giving them top dollar for it.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
^ looks like that second photo is either running on super low graphic settings or applied some sort of filter post screenshot.. Here's a few I just took from in game:

rJLxEyD.jpg

2tg50xh.jpg

qEaMDax.jpg

Looks fine to me, I'm mostly glad to be able to play in 4k and the hud scales appropriately etc..

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
^ looks like that second photo is either running on super low graphic settings or applied some sort of filter post screenshot.. Here's a few I just took from in game:

rJLxEyD.jpg

2tg50xh.jpg

qEaMDax.jpg

Looks fine to me, I'm mostly glad to be able to play in 4k and the hud scales appropriately etc..
Those ground textures look like shit too.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I was going to say they didnt do much with the facial animations, but when you're working with voice talent that has been so clearly phoned in you really havent got much to work with

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
This game will be the forecast for Bracks nu-Blizzard going forward as it's clearly nowhere near ready for release. Morhaime shitcanned polished, awesome looking games because he was worried about the quality not being up to snuff.

After the afterglow of the newness wears off the game is looking worse, the ground textures are shit and the unit sizes are all fucked up and (probably) way too overly detailed for an RTS. A lot of old fags might not have liked SC2's newer graphics but the silhouettes were clear in that game.

passerby

Arcane
rJLxEyD.jpg

2tg50xh.jpg

qEaMDax.jpg
Those ground textures look like shit too.

Yeep, the ground and trees look just as bad as on the comparisons screenshots. The UI and unit models seems fine at the first glance, so it could be salvaged with AI upscaled original terrain textures.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This whole game was not needed at all. Warcraft 3 stands on its own and its old timey graphics are endearing.
From their point of view, it was needed to integrate Warcraft 3 into the new Battlenet. A cynical and corporate decision. But from a player perspective, it might provide more stability, hopefully a way to rejoin games that you dropped out of, hopefully runs better on multiple monitor setups, borderless window, higher resolution, etc. Hopefully more options for spectators and when watching replays. Its not just "Warcraft III, but blurry, and you pay again". There's some gain in it. Not preordering, or rushing to buy, but it has above zero utility for players. Its not useless.

Vatnik Wumao
This whole game was not needed at all. Warcraft 3 stands on its own and its old timey graphics are endearing.
From their point of view, it was needed to integrate Warcraft 3 into the new Battlenet. A cynical and corporate decision. But from a player perspective, it might provide more stability, hopefully a way to rejoin games that you dropped out of, hopefully runs better on multiple monitor setups, borderless window, higher resolution, etc. Hopefully more options for spectators and when watching replays. Its not just "Warcraft III, but blurry, and you pay again". There's some gain in it. Not preordering, or rushing to buy, but it has above zero utility for players. Its not useless.
Eh, I'm quite pessimistic when it comes to it gaining too much traction. That being said, I loved playing custom maps back in the day (I fondly remember Angel Arena among other things such as TDs and what not), so maybe some good will come out of it if it leads to a renaissance of custom maps as it were.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom