Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warcraft 3: Reforged

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Dawkinsfan69, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    The new one looks gross. What is going on at Blizzard?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    ^ looks like that second photo is either running on super low graphic settings or applied some sort of filter post screenshot.. Here's a few I just took from in game:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks fine to me, I'm mostly glad to be able to play in 4k and the hud scales appropriately etc..

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Maggot Magister Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Those ground textures look like shit too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Pika-Cthulhu Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    I was going to say they didnt do much with the facial animations, but when you're working with voice talent that has been so clearly phoned in you really havent got much to work with

^ Top  
  5. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    This game will be the forecast for Bracks nu-Blizzard going forward as it's clearly nowhere near ready for release. Morhaime shitcanned polished, awesome looking games because he was worried about the quality not being up to snuff.

After the afterglow of the newness wears off the game is looking worse, the ground textures are shit and the unit sizes are all fucked up and (probably) way too overly detailed for an RTS. A lot of old fags might not have liked SC2's newer graphics but the silhouettes were clear in that game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. passerby Savant

passerby
    Yeep, the ground and trees look just as bad as on the comparisons screenshots. The UI and unit models seems fine at the first glance, so it could be salvaged with AI upscaled original terrain textures.

^ Top  
  7. Magnat Arcane

Magnat
    This whole game was not needed at all. Warcraft 3 stands on its own and its old timey graphics are endearing.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    From their point of view, it was needed to integrate Warcraft 3 into the new Battlenet. A cynical and corporate decision. But from a player perspective, it might provide more stability, hopefully a way to rejoin games that you dropped out of, hopefully runs better on multiple monitor setups, borderless window, higher resolution, etc. Hopefully more options for spectators and when watching replays. Its not just "Warcraft III, but blurry, and you pay again". There's some gain in it. Not preordering, or rushing to buy, but it has above zero utility for players. Its not useless.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Magnat Arcane

Magnat
    Eh, I'm quite pessimistic when it comes to it gaining too much traction. That being said, I loved playing custom maps back in the day (I fondly remember Angel Arena among other things such as TDs and what not), so maybe some good will come out of it if it leads to a renaissance of custom maps as it were.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Magnat Arcane

Magnat
    I don't think that it'll happen, whydoibother. Just think that it would be nice were it so.

^ Top  
  11. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    The custom games revival bit? Its iffy, all the yesteryear's modders are today's indie devs, what with free engines and Steam publishing making it possible to go at it with a small team. But Age of Empires 2 HD had a strong re-launch on Steam, regularly several thousand players online, it revived the game. And with DOTA2 spawning that Autochess genre via a custom map, maybe more people will be giving it a go in the old World Editor. I imagine thats why they want to rush it out, capture the lightning.
    Overall I think Warcraft III players will more be more than double what they are today, even a year from release. The playerbase will grow, with nostalgic people coming back and some staying, with Starcraft 2 refugees, and with new fans realizing RTS is actually a fun genre, despite being dead for a decade.

^ Top  
  12. Magnat Arcane

Magnat
    Hopefully, s1sede.

^ Top  
  13. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    The only thing i would have liked is an improvement over the AI for single player and custom games. The AI is one of the things they actually did right in Stacraft 2. Instead of wasting time shoving wokeness nobody asked for they could do things like that since they already decided they are going to mess with the original instead of keeping it the same like they did with the Starcraft remaster.

I also read they are going to add more single player maps and "story". Prepare for even MORE Sylvanas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Its cartoony graphics were shit even when the game released and heralded an era of aesthetic deroute in Blizzard games which hasn't ended yet even if it seems D4 might finally bury it. Jury's out on the ladder

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    That's not a valid criticism. Warcraft 2 already had cartoony graphics, so Warcraft 3 didn't do anything it's predecessors wasn't already doing. And to see just how good the visuals of Warcraft 3 actually are you just have to compare it to a contemporary like Battle Realms. Warcraft 3 felt much less like "early 3D", if you get what i mean. There's more variations to the visuals, the animations are better etc, and this makes a massive difference in online play.

No, the issue with Warcraft 3 wasn't the visuals or the style, it was the sub-par writing. A lot of the derpiness of later Blizzard started with this game. Not that their previous games were narrative masterpieces or anything, but they didn't have cringy "anime" moments like the encounter between Arthas and Illidan.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Wait what? Are we saying that Warcraft 3 was not good now? Warcraft 3 was great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    Contrarian arms race going out of control.

^ Top  
  18. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Didn't you know? Every game is shit on the Codex.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Depends which part we are talking about.

Multiplayer was good. Presentation was good. The design of the campaign was good. Tone and writing however left much to be desired and i consider Warcraft 3 to be the beginning of nu-Blizzard in a way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    OK yes, that I can go with. I'd say that the WC3 campaign was the last decent Blizzard campaign but you could notice sings of decline

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Who is saying it wasn’t

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Got the feeling Lyric Suite was saying that but he clarified

^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Those Warcraft 3 Reforged models are pretty shit, huh? They WoWified everything.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Magnat Arcane

Magnat
    Eh, they look similar enough to the real deal when zoomed out, so I shan't complain about it.

• cuck cuck x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    The night elf models are out. I don't know what's up with this remaster, but most of them (including other races) look like early alpha. Even if we discard the aesthetic shift, it still doesn't have that Blizzard polish, it looks indie at best.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)