Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warframe

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played this, pretty much a copy of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but not that fun. Less tactical and classwise. Maybe changed somehow since I last played, but I doubdt it changed much.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I like the character and weapon designs. The lore is also quite interesting.

The game is grind heavy though.

Martius

Liturgist
I played this, pretty much a copy of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but not that fun. Less tactical and classwise. Maybe changed somehow since I last played, but I doubdt it changed much.
Personaly I feel otherwise. Gameplay is more fluid, there are more option with movement like sliding, wall running and so on. Altough I have to agree with chestburster, if you dont want to pay you could be turned of by grind. In theory you can get anything in game (if we dont count cosmetic like colours, skins and so on) without paying anything but that can take some time since drops are very random.

Oh, if anyone remember Dark Sector then Warframe is pretty much was that game was supposed to be at first.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
So i've played a little bit, and I like the general art direction, and the weaponplay, but I get the distinct feeling that post grinding, there's nothing to do. I'm very weary of investing significant time in to the game, since it appears that the satisfaction comes from grinding to an overpowered character, rather than killing bosses.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
started playing this when bored and didn't like it much at first, but it grew on me and things start getting difficult (or less easy anyhoo) around earth (mercury and venus can be finished by p. much switching to melee and guarding, other than bosses). gotta say it only ever feels grindy when playing solo or trying to farm a boss for a certain drop.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
So I came back playing this game after several months of hiatus. And I just realized how UNIQUE this game is.

This game is the only loot-driven co-op third-person game with proper gunplay and proper melee.

The gunplay is properly old-school 3rd person: no cover popamole, none-ADS works perfectly fine, light-parkour system allows your character to move super fast.

The loot system doesn't suck unlike Boredlands 2 because: every gun is viable for appropriate maps, every resource drop is useful (even money which is usually useless in Diablo-like games other than for gambling), good balance between RNG and guaranteed drops, player-driven trading is not Auction House 3.

This along with Path of Exile is microtransaction done right. Gladly spent five bucks on it for cosmetics. And trading with other players gave me additional $5 worth of in-game currency.

Dr Tomo

Learned
The game is grind heavy though.

Well it is going to get worse.

Chinese MMO house Perfect World buying Warframe developer
Warframe developer Digital Extremes appears to be in the throws of acquisition.

Behind the purchase are two Chinese companies. One you'll have heard of before: Perfect World, the MMO company that bought Cryptic Studios (City of Heroes, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Neverwinter) and made everything free-to-play.

The other company you probably won't have heard of: Sumpo Food, a chicken meat company.

It's on Sumpo's website that a document announcing the co-acquisition of Digital Extremes can be found.

• "The board of directors of the Company is pleased to announce that on 30th June 2014, the Company, Perfect Online Holding (the Company and Perfect Online collectively the Purchasers and each of them a Purchaser) and the shareholders (the Vendors) of Digital Extremes Ltd. entered into a non-binding term sheet, pursuant to which the Purchasers intend to purchase, and Vendors intend to sell, all the outstanding shares of Digital Extremes, subject to due diligence and execution of definitive agreements between the parties."
But the news hasn't gone down well with a portion of the Warframe community, which organised a strike (via PSU) that ends in two days' time. Those people feel Perfect World would "brutally murder our beloved game" - ie. ram more aggressive micro-transactions into it.

It's not clear exactly how much support the strike has had or whether it's had any effect whatsoever on Perfect World or the acquisition deal.

I asked Perfect World but hit a closed door: "Perfect World Entertainment does not have any comment on purchases and acquisitions at this time," a spokesperson told me.

Canadian developer Digital Extremes has been around since 1993, and found success by co-developing the Unreal series of shooters with Epic Games. Digital Extremes finally went it alone with average third-person action game Dark Sector in 2008, before helping on games such as The Darkness 2 and Homefront, and then following it up with a Star Trek Into Darkness movie tie-in - a game Star Trek movie man JJ Abrams had a pop at.

Then came Warframe, a lacklustre four-player co-op third-person shooter for PC and PlayStation 4.

*source

mandatory :necro:

came back to this after beta, when the game felt shallow, repetitive and boring to tears, and the game now is good. actually good.
it's fast, furious, often brutal (it's not hard to make a wrong move and being gangraped), there's a lot of variety in weapons and frames, skills are rarely if ever redundant giving frames distinctive playstyles and builds different missions for every taste (there are some which don't even need to fire a single shot in), cards to improve, pets to collect and, most of all, no real grind required.
yes, that's true, the game don't really require grind. once you understand that bosses and 4-people-team defense missions drop the most, you pick the one with the resource you need (no secret knowledge, it's all clearly written) and do it once or twice. that's it. example: some weapons require 2-3 neurodes to be built, and those are one of the rare resources. i just earned 3 from a single mission. i've been lucky, usually only 2 drop.
the catch, the money, is in the wait: almost everything can be crafted, but it takes 12 hours for the basic stuff, 1 day for most of the stuff and 3 days for a frame. also until very high level the items required to upgrade frames and weapons are extremely rare and can be built only one every 24 hours.
not a big issue if you have a life, after all.

you can find me in game as "MadMaxHellfire".

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/
free.
even if some money could be required because inventory slots can't be crafted and nobody wants to have 2 frames and 6 weapons max. daily lottery can give out 75% discounts on in-game currency, i spent 11 euros and could buy everything i wanted and some more, and i have still spare currency.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I have an OBSCENE amount of time sunken into this game (Steam says 5260 hours but Steam is bugged because the game's launcher runs in the background even when I stop playing, and Steam counts the launcher's running time... but I digress).

I have pretty much everything in the game. Those stuff I don't have, I can easily put them in the foundry (the crafting station) at night and the next day I can have the item. Resources are not a problem for me anymore.

I have spent a total of $5 in this game. Currently I have the equivalent of $120 of in-game premium currency.--All obtained from trading with other players.

In terms of "free-to-play or not?" this game has a massive barrier when you're at about 100 hrs into the game. If you get lucky, or put in about $5, this game's whole "pay-to-advance" barrier basically disappears, because you can get anything and everything from trading. There are so many ways to make money (in-game money of course, not real money) in this game, you won't ever need to spend any real money ever again.

I'll say this: the gameplay is amazing (awaiting the mandatory pitchfork squad). But truly, this game now has almost 200 weapons, all of them feel VERY distinct from each other, from rocket launchers, spool-up machineguns, lasers to weird ones like harpoon guns, goo guns, freeze rays and energy saws, and I haven't even mentioned the melee weapons yet. Melee weapons use a "button combo" system with damage multipliers, hit combo counts, blocking, execution and such. The melee system is at least as good as, say, Darksiders.

And the graphics are nice without over-taxing my PC.

In terms of grinding, I still say it's grindy, but only if you WANT TO GRIND. There are a lot of (almost) meaningless grind sinks in this game, designed to lure you to grind. If you don't like those, don't let the OCD take control of you. Don't fall for those boring grind sinks. The game actually has a very diverse path of developing your character. Find something fun to do. Don't run those boring grind missions over and over again until your brains bleed.

Also the game recently implemented PVP. Fast paced with a lot of double jump, float in the air and dodge, tracking targets with continuous fire, etc. Time-to-kill is very long. Duels can last as long as minutes between two good players. It's almost like Quake.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I agree, the gameplay is now pretty damn fun.

Sadly the grinding can get pretty silly in the long term for people like me who doesn't play the game with bros. But that just makes it one of those games that are great to play for a few days, drop it for a few months when I get tired of it, then pick it up again later.

i know how to convince the whole codex warframe is the game to worship.
meet the PHAGE!

i know you already like it by its name.
what is the phage? the phage is basically a tentacle projector for tasteful rape of the enemies.
i know you want it. you know you want it now.

Alfons

Prophet
Sadly the grinding can get pretty silly in the long term for people like me who doesn't play the game with bros. But that just makes it one of those games that are great to play for a few days, drop it for a few months when I get tired of it, then pick it up again later.
Yeah. I played it for about 8-10 hours this week and I'm ready to put it down for about a year.

Bottom line is that the game is repetitive as fuck if you don't shell out cash. I can see how trying out different guns, frames, and mods might be cool, but good luck getting any. I made/bought a couple of guns but I'm already bored. There are barely any mission types so the variety is supposed to come from youe loadouts and shit, but again, good luck getting enough shit to change it without doing the same crap for a few hours.

I just fucking hate the freemium model. I'm yet to see a game like that which isn't fucking insane. Which do you prefer, spending a few hours farming warframe components and blueprints, the blueprint for the thing that doubles the "socket capacity" and its components and then waiting at least 90 hours before you actually get to use them or just pay 25 bucks and get it now? What kind of fucking choice is that? :?

mission types i get on top of my mind:
exterminate (kill all)
defense (defend an item from harder and tougher waves of enemies)
interception (king of the hill with 4 hills)
survival (survive as long as possible among infinite harder and tougher enemies while running around looking for items which replenish the life support which constantly ticks down)
sabotage (find the item and destroy it)
spy (reach x rooms, solve some stealth/jumping puzzles, huge bonus if not being seen/not tripping traps)
deception (bring an item which locks the main weapon to a target)
mobile defense (like deception but the target needs to be defended briefly)
capture (reach, kill and un-reanimate a single target)
assassinate (kill a powerful boss)
rescue (find the cells, enter unseen, take the target to evacuation)
hijack (take to the exit point a truck whose engine is fueled by nearby players' shields)
hive (find the hive nodes, identify the tumors and destroy them before destroying the nodes which provide different boni to nearby enemies)
extraction (defend the extractors and keep them powered up with power cells taken from specific enemies. extractors can spawn everywhere)

and there are some more i'm forgetting, are a mix of those, are the same kind but are played while flying at high speed in open space with a special frame, or belong to planets i've yet to reach. and then the missions can be interrupted by the arrival of bounty hunters, alarms going off, doors being sealed, spaceship windows shattering and so on.

about grind: 99% of the blueprints require credits (they're constantly showered everywhere, there's shortage only if you're crafting 4-5 items at once while buying synthesizers while paying for two syndicates at once. so only if you're a masochist), some common resources (which are, by definition, common) and 1 or 2 of the same rare resource.
now, if you're very very unlucky and do a single round of defense/survival (which amounts to about 5 minutes), you get one. some days ago i've been caught in an insane 40 minutes survival mission, monsters came from the fucking walls. i got enough rare resource to build 4 of the most expensive/insane equipment and enough of the rest to build everything else. everything. else.

everything can be crafted, the limits which need to be unlocked with in-game premium currency are the inventory slots for frames and weapons (sadly, they're of essence to have a decent choice, and by mid-game the right weapon can be the difference between surviving the mission or being slaughtered in the first room*)(*: weapons can be more effective than others at different jobs, but weapons are hardly "better" than others. with my surprise some of the most suggested weapons are also some of the cheapest to build) and vanity items.
but guess what: there's a market. people sell and buy stuff. some of the most sought items are those golden fusion cores which, guess again, drop in every. fucking. mission.
every. fucking. mission.
starting from the first one, they have a chance to drop anywhere. and i don't even know how many i have sitting in my inventory because, after all, they're sort of optional to use and are most useful only to very high levels.

also the time required to craft an item is a non-issue: there are items which can be bought with simple credits. then you just don't buy a weapon and that's it. it needs to be used, leveled up, modded, maybe tried with several loadouts against different enemies to find how it works best. do you want to ditch it away after 12 hours already? don't you want to stick with it for at least a day? because 24 hours (real hours, not in-game hours) is the time it takes to craft the most complex weapons, and it takes 72+12 for the frames. four frigging days. do you know what you can do during those four frigging days? level up the frame and the weapons you already frigging have.

TL;DR: QQ, git gud, l2p, shut up n00b.

also, for the pleasure of the codex: more tentacles for tasteful rape.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Dude? Do you work for these people? Your pitch sounds exactly like every fucking freemium pitch out there. I don't know about you, but I just want to play the fucking game. If I wanted some player based economy I would go play WOW.

is the time it takes to craft the most complex weapons, and it takes 72+12 for the frames. four frigging days. do you know what you can do during those four frigging days? level up the frame and the weapons you already frigging have.
So what? What do I get for the grinding I did to acquire my new frame? "Go do some more grinding or take a break, fun! But don't forget to login every day to pick up your carrot.":lol:
TL;DR: QQ, git gud, l2p, shut up n00b.
This is indeed a very skill intensive game. :roll:

i guess you didn't read anything i said at all. or probably you didn't understand.
do you want proof i'm not paid? listen to this: you're a fucking retard.
better now?
of course not, because you didn't read or didn't understand and you'll keep at it.
So what? What do I get for the grinding I did to acquire my new frame?
i don't know... maybe... YOUR NEW FUCKING FRAME?
and while you simply learn how to use, level it up, you gather enough to build more and more stuff.
i don't farm, i almost only do some random special missions, the 6 dailies of the syndicates (and not always) and maybe a defense or two, because i'm lazy as fuck and hate repetitive stuff as much. i just checked: i've been crafting faster than i could level up (yeah, even with the oh so dreadful 24 hours crafting cycles) and i have to spare 16 neurodes, 17 neural sensors and 15 orokin cells, which means between 7 and 15 rare weapons more, and still have already built weapons to try. and i'm a low-mid level player (rank 9 out of 30) i still have to reach the planets where resources supposedly rain from the sky.

why am i even explaining this extremely simple stuff? first you say you want to play, then you complain the game is about playing. go back to your inbred family.
(see, another proof i'm not paid. how many do you need? i got many more, you seem to need all of them)

Alfons

Prophet
More retarded fanboy babble. Have fun doing the same shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom