Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warframe

they're just too long. i hate survival because it starts to get fun around the minute 15 but i've been sick of that already 5 minutes earlier than that. even longer endless missions? how about no? harder? yes. more complicated? sure (but not like this annoying little drone which dies with any aoe you can bring, just any, but it often gets lost in the mess and, most of all, renders limbo, the almighty limbo, absolutely useless, actually detrimental to the team), but longer? hell no.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah they're a slog. The only one we've done that was fun was a corpus survival, mostly because it kept us on our toes. Certainly won't be doing these again once we have all the offerings we want.

Gerrard

Arcane
When has Limbo NOT been detrimental to the team?
:troll:
Making everyone unable to use their guns was a great teamwork promoting feature.

Lhynn

Arcane
Adaptation is useless on squishy frames, getting hit 9 times per element means youll more than likely be dead.

Best use of the mod is keeping it unranked and slotting it on a very hard frame, it goes great with umbral modded frames because of its mere 2 points of drain.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
I didn't die when I tested it against level 80 corrupted heavy gunners, but I have arcane guardian too. I also don't use umbra excal so that doesn't mean too much to me.

Lhynn

Arcane
Any frame can use umbral mods. Some frames can get incredible with them, like nidus or inaros.

The problem is they their drain of 14 and the fact that the umbral polarity is impossible to get on any frame means you have 42 drain right there. So every point matters.

Because Adaptation caps at 90% no matter what, and starts with a drain of 2 and ends with a drain of 10, you can just save yourself the endo and the drain and leave it unranked and it will perform roughly as well on really tanky frames. On squishy frames it really doesnt matter as by the time you build a 90% of resistance you are more than likely death, or quite possibly going to get attacked with a different element.

I dont think it justifies the slot on anything with below 150 base armor.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Which is why I don't bother wedging umbra mods into my frames, it just isn't practical. Sticking adaptation on frames that can already tank would be redundant, I don't die very often as it is so I wouldn't sacrifice the slot just for that.

Lhynn

Arcane
Those are meant for arbitrations, sorties and hours long endless. Well see what fortuna and the tau system bring tho.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think Adaptation justifies its slot precisely when a frame has lower base armor. It's pretty much the most reliable way something like Volt can increase its durability. One handy thing is that one-shots rarely have exotic damage types, usually at least one of the common enemies matches the main damage type, and that generally causes you to get at least some flak hits every now and then that build and keep up the 90% reduction. Though as I say again, at least on paper. I'm still gauging how effective 90% reduction that stacks with armor and powers really is.

Lhynn

Arcane
I think Adaptation justifies its slot precisely when a frame has lower base armor. It's pretty much the most reliable way something like Volt can increase its durability. One handy thing is that one-shots rarely have exotic damage types, usually at least one of the common enemies matches the main damage type, and that generally causes you to get at least some flak hits every now and then that build and keep up the 90% reduction. Though as I say again, at least on paper. I'm still gauging how effective 90% reduction that stacks with armor and powers really is.
It's not 90%. It's getting to 90%. You are better off just finding a way not to get hit.

I don't think any content where you get oneshotted will be any easier with the mod.
It will be useful on level 50-80 with Squishies. But you should find better ways to survive than to get hit all the time.

I don't see it as game changing and will probably just use it with my Oberon and nekros.

Vaarna_Aarne

Gist is that most one-shots are really just a rapid number of hits. The only genuine one-shots tend to be due to radiation proc.

To me, I'd say the important bit is that the only way to totally avoid being hit is if you either 1) fight only from hiding, 2) have abilities that can prevent being hit at all, which is basically the same thing as 1. Even 1 can only really work with abilities anyway, since enemies are actually pretty accurate. In just general play (particularly for me because I use melee 99% of the time), I've noticed that there's always one or two 90% stacks of Adaptation. The thing I still have to gauge is does that 90% really make much of a difference whether or not your frame is durable in the first place.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yes. Fighting lvl 120 corrupted can really destroy you in a matter of seconds. Nezha and Mesa already come with 90% res built in in the form of a skill and they still get wrecked.

Bombards I'm general will oneshot you unless you are tanky.

Besides cc is cheap. Rhino can keep enemies perma incapacitated. Excalibur has radial blind, etc. And these are map wide, meaning your resist is at the mercy of your team.

Loki is basically intargetable 100% of the time.

This game has tons of ways not to be hit built into most frames and almost every team. The mod is useless then.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

I've never actually gotten one-shot by a Bombard I think. Kinda odd really.

Also keep in mind I play solo only because I venomously despise pugs and in general think teams make the game too easy. So I always think only and solely in terms of solo performance. And I think depending on using ZA WARUDO, Radial Blind, or invisibility more than once in a while (or if the game tries to fuck with you with some bullshit so you fuck it right back) is unfun.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, sure. whatever. If you play solo spawns are so low you can basically play with anything and it shouldnt be a problem.

Codex Year of the Donut
volt increases his durability by being offensive
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Capacitance

Vaarna_Aarne

Shields can be bypassed and augments also take a mod slot. In terms of effectiveness, my money is on Adaptation over overshields. At least on paper.

Well, sure. whatever. If you play solo spawns are so low you can basically play with anything and it shouldnt be a problem.
The only effect a bigger group will have is moar xp and drops. With a full team powers and auras basically cancel out any downsides more enemies might bring.

Gerrard

Arcane
Against level 80 enemies Adaptation does literally nothing unless you're Inaros. But if you're Inaros those enemies already barely register anyway, so what's the point. I'm honestly not even sure if it's working properly.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Well I'm telling you fully ranked I could toe it with 80 corrupted heavy gunners with nova and octavia, I wouldn't want to do it for long. Also why would I ever run adaptation with Inaros when his augment does that job so much better?
I was never arguing the case for replacing a mod with adaptation, I usually don't get hit, but it does mean they don't die horribly when I fuck up. The vazarin polarity doesn't help things any since it has very limited uses, I'm either running vitality for tanks or overextended for CC/AoE, but rarely ever both.

Gerrard

Arcane
Also why would I ever run adaptation with Inaros when his augment does that job so much better?
None of Inaros' augments do anything with damage resistance, what are you on about?

E: it appears the mod is fucking buggy in simulacrum (or at least I hope it's just in simulacrum), sometimes doesn't work at all even though you get the buff icons

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
You're right, I was thinking of negation swarm which only stops status effects. Still, I don't see the need to add more defense on top of Inaros.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well in case of Inaros it'd just be for being utterly unkillable. If I got the math correctly offhand it'd be some ~0.25*0.1 reduction to damage received.

(And I still can't really give any sort of verdict on the Adaptation's general effectiveness; still gotta get the feel for it and probably play with multiple frames)

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Used it yesterday to stay afloat in the last sortie, running Oberon with adaptation to deal with the radiation. It worked out very nicely. It seems to be for certain occasions, I wouldn't give up a slot all the time for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom