Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War - turn-based 4X from Slitherine

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.slitherine.com/game/warhammer-40000-gladius-relics-of-war

https://af.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_gladius_relics_of_war?as=1649904300

Another Warhammer 40K strategy game from Slitherine, developed by Proxy Studios of another sci-fi 4X game Pandora.

ss_a726f9da44e61603d43e26162de35ea74fc0287e.600x338.jpg

ss_d9807e1391b0ac47dce4dba586cc0e39576eaeee.600x338.jpg

Gladius Prime was known to Imperial scholars as a planet of archeological interest. During its colonization ancient relics were found, revealing hints of a shrouded past. But it was more than relics. Something awakened, an unspeakable horror from an ancient past, and the citizens of Gladius found themselves trapped in a terrible war for survival.

Gladius Prime was once a planet of peace. Now there is only war.

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War
brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planet’s resources.

In the first 4X turn-based strategy game set in Warhammer 40,000 you will lead one of four factions: Astra Militarum, Space Marines, Orks and Necrons, each with their own unique gameplay, technological tree, units and heroes.

Face a challenging AI or cooperate or compete with friends and strangers across the globe.

Gladius_explore.jpg

Play as one of four iconic Warhammer factions (Astra Militarum, Space Marines, Orks or Necrons), each with their own unique playstyle and technology tree. Explore a randomly generated world filled with special features and threatening wildlife that can crush your troop's morale. Secure control of powerful ancient artefacts to grant you an edge against rival factions.

Gladius_expand.jpg

Construct cities, buildings and fortifications to expand your empire and produce an army to vanquish your foes. Harvest resources and research new technologies to fuel and upgrade your machinery of war.

Gladius_exploit.jpg

Progress through a different storyline with each faction as their destiny on Gladius Prime, a world tainted by the warp, unfolds. In the end, when all the dust has settled, only one faction can emerge victorious.

Gladius_exterminate.jpg

Command a wide array of devastating weaponry, issue city edicts and deploy tactical operations. Recruit hero units that possess distinct special abilities and can be equipped with items, ranging from advanced grenades to mighty relics of the past. As they become more and more powerful with each rank, they turn into true champions of your cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do they insist on Space Marines fighting the Imperial Guard? This should be the same faction at the 4X scale...
OTher than that, it sure has potential.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why do they insist on Space Marines fighting the Imperial Guard? This should be the same faction at the 4X scale...
There are plenty of lore excuses to justify conflict within the imperium, but it's weird that they'd include two of them over chaos or a xenos faction.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
but it's weird that they'd include two of them
One faction is popular, another interesting.
Should have just been Imperium faction, with SM being the high tier units.

4xing space marines don't really make sense, each chapter is only allowed a total of a thousand dudes. That's not enough to form a city, let alone something approaching a 4x faction.

Could be good but Slitherine though...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

4xing space marines don't really make sense, each chapter is only allowed a total of a thousand dudes. That's not enough to form a city, let alone something approaching a 4x faction.

Slitherine made a few good games (Fields of Glory 2, Pike and Shots), but their campaign mechanics are usually uninspired, even from games they just copied (eg Panzer Corps vs Panzer General 2).

Slitherine made a few good games (Fields of Glory 2, Pike and Shots), but their campaign mechanics are usually uninspired, even from games they just copied (eg Panzer Corps vs Panzer General 2).

well slitherine is not a single company with a single or limited vision, its many companies and slitherine promotes and often fully or partially funds the games. So the campaign and mechanics will depend more on the particular designer, although I am sure slitherine/matrix offers guidance at times.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Endless Legend has grouped armies, this looks more like a spitting image of the Warlock series.

lightbane

Arcane
I suppose that this one won't have a Diplomacy research branch then, right? :troll:

Now seriously, this sounds like Dark Crusade but better. We'll see how it goes.
At the very least there aren't eldar nor chaos factions (yet).

Elex

Arbiter
the developers are the same of pandora first contact: so there is hope for a decent civilization clone.

space marine are ok for a 4x faction: yes they have limited manpower in the form of space marines, but they have tons of resource and support staff, and it’s not uncommon for a chapter to fortify and control an entire planet.

it’s more about the specific chapter culture.

ultramarine are the tipical “empire builder” chapter that also govern many planets.

imperial fist have as a personal fetish about building fortificaton and fortess.

a chapter space fleet is a clear example of that, 1000 space marine are not sufficent for manning a small empire space ship, a space marine battlebarge have millions of crew members, so they have to use servitors and standard humans.

also 4x have a simbolic rappresentation of units, you generally see 3/6 dudes and in case of space marine they are actually 3-6 soldier while imperial guard have 100-200 soldiers in a unit.

another question is when the game is set, if after Roboute Guilliman retourn space marine have a lot more resource and no more a limit of 1000 space marine, also they have primaris marines.
After the resurrection of Guilliman in late M41, he began to see many of the flaws that came from overly-strict adherence to the Codex Astartes. As a result, he has reformed much of the Codex and eliminated much of its restrictions on Space Marines. Guilliman ultimately intends to replace the Codex Astartes with the Codex Imperialis.
for the imperial guard vs space marine, remember the base of the game is the table top, and they are separate faction.

also the lore and background have no problem with that, there is an endless list of motive why they can fight each other (and it’s not only about chaos corrumption).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

well slitherine is not a single company with a single or limited vision, its many companies and slitherine promotes and often fully or partially funds the games. So the campaign and mechanics will depend more on the particular designer, although I am sure slitherine/matrix offers guidance at times.
They don't only promote or fund them, they also have a strong say in the direction they go, and their priorities.
In the few betas I took part in, they did call the shots, like most publishers on the planet. The exact relation will vary with each studio of course, but I suppose the ones that can impact Slitherine's IP deals are probably at the bottom of the freedom metter.

Elex

Arbiter

They don't only promote or fund them, they also have a strong say in the direction they go, and their priorities.
In the few betas I took part in, they did call the shots, like most publishers on the planet. The exact relation will vary with each studio of course, but I suppose the ones that can impact Slitherine's IP deals are probably at the bottom of the freedom metter.
there is also GW involved in this case, they don’t care about game balance/rule/mechanics but they can force all they want in other aspect of the game.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Since none could be bothered..

Doesn't sound too bad actually. It looks like it could be a new grimdark Warlock 2 (or a new Civ: BE, depending on the AI).
Edit: I purchased Pandora: First Contact as Slitherine has started its winter sale, and it is quite good actually, unless you insist on comparing it to SMAC.
The AI is pretty challenging and will pile on at the first sign of weakness, but it also works for other AI (they get chain war declarations from the other AI if you manage to wipe enough of their forces), and you end up only investing in military for the whole game, but that would translate nicely to 40K actually.
They went from stacks to 1UPT. It can be done well (Warlock), but it will be very different. I think 1 UPT is better for retaining the 40K feel (because 40K is mostly associated with tactical scale), but that forces changing everything when it comes to IA and combat design (unless this game too is based on the Archon engine or the Panzer Corps one?).

Last edited:

ricolikesrice

Arcane
pretty funny how often this gets compared to Endless Legend and/or Civilization by game journos & popular youtubers : anyone with half a brain ( so obviously not game journos or popular youtubers) just needs to watch 5 mins of gameplay footage to see those games are vastly different in terms of gameplay. Heck, calling this Dawn of War but turnbased (as stupid as it sounds) makes more sense than calling it "Endless Legend in Warhammer dressing".

I ve pre-ordered based on about 10 hours of watching beta-gameplay but unfortunately cannot play for a few days. At worst i expect Warlock: Master of the Arcane 40k ( i still enjoyed Warlock despite crappy balance & AI) but part of me is optimistic that this might not only be the first good 40k title in a while but also the first GOOD turnbased strategy title in quite a while........ hopefully AI / balance arent a letdown.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Fuck, i hope Ail gets to work on the AI for this.

Pandora has fucking fantastic AI due to him (vastly better than (maybe) any other 4x), but the game itself is rather uninspired. A warhammer game with his AI skills sounds great

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom