Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40K: Armaggedon - Turn-based strategy from Slitherine

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not much news from the beta. They said it would really start soon now (which certainly is sooner than it was in August) :
Hi guys! It really is close now.
icon_smile.gif
We just need to round up some things to make beta testing as efficient as possible. Thanks for your patience, you will hear from us soon.
There are rumors that the next White Dwarf will talk about epic Armageddon on Steam, which is probably the same game, even though the Panzer Corp engine was never meant for grand tactical games (but abstracted operational ones) :
http://grotorderly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/white-dwarf-36-przecieki-leaks.html.
so basically, nothing new, but there should be in the coming days. Games Workshop communication on video games is quite puzzling (there is this Creative Assembly's Warhammer game no one heard about, after we learnt that CA got the licence).

Absalom

Eh, will probably be shit but it's too early to tell. Hopefully someone here gets accepted for the beta because I sure as hell am too lazy to bother

Luka-boy

Arcane
Pike and Shot has been released!
http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

Has anyone played it? Impressions? It was made by Byzantine Games/Lordz and published by Slitherine; it's a rare period of time for this sort of game, so I'm curious how it turned out.
Whoa, a proper Pike and Shot game and I completely missed its development? Damn it!

Thanks for the heads up. I will investigate further.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, I played it a bit last night/this morning, it's pretty good. I'm not a big Pike and Shot era fan, so a lot of the fun and excitement is lost on me, but in terms of interface and graphics it's really good. I like the way the units are depicted, everything is very clear, and the interface is extremely easy to use. I don't understand all of the mechanics (should I fire each unit manually, or let them all fire at the end of the turn for "residual fire"? Are these two things even related? I didn't read the manual), but I was still able to play a close match as the royalists against some Scots in a randomly generated skirmish. What was really good about the skirmish was that it wasn't just a head to head clash of two random armies, but rather the game generated a sort of mission with character; I mean, the Scots were on the hill behind fortification, they had a lot of raw recruits, and my royalist forces had a little mission briefing about dislodging the Scots. Little details like that can make the skirmishes as fun as the campaign. I used my massive cavalry advantage to start routing the flank of the scots early on, but then I made a mistake by advancing my men in a wide line directly at the fortifications, and my men were getting pounded into dust and retreating. It's tough to turn around and maneuver the large infantry units. I had a couple of Dragoons that I used to dance around the map; in many ways the game reminded me of a better looking, more enjoyable Fields of Glory. In the end I quit before ending my skirmish because my main line was disintegrating, my cavalry had utterly routed the entirety of the Scottish cavalry and flank, and I initially just wanted to load it up to see what it looked like. I called it a draw in my head, probably would have taken an additional half an hour to finish.

That was a tremendous run on paragraph, but it should give you an idea of why I didn't go to bed until 3 am.

My dick, it's been hit by lightning.

I came buckets the moment I saw beautiful tercios and Gustavus' royal mug on the bottom panel. How did I miss this?

oscar

Arcane
This game seems very solid so far. Excellent presentation, interface and the AI seems fairly on the ball.

What's will all the references to Ottomans, elephants, Aztecs etc in the game's manual though? Are these included in the campaign editor, hints at future free campaigns or just used as a point of reference?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
This game seems very solid so far. Excellent presentation, interface and the AI seems fairly on the ball.

What's will all the references to Ottomans, elephants, Aztecs etc in the game's manual though? Are these included in the campaign editor, hints at future free campaigns or just used as a point of reference?

My guess - DLCs.

As other said, the game (Pike and Shot) has good presentation, ok-ish interface, solid mechanics, nice atmosphere and is about a very rarely expolored historical era. On the minus - there is little content in the base game imo. The number of historical battles is very limited (in addition you can only play one side arbitrary chosen by the devs in each battle). There are no proper campaigns play - only battles. Minor stuff: there is also some usual historical bullshit (lances obsolete in 17th century ? Napoleon formed several regiments of lancers after witnessing their effectiveness... in 19th century; Pistols effective in hands of horsemen ? Yeah, my ass).
Overall, good game but lacks some more meat on its bones.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Slitherine 40k Armageddon is in beta now, Still no info about anything related to the game mechanics. Only statements that it is not a Panzer Corps reskin. Not that the competition in the Warhammer games is fierce anyway...

doggfookker

Educated
How is Battle Academy 2? Pike & Shot looks like the same game just set in another time period. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on either of those, but wonder how they compare.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Slitherine 40k Armageddon is in beta now, Still no info about anything related to the game mechanics. Only statements that it is not a Panzer Corps reskin. Not that the competition in the Warhammer games is fierce anyway...
Have you got some kind of linku to any concrete information?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Have you got some kind of linku to any concrete information?
There has been almost no info whatsoever lately, only some posts in their forums :

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=235&t=51941&start=60#p499520

Re: Beta Test
by IainMcNeil » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi guys

the beta has started. Only a few are in so far so check your mail! More to be added soon!

Good luck and have fun!

Luka-boy

Arcane
I'm mostly interested in knowing if missions objectives and ratings will be more varied than "Attack > Capture this stuff in less than X turns for Major Victory" and "Defend > Hold this for X turns and/or retreat with # units for Major Victory".

I'd love seeing missions about killing specific units or taking a special unit to a specific place for example. Or the game taking into account things like not taking many casualties when completing the objective when giving you a rating, if it isn't a mission where speed is critical for story reasons.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I have played the beta build a little, but I am under NDA so I cannot give my impressions.
Concerning the objectives (I have not played much, so I honestly cannot tell about Wh40K Armageddon), the mega campaigns for Panzer Corps already had more varied objectives than just take all victory objectives ASAP.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Release date has been announced to be November 26th.

After a period of waiting, we are finally ready to share with you that the highly anticipated Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon is releasing on the 26th of this month!

With the beta well underway, we are currently making the final changes to the game based on community feedback. Developed by Flashback Studio and the Lordz Games Studio, Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon is designed to bring the Warhammer 40,0000 universe to life in a deep and rewarding strategy gaming experience.

In “Armageddon”, you will be able to take part in the brutal second war for the planet in a fully narrated campaign, or one of the many multiplayer skirmish challenges. Fans will finally be able to lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines from a variety of Chapters against the Ork invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.

Last edited:

Absalom

I have played the beta build a little, but I am under NDA so I cannot give my impressions.
Oh
Ok
thanks for the input I guess. Still, a beta/early access with only 2 months to release date? Seems kinda suspect to me

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Cautiously fapping. Will NRFI first to see if gud though. Slitherine has been very hit&miss.

Also, it's released on iPad :decline:

Nice. Played Rites of War a long time ago, and loved it back then. Not sure if it holds up today though, but i'll be keeping an eye out on this one.

kris

Arcane
A skirmish battle is a tactical battle? Necromunda and the like are just more focused on smaller groups. One group to be exact.
In tactical scale you command small units like squads, platoons and companies. On skirmish level you command individuals. While individual soldiers are modelled in Wh40k, you give commands to whole squads.

I never heard Skirmish used like that. When we talk about this it is strategic, operational and tactical. Skirmish is just a word for a small engagement and if I udnerstand it correctly can be used for several different scales (in number of men). the use should be more War, battle, skirmish, (duel).

Destroid

Arcane
A skirmish battle is a tactical battle? Necromunda and the like are just more focused on smaller groups. One group to be exact.
In tactical scale you command small units like squads, platoons and companies. On skirmish level you command individuals. While individual soldiers are modelled in Wh40k, you give commands to whole squads.

I never heard Skirmish used like that. When we talk about this it is strategic, operational and tactical. Skirmish is just a word for a small engagement and if I udnerstand it correctly can be used for several different scales (in number of men). the use should be more War, battle, skirmish, (duel).

In tabletop gaming skirmish usually refers to small scale games where you command individuals as Awor said. Wh40k (and probably WHFB) have rules variants for playing like this too, but they aren't very popular.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wargaming#Unit_or_map_scale

:necro: :necro:

Apparently this will be released soon...in Novemver 26th.

http://www.slitherine.com/news/item993

Vwihskl.jpg
Seeing these models go into a :decline: game like this makes me slightly unhappy :( .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom