Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Warhammer: Chaosbane - action RPG set in the Old World, from How to Survive dev

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    Maybe thats why they self destructed WHFB and turned it into Age of Retards just before CA released the TW Warhammer game, I have always found that timing really bizarre.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Maybe. Now that you mention it, yeah.

^ Top  
  3. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    Looks fucking awful, what the shit

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    It is an action rpg, not a strategy game, so having it playable in both mouse\keyboard and controller make sense. I don't get your comment.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I think D&D became more popular when they had popular video game crpgs using the pnp mechanics and not made up, fluff systems for retarded children. I don't know for certain, but I heard more about WotC and Hasbro during 3.5 than any time since, or any owners of D&D prior. I don't think people get sold on a pnp system because some fluff game with the same setting. Books may sell setting enough to drive sales of a pnp system, but I find it hard to believe a video game would increase sales of a pnp game due to setting alone.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Sadly GW is centered around models and minis first, not pnp games or wargames.

^ Top  
  7. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    We were talking about WFRP though. But that would just strengthen the argument since it isn't something they see as valuable as their minis, so have nothing to lose by making a full fledge proper WFRP crpg game in the vein of ToEE.

I say we all pool or resources and start a kickstarter for it with the promise Tim Cain will lead the game once he finishes his current one. Fuck licenses and contracts and getting people's permission - lets raise 5 million dollars and see what happens. Worst case scenario is no WFRP proper crpg by Tim Cain just like there isn't one now. But the best case scenario is worth all the laws we'll be breaking.

^ Top  
  8. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Well the primary problem with making a WHFRP game is that WHFRP is p. shit if you aren't playing a one-shot joke game using the giant career book and totally random character generation so you end up with a party of hobos, drunkards, dung collectors, and such. If you haven't said "I throw my bag of shit at them" as your combat action, you haven't played WHFRP properly.

The Age of Sigmar thing is more about the fact Geedubs' bigger quest, the one of batshit crazy litigation. That's why everyone now has silly names and anything vaguely normal (see, Bretonnian Knights) is simply squatted because Geedubs wants to get those sweet, sweet trademarks. They were kind of traumatized when they learned that they can't sue people for using the word "space" and "marine" together.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    In their minds they do. Who'd buy all those minis and play on table when you could do it on your computer.
    Best case scenarios usually are.

^ Top  
  10. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Why are you shitting on my dreams? My plan is pure magic.

^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Man maybe someday GW will see sense. Don't hold your breath.

^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Arcane Patron

Storyfag
    Vaarna_Aarne I like you man, and respect you for your anti-russkie stance... but them's fightin' words.

^ Top  
  13. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    It's funny how WHF is getting so many games yet AoS has got jack shit. Almost as if people liked WHF or something.

^ Top  
  14. baud Arbiter

baud
    Perhaps because now that WHF has been squatted, GW is not worried anymore about sales of minis. Or perhaps AoS is too generic to make a game out of it. Or again the argument games sales => less mini sales, but for AoS.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    As baud said, my guess too is more in regards to GW no longer caring about the vidya license. Geedubs used to have pretty crazy paranoia about video games eating away mini sales in the 00's, and assuming the thought persists over there odds are the license is essentially free-for-all territory now that they squatted WHFB almost wholesale.

^ Top  
  16. baud Arbiter

baud
    But seeing as they have released no game for AoS yet (two are announced, with only one for PC), it seems that the paranoia is still present for AoS. On the other hand there is a shit ton of WH 40K games, so either their paranoia is selective or the WH40K license is handled by different people.

^ Top  
  17. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    I would figure that it's entirely possible that Geedubs has to a degree lost control of the license after THQ's bankcruptcy, or alternatively sometime after Dawn of War they just got bigger offers in cash.

EDIT: Sega probably did this to them:

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Chippy Augur

Chippy
    What's GW's buisness strategy now? Just draw a pentagram on the floor, fill a bucket of post-it notes with developers' names and thrown the bucket in the air and give the licence to whichever name lands inside it?. Or did they do that last year - now they write random developer' names on a wall and give a bucket of boiled spaghetti and shit to the monkeys at a zoo and go with whichever name sticks...

Fuck it, I need to go back to playing DOW: Retribution.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Chippy Augur

Chippy
    I've always enjoyed the lore of any Warhammer setting, but I could never get into any action RPG. I just can't do all the autistic clicking. Maybe if they made an action RPG with some kind of combat ai for your character, or an auto attack...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    The publisher Bigben has acquired the developer Eko Software: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...or_game_developing_joins_the_Bigben_Group.php

With the recent acquisition of Cyanide Studios, this is part of their plan to be "one of the world leaders of the so-called AA video game segment" apparently.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So, Big Ben and THQ duking it out in the AA space.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    So this seems to be a kind of a diablo like in Warhammer world. It could be interesting if the mechanics of the game are well done and combat feels meaty.

^ Top  
  25. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    I dunno. Diablo will be a hard act to follow. In Diablo II, it always felt like you were hitting someone, the sound, the effects, everything, you know?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)