Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: The End Times - Vermintide AKA Left 4 Dead with Skaven

I have three friends to play the game with so the game won't ever die on me. Suck it down.

Also: It's worth a buy, fucking get it already. No? How about some Skaven-related music?

FUCKING GET IT NOW FAGGOTS

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Left 4 Dead was a pretty braindead game, imho. Hell, if a special enemy did not fuck your day up you could "carry" most groups.
Not happening in Vermintide.

I'm positively surprised from the game.
Also obligatory FUCK GW for ruining Warhammer.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah, had it happen once on the map in the video and another time on wheat and chaff. Its takes like 30 seconds to get into the game again though, so its really not that bad.

Andhaira

Arcane
I've been hearing good things about this game folks. Get's the wfrp flavor down right. Please tell me it's worth playing.

Does it have a good single player component, or is it multiplayer only?

Pretty cool game but it's not really well optimized, runs like shit for how it looks.

Game mechanics aren't really explained but easy enough to figure out.

Playing with pubs is literal shit. Playing with pals it's quite fun. I like the game's WH fantasy aesthetic and I like killing Skaven. Paid around 15USD for the game, which seems well worth it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
But that's what steam and internet are for right? Can't you just log in and join any game going on andor with other players waiting in lobby?

You'd think that was that was the case. I have 3 other irl friends who I play with and its fine when we have a full house, but if it's just me and one other guy who's available, good luck to us. Unless you are playing at a specific (low) difficulty level, or farming specific maps that everyone keeps exploiting for loot, you're going to wait for a while to get people to play with. It's not always as easy and simple as hop in and enjoy, unless you wanna play Easy and Normal.

But that's what steam and internet are for right? Can't you just log in and join any game going on andor with other players waiting in lobby?
You could do that, but it's a shitshow. I think having a loot system was a huge mistake, it leads to people farming and getting pissy when things aren't done at maximum efficiency, leading to newer players being ostracised and more experienced players being jaded.

I'm a firm believer that the only objective to games of this sort should be to win the level. If you introduce any other possible goals, everything turns to shit as people would rather accomplish those other activities once they've seen what the level is about, and fuck everybody else.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bottom line: Unless you're a shill like Saark or a derp like Sammy Corners who buys every other game released and plays it for two hours total you shouldn't bother with this until it's 75% off. By that time you'll see if they actually bother supporting it.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's only worth it if one or more of these three things work for you:
1. Have enough friends to play with
2. Enjoy playing with bots with shitty to decent AI, but be unable to tackle anything higher than hard difficulty (theres 2 more after hard)
3. Enjoy playing with people who can either be utterly retarded and worse than you might possibly imagine or get people who actually know what theyre doing. Of course there is some middle-ground here.

If any of this is true you will find a game that's basically Left4Dead gameplay wise, with some added progression elements and more difficulty-options. You can still get the game on nuuvem.com for ~15$, which is almost half of what it may cost you on steam.

So far I only met two really toxic people in over 60+ hours of playing by myself in random parties, so I would say the community is slightly more friendly than you may imagine. Also, as long as you know what you're doing you can actually carry bad players throughout hard difficulty on pretty much any map, with any character.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
A lot of scrubs whining is all I see.Game is easlly played in pubs,only requirement is not to be retarded drama-queen/smart ass when you know shit about the game.Joining at level 3 on above normal difficulty playing that map for first time should be bannable.Game runs like shit though so be warned.

A lot of scrubs whining is all I see.Game is easlly played in pubs,only requirement is not to be retarded drama-queen/smart ass when you know shit about the game.Joining at level 3 on above normal difficulty playing that map for first time should be bannable.Game runs like shit though so be warned.

You're on the Codex. If it wasn't full of puffed up morons making themselves out to be more awesome than they are... well, I'd be worried that the lizardmen doppelgänger army had finally taken over.

Incidentally: LOOK AT HOW PUFFED UP AND AWESOME I AM WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Something I learned today, in the tavern press L to see all available lobbies. I came across the function while redoing my keybinds, it's odd that the game never mentions it. Have had some difficulty finding games since yesterday.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Something I learned today, in the tavern press L to see all available lobbies. I came across the function while redoing my keybinds, it's odd that the game never mentions it. Have had some difficulty finding games since yesterday.

Wow, that'll be of some help. I actually do not like the tavern menu at all. Seems needlessly obstructive and I hate loading in and out of it.

Yeah, the tavern interface is pretty bad. I guess the idea was to have a hub for in-between maps, but they didn't include almost any functionality and what little is there (inventory, forge) can be accessed via hotkeys anyway, so a menu would work just as well.

They could have had tutorials in the basement or something, some kind of functionality to spawn monsters so players could get familiar with their attacks, etc. Missed opportunity.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It's only worth it if one or more of these three things work for you:
1. Have enough friends to play with
2. Enjoy playing with bots with shitty to decent AI, but be unable to tackle anything higher than hard difficulty (theres 2 more after hard)
3. Enjoy playing with people who can either be utterly retarded and worse than you might possibly imagine or get people who actually know what theyre doing. Of course there is some middle-ground here.

If any of this is true you will find a game that's basically Left4Dead gameplay wise, with some added progression elements and more difficulty-options. You can still get the game on nuuvem.com for ~15$, which is almost half of what it may cost you on steam.

So far I only met two really toxic people in over 60+ hours of playing by myself in random parties, so I would say the community is slightly more friendly than you may imagine. Also, as long as you know what you're doing you can actually carry bad players throughout hard difficulty on pretty much any map, with any character.
So I guess the community is not as good as Payday? A lot of people knew their shit in Payday (2) and quite often the experienced players communicated and explained everything. I only did PUGs and I've managed a few full stealth runs, stuff like that. During plans going awry (90% of the time) people knew ways to at least not lose the mission (throwing/passing loot bags from one to another, proper timing of dropping armor/health bags/turrets). Of course usually there's a weak link on the team (usually me, lol). Shit, people get pissed off at me not doing things super-efficiently and knowing all the tricks.

Guess it helps Payday is objective based, whereas L4D is just about not getting slaughtered.

Regarding bots, after playing for a couple of days I've come to realise that bots are unfit for even normal difficulty. They quite often become stuck in basic geometry, don't help players if they've been attacked by a special spawn and most of the time just sit there doing nothing. Oh, and they don't pick up tomes/grimoires either.

So, if you have 3 competent players I guess a single bot is doable maybe for hard, but anything more than that is just a waste of time.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played Payday so I cannot compare the general skill-level of the players. I haven't really met utterly retarded people though, it's just something to keep in mind when deciding whether you want to play the game since it obviously can happen when you don't have friends to play it with you and are reliant on "randoms".
In the games I'm playing I try to get a general plan going for more complex maps and when things go awry I try to explain what went wrong so the consecutive run can be more successful. I would imagine other people doing the same. Sometimes people simply don't listen or have a better plan but don't want to share it and play like it is a single-player game - which usually gets them killed about a minute into the map. Votekick is a blessing.

In the end none of the coop-horde games are particularly hard to play. In Vermintide there's very few mechanics that you have to 'learn' (like blocking/pushing) that are invaluable. Other stuff like quick-switching between weapons to cancel weapon backswings or throwing barrels/sacks instead of carrying them because you are a little faster that way is just not that important even on cataclysm. Failing a mission on nightmare or cataclysm almost always comes down to:
-Bad luck (once had a rat ogre, gutterrunner, 2 packmaster and a globadier in the yard in Horn of Magnus, not fun at all - we still finished the mission though)
-Teammates running ahead/staying behind point of no returns and getting singled out by a gutterrunner/packmaster without you being able to help (easily avoidable, just stay together) or them getting surrounded in open spaces
-Some idiot forgetting that bombs do friendly fire (easily avoidable thanks to vote kick if it happens multiple times)
-People pulling stationary stormvermin when you could've just headshotted them from afar or pulling patrols
-People with terrible aim who cannot headshot a stationary target like aforementioned stormvermin/ratling gunners

Preventing/solving almost all of these issues (except for bad luck obviously) requires only a minimum of coordination before the map starts or after wiping once. Others can be fixed by simply telling the player in question that he needs to step up his game or be replaced.

Apart from those about half the time a run fails is because people just take too much damage and you don't have the health items to cope with it. You will get hit here and there, but alot of people still take unnecessary damage at every other corner. Once had a waywatcher who insisted to move before the dwarf/soldier who both wore shields to constantly push back the waves, in the end he needed to take 4 healthpacks with the rest barely getting one each. Move as a blob of 4, always cover your back and learn how to block/push away larger groups. Don't rush things, take your time to clear out rooms before moving on. Listen to the game sounds, every elite-mob has a distinct sound way before it gets into vision. Have someone on lookout duty for these occasions, ideally someone with an arquebus or highdamage crossbow. Strength Potions and bombs are your friend. Melee weapons with less than 3 stamina are shit. Not exactly rocket science, and just with that you are equipped well enough to tackle nightmare on pretty much any map, oftentimes with 3tomes and and at least 1 grimoire.

Cataclysm is a whole other beast though, if you don't block the power attack of a stormvermin he will oneshot you from 100% HP and you will have to learn how to use dodges to avoid most of the rat-ogres attacks. The rewards aren't worth it anyway, I'd rather do 3tomes/2grim nightmare runs than 0tome/0grim cataclysm. The spawnrate is insane too and most weapons will need an additional hit to kill clanrats. Cataclysm is there mostly for the challenge and once you are decked out equipment wise, using voice to communicate etc. Otherwise nightmare is a nice difficulty rampup, and a few maps are even doable with bots (if you can stomach the AI and know how to play around their shortcomings).

Otherwise nightmare is a nice difficulty rampup, and a few maps are even doable with bots (if you can stomach the AI and know how to play around their shortcomings).
I'm curious about this really, I've only played a few hours but what I've seen of the bots is appalling, they can't handle basic level geometry and can't handle special spawns, how could it be possible to play Nightmare with them? I don't even think Hard is doable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom