Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhorse Studios bought by THQ Nordic

Deleted Member 16721

PorkyThePaladin what say you?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Please. Invest in some useful skills!
maxresdefault.jpg

You said, "So far nothing changes internally and it should remain as is for the forseeable future." I feel this is naive bullshit and phrased it as such. Maybe you are the one who needs to learn to read. Or maybe you are just really autistic, apologies if so.

Tigranes

Arcane
Try reading the rest of his post.

A third party has always had a majority stake in our company. We faced many grave challenges and at any time (like 3 occasions really) they could have just jumped on the brakes and dissolve the company altogether. This recent change means that now it will be a major company in the games industry who will be deciding our fate and not an individual who primarily dealt in energies.

Anyway, whether Obsidian & MS, or this, or any corporate takeover, of course the dude working at the company has no fucking idea about any internal changes for the foreseeable future. The Origin employee just heard EA's buying them out, dude's not going to be able to tell you what will happen 6 or 12 months later to the corporate structure or to his job or to the decision making process on a game or the power play between old owners & new overlords. There's nothing to believe or disbelieve.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Please. Invest in some useful skills!
maxresdefault.jpg

You said, "So far nothing changes internally and it should remain as is for the forseeable future." I feel this is naive bullshit and phrased it as such. Maybe you are the one who needs to learn to read. Or maybe you are just really autistic, apologies if so.
OK, I know my English is far from perfect and I know the sentence could have been written better but I'm pretty sure there's no major blunder here or a second meaning that escapes so lemme break it down for you:
So far = for the time being
internally = in terms of internal structure of Warhorse and its processes. Nobody is being fired or relocated and nobody is being forced-in as some new overseer.
nothing changes = nothing changes (now)
should = guaranteed assuming all the known facts are correct and all agreed preconditions are met
remain as is = nothing changes
for the forseeable future = as far as we can see (yeah, define that lol)

Nobody guarantees Warhorse will remain the same indefinitely. Nobody guarantees Vávra will not try to retroactivley hamfist POC into KCD in a sudden change of mind, heart and/or gender. Nobody guarantees key people will not jump the ship in, say, 5 years. Nobody guarantees THQ will not release a dozen major flops in the next 3 years ending up in dire straits eventually affecting us. Nobody guarantees we will not, by our own fault(!), fuck up the development of our next project which could (and probably would) force the overlords to intervene. Nobody guarantees that by some magic we will not start hiring incompetent hacks or people with, let's say, completely orthogonal philosophies. Nobody guarantees Vávra will not crash his new Ferrari into a mountain of cocaine (also his). etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Space Nugget

Nobody guarantees THQ will not release a dozen major flops in the next 3 years ending up in dire straits eventually affecting us.

Unfortunately, that's not a matter of "if" but "when"...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, I know my English is far from perfect and I know the sentence could have been written better but I'm pretty sure there's no major blunder here or a second meaning that escapes so lemme break it down for you:
So far = for the time being
internally = in terms of internal structure of Warhorse and its processes. Nobody is being fired or relocated and nobody is being forced-in as some new overseer.
nothing changes = nothing changes (now)
should = guaranteed assuming all the known facts are correct and all agreed preconditions are met
remain as is = nothing changes
for the forseeable future = as far as we can see (yeah, define that lol)

Nobody guarantees Warhorse will remain the same indefinitely. Nobody guarantees Vávra will not try to retroactivley hamfist POC into KCD in a sudden change of mind, heart and/or gender. Nobody guarantees key people will not jump the ship in, say, 5 years. Nobody guarantees THQ will not release a dozen major flops in the next 3 years ending up in dire straits eventually affecting us. Nobody guarantees we will not, by our own fault(!), fuck up the development of our next project which could (and probably would) force the overlords to intervene. Nobody guarantees that by some magic we will not start hiring incompetent hacks or people with, let's say, completely orthogonal philosophies. etc. etc. etc.

Your English is fine, but I'm not sure why you are being so pedantic and autistic as to literally break down sentences. It's not that I did not understand what you said, it's that I think what was said is naive (na·ive [nīˈēv] ADJECTIVE 1. of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.) and FABULOUSLY OPTIMISTIC.

I don't know THAT much about THQ Nordic, but they seem to be alright for a major (these days) publisher. They are buying studios or publishing games that are actually good and AA, not just chasing after big money like the big boys. From what I understand based on various completely unconfirmed rumors, KCD2 is supposed to be a much larger game dealing with the Hussite Wars, for which KCD was almost like a build-up game. If that turns out to be true, they will need some serious cash to produce that much content and scope, so if THQ Nordic provides them with that, might be a good thing. But only time will show really.

Arulan

Cipher
My initial reaction was one of disappointment. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is one of my favorite games in years because it's not made for everyone. A publisher is likely to influence development to push mainstream values. I hoped Warhorse Studios could have stayed independent.

After watching the various documentaries on the development of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, it's also pretty clear how troubled their financial situation was. That lone investor was ultimately responsible for sustaining development. In addition, with publishers like Microsoft trying to scoop up all they can for their upcoming streaming service, and faux competition from Epic Games, the next few years is going to be a turbulent time for acquisitions and development. It's uneasy to think about which of my favorite developers are next to be castrated by the financial aspirations of publishers. Given that, I think THQ Nordic is far from some of the worst outcomes.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Presentation on the acquisition: http://www.thqnordic-investors.com/...rdic-AB-acquires-Warhorse-Studios-FINAL-1.pdf

Part about the future, expanding the team:
  • "Independent studio backed by global publisher. Encourages creative freedom to increase ambitions further"
  • "Team will commence working on next large unannounced project in H2 2019"
  • "120 FTEs strong team and growing. Key people committed to Warhorse and executing on pipeline project.
    FTEs 120 (2018) -> Arrpox. 160 (20XX)"

HK2n3Wv.jpg

Also Vavra's first tweet after the news, no direct mention:

Tigranes

Arcane
We will attribute every positive thing in KCD2 to Vavra's brave fight against the Man, and every negative thing to the said Man. Through this, Vavra's hairy street cred shall live to see another day.

DayofBlow

Educated
Smejki Why the focus on THQ Nordic when Warhorse was bought by the Koch Media/Deep Silver subsidiary according to the press release? They're run completely independently. They'll be the ones publishing and making decisions for your studio. (Like making a last minute Epic Game Store exclusivity deal to piss away all the goodwill you have on PC and losing sales. Also mandatory Denuvo crap and no GOG releases.)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Smejki Why the focus on THQ Nordic when Warhorse was bought by the Koch Media/Deep Silver subsidiary according to the press release? They're run completely independently. They'll be the ones publishing and making decisions for your studio. (Like making a last minute Epic Game Store exclusivity deal to piss away all the goodwill you have on PC and losing sales. Also mandatory Denuvo crap and no GOG releases.)
Why are you answering your own questions?

Simple Simon

Scholar
Presentation on the acquisition: http://www.thqnordic-investors.com/...rdic-AB-acquires-Warhorse-Studios-FINAL-1.pdf

Part about the future, expanding the team:
  • "Independent studio backed by global publisher. Encourages creative freedom to increase ambitions further"
  • "Team will commence working on next large unannounced project in H2 2019"
  • "120 FTEs strong team and growing. Key people committed to Warhorse and executing on pipeline project.
    FTEs 120 (2018) -> Arrpox. 160 (20XX)"

HK2n3Wv.jpg

Also Vavra's first tweet after the news, no direct mention:

Saw this bolded in the presentation: "As reflected in the Balance Sheet, c. 60% of the main game has been amortized." Sorry for being a dum-dum but what does that mean and why is it good? I assume it is good since it is being emphasized.

DayofBlow

Educated
elaborate

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
elaborate
"Why the focus on the parent company rather than the subsidiary actually doing the purchase, which currently does not have a lot of goodwill among consumers?"

Gee, son, I dunno.

DayofBlow

Educated
"Why the focus on the parent company rather than the subsidiary actually doing the purchase, which currently does not have a lot of goodwill among consumers?"

Gee, son, I dunno.
Oh, that's a relief. Thought you were a tard that couldn't read.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
With the punches of envy.

Dude almost gets himself and his family bankrupt trying to make a weird, obscure passion projects. Slaving away for 7 years trying to get some money, put together a team and jump through 10 major hoops a day.

Against all odds he pulls it off, the game is a breakout success and he gets shit for what, enjoying his hard earned dough? All those "hurr, a sell out" idiots can't imagine even an iota of what it takes to design, finance and execute a project like this.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
This is the BiOWare doctor story all over again. Soon Vavra will be kicked off the company, have to sign a contract that bans him from game development for the next 20 years and then he starts brewing beer.

Tovias

Learned
I thought THQ released pretty okay games

why are people so buttmad about this acquisition
They are probably worried that being integrated by THQ could mean some limits to Warhorse creativity. Understandable I guess but my biggest worry is that I find sketchy how THQ is just buying IPs left and right. I don't think they will pull an Epic Games move but it's still really weird for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom