Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warlock: Master of the Arcane is Out

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Paradox; Warlock: Master of the Arcane

The somewhat highly anticipated MoM-alike from Paradox, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, is ready for purchasing. Someone play the demo and tell me how it turned out.

Paradox Interactive and Ino-Co Plus are happy to announce the release of Warlock: Master of the Arcane, a fantasy strategy game of conquest and magic.

In todays launch trailer, the University of Ardania's most eccentric professor regales us with the glorious tale of King Rrat. A tale featuring exploration, expansion, exploitation, and fireball casting rat mages, of course.

View Warlock: Master of the Arcane Launch Trailer - King Rrat here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzx3ERI4Ow

Warlock: Master of the Arcane is a new fantasy strategy game from Paradox Interactive and Ino-Co Plus. Set in the universe from the “Majesty” series, you are challenged to build an empire of steel and magic and unite Ardania at the point of a wand.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane is released today, May 8th via retail and all major digital distribution platforms for a recommended retail price of $19.99.

Try before you fry – play the Warlock: Master of the Arcane demo:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/

Buy Warlock: Master of the Arcane here:
http://www.warlockmasterofthearcane.com/buy

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Fuck, it's past 3 am here and I have work tomorrow.
I dunno yet if this game has enough depth to stay interesting in the long run, but it certainly has that "one more turn" effect that we know and love in classic turn-based games :)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The guys that made this were responsible for the fantastic Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy series so I was always hopeful. They also made the mediocre Majesty 2 series but it's clear that their expertise is in in TB hex strategies so it should be a welcome return to form.

Only thing is not to really count it as MoM clone as it's more of a new Fantasy Wars with a strategic layer added. It doesn't have tactical combat or the all encompassing depth of MoM. Of course knowing it's a Paradox published release there is the likelihood of constant expansions adding stuff along the way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There's a a 50 turn demo on Steam (game is Steamworks, anyway) and some of us have been discussing the game itself in this thread. Overall it isn't anything amazing -- budget title that's a Majesty universe clone of Civ 5. I'm sure I'll pick it up for $5 sometime down the road. Just seems like they left a lot of core mechanics out of the game and it looks like they might have an excessive amount of DLC.

i can't judge the quantity of content, but it looked like an early beta, just the base of a game with a terrible interface. it's just absurd that i have to click on a button on the side of the screen and then click on another button on the other side of the screen just to order a single unit to stay put for a single turn.

Angthoron

Arcane
While the interface is incomplete, having a unit stay put a single turn requires one click after you select the unit. The Sentry mode is different from "pass", it's more like "fortify".

BvG

Novice
I think the interface is fine. The game is simple, but paying the low price they want for it warrants the 3 playtroughs (One for each race) that it offers before becoming boring and repetitive. I've spent about 20 hours on the game, so I consider this a worthwhile buy.

If you expect to play this more often then civ5, then there's something wrong in your head. This is not Dwarf Fortress or A-Train 8, and doesn't try to be. It reminds me somewhat of Sengoku (Paradox): A simplicistic game in a genre known for over the top depth and insane complexity (sengoku still more complex; But then, EU3 is more complex then any CIv-Clone ever).

Sure, there's a weird lack of complexity, documenation and depth, and some UI choices are less than ideal. But it does have a working UI, with some minor annoyances, that quickly vanish once you get the mouse movements remembered after playing for half an hour or so.

I might add a fourth play trough, just to see if the highest difficulty really does not make a difference, as the all knowing internet virgin boys proclaimed.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Difficulty indeed doesnt change much. AI needs a fix since it kind of falls asleep. After that it should be quite competent - even right now it can fight decently.

And 3 games? Wont agree, it has a lot more depth and replayability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom